A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
71.THE HOSPITAL OF HERRINGBY
This hospital was founded in 1447, pursuant to the will of Hugh atte Fenne, for a master, three priests, eight poor men and two servants. It was endowed with eight manors, and with the church of St. Ethelbert, Herringby. Hence this parish church became collegiate, and the hospital is sometimes described as a college. It was also known as the God's House of Herringby. (fn. 1)
The Valor of 1553 names Simon Petyte as the master 'collegii de Heringby voc Goddeshouse' and gives the annual value as £69 12s. 7½d. The eight poor men in the hospital were receiving annually 46s. 8d. each for food and clothing, and the women who looked after them 50s. 4d. according to the founder's ordinance. The sum of 20d. was distributed to other poor persons on the founder's anniversary, and £6 13s. 2½d. in alms to the poor on other occasions. A sum of 66s. 7½d. was also allotted to the bailiffs of Great Yarmouth towards the repair of the gates of the town, which was to be used to relieve the poor from paying their share of a rate for that purpose. The master drew £6 13s. 4d. as stipend, and each of the two fellows £5 6s. 8d. (fn. 2)
This house, which seems to have been exactly fulfilling the intention of its founder up to the last, surrendered to the king and was dissolved on 27 January, 1554. To the surrender two signatures are attached, namely those of John Heithe, master of ' Goddeshouse,' and John Burwyll. (fn. 3)