A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 12, Wootton Hundred (South) Including Woodstock. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1990.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Although Old Woodstock lay in Wootton parish, inhabitants usually attended Woodstock church for convenience. (fn. 8) In 1878 part of Old Woodstock was tranferred to the ecclesiastical parish of Bladon and the hamlet provided with a mission room, apparently in Old Woodstock school; services there were attended by Woodstock people during the restoration of Woodstock church. The room remained in use until the building in 1886 of St. Andrew's mission chapel on land bought from Balliol College. The chapel, promoted by the Revd. Arthur Majendie, rector of Bladon, and financed principally by local contributions, was designed by Charles Blomfield. (fn. 9) It is a plain stone building with lancet windows and a west bell turret. It was out of use by 1932, (fn. 10) and was sold in 1971; it was empty in 1989 when local people were attempting to save a glass mosaic reredos given in 1896 by Mrs. Dulcibella Majendie. (fn. 11)