List of maps and plans

A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 15, Bampton Hundred (Part Three). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2006.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

Christina Colvin. Carol Cragoe. Veronica Ortenberg. R B Peberdy. Nesta Selwyn. Elizabeth Williamson, 'List of maps and plans', A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 15, Bampton Hundred (Part Three), (London, 2006), pp. viii. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/oxon/vol15/viii [accessed 14 June 2024].

Christina Colvin. Carol Cragoe. Veronica Ortenberg. R B Peberdy. Nesta Selwyn. Elizabeth Williamson. "List of maps and plans", in A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 15, Bampton Hundred (Part Three), (London, 2006) viii. British History Online, accessed June 14, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/oxon/vol15/viii.

Colvin, Christina. Cragoe, Carol. Ortenberg, Veronica. Peberdy, R B. Selwyn, Nesta. Williamson, Elizabeth. "List of maps and plans", A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 15, Bampton Hundred (Part Three), (London, 2006). viii. British History Online. Web. 14 June 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/oxon/vol15/viii.

LIST OF MAPS AND PLANS

Note: though maps and plans are listed separately, all text figures are numbered consecutively

Figure Page
1 West Oxfordshire parishes c. 1880, showing area covered by this volume 2
2 Land-use and open fields in west Oxfordshire c. 1750, based on documentary and map evidence 4
4 Alvescot: earthworks (including ridge and furrow) near St Peter's church, surveyed and drawn by R.A. Chambers. Outline based on OS Map 1:2500, Oxon. XXXVII. 1 (1921 edn) 12
10 Alvescot parish in 1797, showing approximate location of open fields. From the inclosure award and map in Oxfordshire Record Office, and documentary evidence 24
13 Asthall village c. 1919. (OS Maps 1:2500, Oxon. XXXI. 1–2 (1921 edn), with additions and amendments) 41
18 Asthall parish c. 1810, showing approximate location of open fields (subdivisions omitted). From inclosure award and map in Oxfordshire Record Office, and estate maps in Gloucestershire Record Office 56–57
28 Black Bourton parish before 1770, showing approximate location of open fields. From inclosure award in Oxfordshire Record Office, post-inclosure maps, and documentary evidence 86
31 Carterton in 1919. (OS Map 6", Oxon. XXXI. SW (1922 edn), with additions and amendments) 102
38 The northern end of Clanfield village c. 1913. (OS Map 1:2500, Oxon. XXXVII.9 (1913 edn), with additions and amendments) 116
43 Clanfield parish before inclosure in 1839, showing approximate location of open fields. From inclosure and tithe maps in Oxfordshire Record Office, and documentary evidence 131
46 Clanfield: Friars Court Cottages (formerly St Leonard's chapel), surveyed by John Blair and Emma Hall. Reproduced from Oxoniensia 50 (1985), 212, by permission of Dr W.J. Blair and of the Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society 142
48 Kencot village c. 1919. (OS Map 1:2500, Oxon. XXXVI. 4 (1921 edn), with additions and amendments) 149
51 Kencot parish c. 1885. From OS Maps 6", Oxon. XXX.SE and XXXVI.NE, and documentary evidence 157
61 Minster Lovell village, church, and manor house, c. 1919. (OS Map 1:2500, Oxon. XXXI.3 (1921 edn), with additions and amendments) 180
62 Charterville in 1851, from tithe apportionment in Oxfordshire Record Office. Reproduced (with amendments) from K. Tiller, 'Charterville and the Chartist Land Company', Oxoniensia 50 (1985), 255, by kind permission of the author and of the Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society 181
64 Charterville cottages: plan and elevation. Plan redrawn from from Northern Star, 13 February 1847; elevation © English Heritage. NMR. BB78/5152 183
68 Minster Lovell Hall, showing building phases. Redrawn, with permission, from the plan in A.J. Taylor, Minster Lovell Hall (English Heritage, 1985 edn) 188
71 Minster Lovell parish c. 1840, showing approximate location of former open fields. From tithe award and map in Oxfordshire Record Office, and documentary evidence 193
74 Brize Norton village c. 1899. (OS Map 1:2500, Oxon. XXXI. 10 (1899 edn), with additions and amendments) 209
81 Brize Norton parish c. 1770, showing approximate location of open fields (subdivisions omitted). From inclosure award in Oxfordshire Record Office and other documentary sources 228