A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 17. Originally published by Boydell & Brewer for the Institute of Historical Research, Woodbridge, Suffolk, 2012.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by Victoria County History Oxfordshire. All rights reserved.
The following note highlights the chief primary and secondary sources used for this volume, but is not comprehensive. It should be read in conjunction with the List of Abbreviations.
UNPUBLISHED SOURCES AND MAPS
Material in the Oxfordshire History Centre (OHC, formerly Oxfordshire Record Office) includes tithe and inclosure awards; diocesan and archidiaconal records (including church terriers and visitation returns); nonconformist records; quarter sessions records (including 18th- and 19th-century land taxes and victuallers' recognizances); miscellaneous private deeds; and locally proved wills and probate inventories. Collections especially relevant to this area include 17th-to 19th-century records of the Bradwell Grove estate (in the Heyworth collection); 19th-century papers relating to the Broughton Hall estate (in the Marling collection); 17th- to 19th-century deeds and estate papers for Grafton manor (in the Pennington collection); and parish records, including some 17th- to 19th-century churchwardens' and overseers' accounts and 19th- and 20th-century vestry minutes. The Centre also holds the collections formerly housed in Oxfordshire Studies (in Oxford Central Library), which were transferred there in 2011. Those include sale catalogues, typescripts, newspaper cuttings, 19th and 20th-century printed ephemera, parish register transcripts, copies of census returns (from originals in TNA), and extensive photographic collections. The combined holdings (including photographs) are partly searchable online through Heritage Search, which is accessible from the Oxfordshire County Council website at www.oxfordshire.gov.uk. The Oxfordshire Historic Environment Record (HER) in Speedwell House holds archaeological and some buildings data, also partially searchable through Heritage Search.
Material in the Bodleian Library includes miscellaneous topographical drawings and photographs (e.g. MSS Top. Oxon. a 65, c 493, d 218); miscellaneous sale catalogues; medieval deeds for Radcot (among MSS dd Queen's College); 15th- and 16th-century deeds for Lemhill in Broughton Poggs (among MSS dd Harcourt); 16th-century court rolls for Broadwell and Broughton Poggs (MSS North Adds. c 2 and c 7); 17th- and 18th-century deeds for Langford (among MSS Ch. Berks.); and 19th-century reminiscences and antiquarian notes by Thomas Banting of Filkins (MS Top. Oxon. e 220).
Extensive material in The National Archives in London includes legal records (e.g. E 134, JUST 1, STAC 8); inquisitions post mortem (C 132–142); feet of fines (CP 25); lay subsidies and other taxation records (E 179); and wills and inventories proved at Canterbury (PROB 3–4, PROB 11). A survey of Beaulieu abbey's lands in Langford in 1551 is in LR 2/187, ff. 190v.–192, and the military survey of Berkshire in 1522, including Langford and Little Faringdon, is in E 315/464. Some medieval and 16th-century account rolls for Broadwell, Broughton Poggs, Little Faringdon, and Radcot are in SC 6, and a medieval court roll for Broughton Poggs is in SC 2/209/57. Later TNA records used include Kelmscott's inclosure award (CP 43/866 Mich. 40 Geo. III), 19th- and 20th-century education records (ED 2, ED 21), tithe records (IR 18), and 20th-century farm surveys and maps (MAF 32, 68, 73). Miscellaneous material in the British Library includes charters relating to Grafton and Langford (among Additional Charters) and Radcot (among Egerton Charters); Beaulieu abbey's Faringdon cartulary (Cotton MS Nero A. xii); medieval court rolls for Langford and Little Faringdon (Add. Ch. 26814); notes on land held in chief in Bampton hundred c. 1625 (Harl. MS 843); and a survey of the earthworks at Radcot in 1912 (Add. MS 38776). The Church of England Record Centre in London holds 19th- and 20th-century Ecclesiastical Commission records relating to property at Kelmscott, Langford, and Little Faringdon, and Church material relating to other parishes. The National Monuments Record at Swindon holds miscellaneous photographs, sale catalogues, archaeological surveys, and buildings records.
Berkshire Record Office holds a medieval court roll for Langford and Little Faringdon (D/EEl M86); miscellaneous deeds for both townships; 17th- to 19th-century churchwardens' accounts for Little Faringdon (D/A2/b 12); 18th-century land tax returns (D/EPb E9); and a 19th-century topographical description of Langford (D/EN Z1/A–L). Lincolnshire Record Office holds the medieval registers of the bishops of Lincoln, in whose diocese Oxfordshire lay until the 16th century; the registers are available on microfilm in the Bodleian Library and elsewhere. Lincolnshire Record Office also holds extensive material, mostly of 17th- to 19th-century date, relating to Lincoln cathedral's prebendal estates in Langford, including valuable surveys of 1650 for the manor prebend (v/viii/v/1/1) and church prebend (CC 120/1363). West Sussex Record Office holds a smaller collection of similar material relating to Chichester cathedral's prebendal estates in Kelmscott and Langford. The Museum of English Rural Life in the University of Reading holds extensive farm records of the Hobbs family of Kelmscott and Meysey Hampton (Glos.).
Private and College Archives
The most useful private archives include those of Trinity College, Oxford, which acquired a substantial estate in Broadwell and Filkins and holds 16th- to 20th-century material including deeds, surveys, accounts, and estate correspondence. In the 19th century Christ Church, Oxford, purchased lands in Grafton and Radcot, for which it holds various estate papers (MS Estates 73). The muniments of The Queen's College, Oxford, contain miscellaneous material from the Middle Ages to the 20th century relating to its estate at Kelmscott, some of which is calendared in Arch. Queen's Coll. II.
The Swinford Museum in Filkins holds a variety of original documents, transcripts, and cuttings, mostly of 18th- to 20th-century date. The collection was started by the Filkins stonemason and local historian George Swinford (d. 1987) and the museum was opened in 1931. The Society of Antiquaries of London holds extensive material relating to the history and ownership of Kelmscott Manor, and some additional material is in the archives of the University of Oxford, from which the Society acquired the house and its land in 1962. Hundredal court records at Longleat House, Wilts. (NMR 3315, court book 1667–73) include references to Broadwell, Filkins, Holwell, and Kelmscott. The 20th-century minute book of the Kelmscott parish meeting and the 19th-and 20th-century log books of Langford school were examined by kind permission of their custodians.
The earliest reliable maps of the area are Rocque, Berks. Map (1761), Jefferys, Oxon. Map (1767), and (less accurate) Davis, Oxon. Map (1797). The first 1:63360 Ordnance Survey maps (sheets 34 and 44) were published in 1828; later OS maps include 1:10560, Oxon. XXX, XXXVI–XXXVII, XLIII–XLIV (1883–4 and later edns); 1:2500 (1876 and later edns, indexed in OS Area Bk); and 1:25000, sheets 45 and 170 (2005 and 2006 edns). Copies of the first edition 1:10560 in Bodl. C17:49a (Manning collection) include details of changes under the Divided Parishes Acts and a few MS annotations.
The earliest known estate maps were made in 1805 and 1812 for Trinity College, Oxford, and are in Oxfordshire History Centre, Hey. XII/1–2. They cover the college's post-inclosure rectory estate in Broadwell and Filkins, and include field names and acreages. Other maps include three of the Bradwell Grove estate made for William Hervey in 1814 (Hey. XII/3–5), a contemporary map of Hervey's Filkins Down and Oxleaze farms in Filkins and Broughton Poggs (Hey. XII/6), and one of Holwell Manor farm following its acquisition by Hervey in 1839 (Hey. XII/7). Maps of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners' estate in Langford in 1844 are in Lincolnshire Record Office (2CC/58/1256) and the Church of England Record Centre (ECE/11/1/706). Maps of William Vizard's estate in Langford around the same time are in Lincs. RO (CC 120/1367) and CERC (ECE/6/1/60).
Oxfordshire History Centre holds inclosure maps of Langford (1808) and Grafton (1846), and tithe maps of Broughton Poggs (1839), Little Faringdon (1841), Grafton (1840), Holwell (1840), and Radcot (1840). The inclosure map of Kelmscott (1798) is in private hands, but a full-size photograph is in the Bodleian Library, (E) C17:49 (294). Later maps in OHC include those accompanying valuations under the Finance Act of 1910 (reference DV). Sale catalogues in OHC and the Bodleian also include several useful printed maps with schedules (e.g. Sale Catalogue, Bradwell Grove Estate (1871), which covers parts of Broadwell, Filkins, Holwell, and Broughton Poggs). No complete maps of Broadwell or Filkins are known before the earliest OS maps.
The most important printed primary sources, including calendars of major classes in The National Archives and publications of the Oxfordshire Record Society, are noted in the List of Abbreviations. Those especially relevant to this area include Bampton Hund.; Beaulieu Cart. (especially Langford and Little Farigdon); Cirencester Cart. (especially Broadwell parish); Eynsham Cart. (especially Broughton Poggs); James, Recollections (especially Holwell); Lees (ed.), Templar Recs. (especially Broadwell); Reg. Antiquiss. (especially Langford); and Swinford, Jubilee Boy (especially Filkins). Other printed sources, besides Oxfordshire trade directories and miscellaneous sale catalogues in OHC, include:
Anon., The Achievement of an Ideal [Kelmscott dairy farm publicity brochure c. 1914]: copy in Bodl. GA Oxon. 8° 977
Cheatle, T. H., Report on the Sanitary Condition of the Burford District of the Witney Union (Bampton, 1872)
Doughty, O., and Wahl, J. R. (eds), Letters of Dante Gabriel Rossetti, III, 1871–1876 (Oxford, 1967) (for Kelmscott)
Hockey, S. F. (ed.), The Account-Book of Beaulieu Abbey (Camden 4th ser. 16, 1975)
Kelvin, N. (ed.), Collected Letters of William Morris (4 vols, Princeton, 1984–96)
Larking, L. B. (ed.), Knights Hospitallers in England (Camden [1st ser.] 65, 1857)
Leadam, I. S. (ed.), Domesday of Inclosures (1897)
Oxford Journal (formerly Jackson's Oxford Journal) (1753–1909)
Plot, R., Natural History of Oxfordshire (Oxford, 1705 edn)
Potter, K. R. (ed.), Gesta Stephani (Oxford, 1955) (for Radcot)
Sale Catalogue, Bradwell Grove Estate (1871): copy in OHC, BROAb 333.3
Sale Catalogue, Filkins Hall Estate (1842): copy in Bodl. GA Fol. 71 (47)
Sale Catalogue, Manor Farm, Kelmscott (1898): copy in Bodl. GA Oxon. b 91 (21)
Sale Catalogue, Manors of Broadwell and Kelmscott (1802): copy in Bodl. GA Oxon. a 273* (93)
Sale Catalogue, Radcot House Estate and Windmill Farm (1901): copy in Bodl. GA Oxon. b 91 (23)
Wise, D. (ed.), Diary of William Tayler, Footman, 1837 (Westminster City Archives, revised edn, 1998) (for Grafton)
Witney Express (1861–88)
Witney Gazette (1882–)
Books and Articles
Significant publications in the List of Abbreviations include Benson and Miles, Upper Thames; Blair, A-S Oxon.; Crossley et al., Kelmscott; Fisher, Broadwell; Hollands, Kelmscott; and Oxon. Atlas. Others (published in London except where stated) include:
Anon., Welcome to Filkins and Broughton Poggs (Swinford Museum, Filkins, 1999)
Akerman, J. Y., 'An Account of Researches in Anglo-Saxon Cemeteries at Filkins and at Broughton Poggs in Oxfordshire', Archaeologia 37 (1857), 140–6
Akerman, J. Y., 'Note on Some Further Discoveries of Anglo-Saxon Remains at Broughton Poggs', Proc. Soc. Antiq. 1st ser. 4 (1857), 73–4
Arkell, W. J., Oxford Stone (1947)
Ashby, A. W., Allotments and Small Holdings in Oxfordshire (Oxford, 1917)
Barrow, G. W. S., Feudal Britain (1956) (for Langford and Little Faringdon)
Baxter, S., and Blair, J., 'Land Tenure and Royal Patronage in the Early English Kingdom: a Model and a Case Study', Anglo-Norman Studies 28 (2006), 19–46
Blair, J., 'Radcot', Current Archaeol. 241 (2010), 26–31
Blair, J. (ed.), Waterways and Canal-Building in Medieval England (Oxford, 2007)
Bond, C. J., 'Medieval Oxfordshire Villages and their Topography: a Preliminary Discussion', in D. Hooke (ed.), Medieval Villages (Oxford, 1985), 101–23
Booth, P., Dodd, A., Robinson, M., and Smith, A., The Thames Through Time: The Archaeology of the Gravel Terraces of the Upper and Middle Thames, AD 1–1000 (Oxford, 2007)
Catchpole, A., Clark, D., and Peberdy, R., Burford: Buildings and People in a Cotswold Town (Chichester, 2008)
Coleman, L., and Hancocks, A., 'Iron Age and Romano-British Remains at Filkins and Carterton', Oxoniensia 69 (2004), 355–83
Dufty, A. R., 'William Morris and the Kelmscott Estate', Antiquaries' Jounal 43 (1963), 97–115
Eade, B., Along the Thames (Stroud, 1997)
Eddershaw, D., The Civil War in Oxfordshire (Stroud, 1995)
Foreman, W., Oxfordshire Mills (Chichester, 1983)
Foster, E. P., The Villages of Filkins and Broughton Poggs (Swinford Museum, Filkins, 1991)
Harding, D. W., The Iron Age in the Upper Thames Basin (Oxford, 1972)
Harper, C. G., Thames Valley Villages (2 vols, 1910)
Hassall, W. O., 'Papists in Early 18th-Century Oxfordshire', Oxoniensia 13 (1948), 76–82
Henig, M., and Booth, P., Roman Oxfordshire (Stroud, 2000)
Howard, F. E., 'Screens and Rood-Lofts in the Parish Churches of Oxfordshire', Archaeol. Jnl 67 (1910), 151–201
Hussey, C., 'Filkins, Gloucestershire [sic]: a Modernised Village', Country Life, 28 Apr. 1944, 728–31
James, M., 'Education in Langford and Little Faringdon 1858–1918', Berks. Family Historian, vol. 23, no. 4 (2000), 217–25
James, M., 'Two Nineteenth-century Teachers at Langford', Oxon. Local Hist., vol. 7, no. 1 (2002), 19–33
Jenkins, S. C., The Fairford Branch: the Witney and East Gloucestershire Railway (Oxford, 2nd edn, 1985)
Jenkins, S. C., and Davis, P. W., 'West Oxfordshire at War', Record of Witney, vol. 1, no. 5 (1978), 8–12
McClatchey, D., Oxfordshire Clergy 1777–1869 (Oxford, 1960)
Maggs, C., Branch Lines of Oxfordshire (Stroud, 1995)
Marples, B. J., 'The Medieval Crosses of Oxfordshire', Oxoniensia 38 (1973), 299–311
Paintin, H., Three Village Churches: Broughton-Pogis, Kelmscott, and Little-Faringdon (Oxford, 1913)
Pocock, E. A., Radcot and its Bridge (Clanfield, priv. printed 1966)
St John Brooks, E., 'The Trinders of Holwell, Oxon.: A Link with Peter Heylyn and Sir Thomas More', N&Q, 14th ser. 152 (1927), 129–31
Salter, H. E., 'Recusants in Oxfordshire 1603–33', OAS Rep. (1924), 7–58
Salter, H. E., 'Some Oxfordshire Surveys of 1387', OAS Rep. (1910), 28–34 (for Broughton Poggs)
Stapleton, B., History of the Post-Reformation Catholic Missions in Oxfordshire (1906)
Stell, C., Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels in Central England (1986)
Summers, W.H., History of the Berkshire, South Buckinghamshire and South Oxfordshire Congregational Churches (1905)
Thacker, F. S., The Stripling Thames (1909)
Thacker, F. S., The Thames Highway (Newton Abbot, 1968 edn, in 2 vols)
Tiller, K., '"The Desert Begins to Blossom": Oxfordshire and Primitive Methodism, 1824–1860', Oxoniensia 71 (2006), 85–109
Toynbee, M. R., 'Radcot Bridge and Newbridge', Oxoniensia 14 (1949), 46–52
Williams, A., 'Excavations at Langford Downs, Oxon. (near Lechlade) in 1943', Oxoniensia 11/12 (1946–7), 44–64
Wise, D., Early Methodism in and around Burford (Tolsey Musuem, Burford, 1986)
Worley, T., Witney District in Old Photographs (Stroud, 1992)
THESES AND UNPUBLISHED MATERIALS
Banting, T., 'Reminiscences of Filkins [c. 1846–80]' (typescript in OHC, P 920 BANT); supplemented by MS historical notes in Bodl. MS Top. Oxon. e 220
Clark, D., 'Radcot House' (OBR Report 92, 2010)
Clark, D., 'Broughton Hall, Broughton Poggs' (OBR Report 150, 2011)
Clark, D., 'Little Faringdon House' (OBR Report 153, 2011)
Clark, D., 'Langford Grange' (OBR Report 154, 2011)
Clark, D., 'Manor Farm, Broughton Poggs' (OBR Report 155, 2011)
Clark, D., 'The Rectory, Broughton Poggs' (OBR Report 157, 2011)
Cripps, J., 'A Village Carrier' (typescript c. 1980, in Swinford Museum, Filkins)
Eavis, A., 'Kelmscott Manor' (Oxford University Department for Continuing Education dissertation, 1995)
Foster, E. P., 'Some Historical Notes on Filkins and Broughton Poggs' (typescript 1981, in OHC, FILK 944)
Haskins, P., 'Kindlewere: A Medieval Mill and Fishery on the Thames' (Oxford University Department for Continuing Education dissertation, 1997)
Steane, J., and Ayres, J., 'Radcot Bridge Farm' (unpubl. architectural survey, 2008)
Tadd, W., 'Cotswold Stone's Fading Glory' (undated cutting from Daily Telegraph c. 1964, in OHC, ORCC file 69)
Thompson, S., et al., 'Radcot, Oxfordshire' (Wessex Archaeology Report 68733, 2009)