A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 18. Originally published by Boydell & Brewer for the Institute of Historical Research, Woodbridge, Suffolk, 2016.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by Victoria County History Oxfordshire. All rights reserved.


In this section


The local landscape

Figure 1:

Looking south from Swyncombe Downs across the undulating Chiltern foothills.

Figure 2:

Looking west towards the clay vale and the Thames, down the wooded Chiltern scarp near Nuffield.

Early estate maps

Figure 3:

Newington in 1595 (north to left), showing rectory house, church, and manor house ('Mr Oglethorps'), and houses at Newington green.

Figure 4:

Warborough green in 1606, showing church and vicarage and (west of the road) the parsonage barns.

Early estate maps

Figure 5:

Huntercombe (in Nuffield) in 1665, showing the manor house north of the Henley road (labelled the 'way from Gloucester').

Figure 6:

Great Haseley church and manor house in 1729, showing adjoining open fields and the surviving medieval barn north of the church.

Early estate maps

Figure 7:

The shared fields of Benson, Ewelme, and Berrick Salome in 1788; blue-coloured strips owed tithe to Benson, yellow to Ewelme, and pink to Berrick.

Vernacular buildings

Figure 8:

No. 59 High Street, Chalgrove (predominantly 17th-century): timber framing and thatch.

Figure 9:

Fords Farm in Ewelme (17th- to 18th-century): coursed clunch rubble, brick dressings, and tiled roof.

Former coaching inns

Figure 10:

The former Bull Inn at Nettlebed, with its 18th-century pedimented front.

Figure 11:

The former Red Lion at Benson, remodelled piecemeal c.1680–1752.

Ewelme Almshouses (God's House), built c.1437–50s

Figure 12:

The grammar (now primary) school from the south-east.

Figure 13:

The almshouse cloister entrance from the south-west, with its decorative brickwork.

Church interiors

Figure 14:

Chalgrove: early 14th-century wall paintings in the chancel, including scenes from the life of the Virgin.

Figure 15:

St John's chapel in Ewelme church, showing Alice de la Pole's tomb and Ninian Comper's altarpiece of 1904.