A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1907.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
44. THE HOSPITAL OF HOLY CROSS, WOODSTOCK
The House of Lepers of the Holy Cross outside Woodstock is only known from the grants of royal protection made to its brethren in 1231 and 1232. (fn. 1)
45. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. MARY, WOODSTOCK
In 1339 the king granted protection to the lands and possessions of the Hospital of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Mary Magdalen of Woodstock, and licensed the master and brethren to seek alms. (fn. 2)
46. THE HOSPITAL OF WOODSTOCK
A royal grant of wood for fuel made to 'the leprous women' of Woodstock in 1235 is the only evidence of a house in this place for female lepers. (fn. 3) It may have been converted to the use of men, in which case it was possibly the origin of St. Mary's Hospital.