A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 11, Telford. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1985.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
One pound a year from James Rushbury's legacy (1718) to the church was to be devoted to the poor of Wombridge. In the later 18th century 16s. was paid out each year, but by c. 1803 payments had ceased. (fn. 1)
W. H. Rushton's charity, established in 1890, produced an income of £6 from stock in 1975, used to buy clothing for widows.
Priorslee benefited in 1975 from Shifnal united charities and from two charities confined to Priorslee ecclesiastical parish. Samuel Horton, the Priorslee ironmaster (d. 1865), left £300 stock for widows. In 1975 the charity's income was £14.
The charity of William Slaney Lewis, established in 1888, yielded £3 in 1975, spent on blankets and clothing for widows. (fn. 2)