A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 11, Telford. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1985.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1676 one papist lived in the parish and in 1767 David Clifford, a farmer, was listed as a papist. (fn. 1) In 1772 one or two women who were frequent churchgoers also attended local Methodist meetings, but there was no dissenters' meeting house. (fn. 2) 'Very few' parishioners were dissenters in 1799. (fn. 3) Meeting houses were licensed at Long Lane in 1818 (fn. 4) and at Wrockwardine in 1823. (fn. 5) Wesleyans met at Allscott between 1828 and 1836. (fn. 6) Wrockwardine and Admaston both joined the Wrockwardine Wood Primitive Methodist circuit in 1840. (fn. 7) No nonconformists were meeting in 1851.
United Free Methodists had a chapel at Overley Hill from 1862. It was de-registered in 1935 and demolished after 1945. (fn. 8)
In 1873 a building in Admaston was used by Wesleyan Methodists. It was apparently replaced by a 150-seat chapel built in 1874; by 1940 it had a schoolroom and two other rooms attached to it. (fn. 9) In 1982 average attendance was 60 in the morning and 30 in the afternoon. (fn. 10) The Methodists also maintained connexions with St. Christopher's Hall. (fn. 11)