A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 11, Telford. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1985.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
By will dated 1725 Richard Cookes, owner of Stirchley Grange, gave 17s. rent. (fn. 1) Known in the late 18th and early 19th century as Darrall's Money, from the name of the person then paying the rent, the charity was distributed to widows. (fn. 2) In the mid and late 19th century the annual distribution of Cookes's charity was supplemented by Clowes's and Smith's charities. (fn. 3) In 1975 the annual income of Cookes's charity was £1. (fn. 4)
Thomas Clowes, by will proved 1749, left 20s. yearly. (fn. 5) In the early 19th century it was paid by the Stirchley Hall tenant without reference to parish officials. (fn. 6) It was distributed with Cookes's charity 1830-76 but not paid at all thereafter, the Stirchley Hall tenant disputing the obligation. (fn. 7)
Between 1878 and 1887 Cookes's charity was supplemented by a payment of £1 7s., the yearly interest on £27 devised by one Smith. (fn. 8)