A History of the County of Suffolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
55 AND 56. THE LEPER HOSPITALS OF ST. MARY MAGDALEN AND ST. JAMES, IPSWICH
The first known mention of the leper hospital of St. Mary Magdalen, Ipswich, occurs in 1199, when King John granted it a fair on the feast of St. James the Apostle. (fn. 1) This grant was confirmed and extended by Henry VI in 1430, when the fair was authorized to be held on the land of this house, on both the day and the morrow of St. James's festival. (fn. 2)
There was also a leper hospital of St. James in this town, which was united to the hospital of St. Mary Magdalen in the fourteenth century, and held by a common master. The joint mastership of the two hospitals was in the gift of the bishop, and to it was usually annexed the church of St. Helen with the chapel of St. Edmund. There are many collations to this joint benefice in the diocesan registers.
In October, 1324, the custody of the administration of the goods of the leper hospital of St. James, then vacant, was committed to the custody of the (rural) dean of Carlford, according to ancient custom, so that he might answer for the time being for the receipts and expenditure of the house. (fn. 3)
Masters of the Leper Hospitals of St. Mary Magdalen and St. James, Ipswich
Alexander, (fn. 4) 1336
William Olde de Debenham, (fn. 5) 1351
John May de Multon, (fn. 6) 1361
Thomas de Claxtone, (fn. 7) 1367
John de Blakenham, (fn. 8) 1369
William de Cotsmore, (fn. 11) 1399
William Tanner, (fn. 12) 1409
Robert Markys, (fn. 13) resigned 1464
Robert Lang, (fn. 14) 1464
Thomas Bullok, (fn. 15) 1468
Thomas Eyton, (fn. 16) 1472