A History of the County of Suffolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
65. THE COLLEGE OF DENSTON
Edward IV, on 1 March, 1475, licensed Sir John Howard, knight, and John Broughton the younger, esquire, to found a perpetual chantry or college of a warden and society of chaplains to celebrate divine service daily at Denston, and to do other works of piety according to their ordinance, to be called 'Denston Chauntry.' They were also licensed to grant in mortmain to the warden and society possessions not held in chief, to the value of £40 yearly. (fn. 1)
It was endowed with the manor of Beaumonde in Denston parish, and with lands in Lilsey, Monks Eleigh, Groton, and Badley Parva. (fn. 2)
The Valor of 1535 mentions Peter Calcott as then master of the college of Denston, of the foundation of John Denston. The rectory of Denston pertained to the college, but was then in the hands of the king, and its value is not given. The temporalities of the college were valued at £25 9s. 2½d., but various outgoings, including 40s. given to the poor on the anniversary of John Denston brought down the clear annual value to £22 8s. 7d. (fn. 3)
In 1548 Denston is entered as a small college consisting of a warden or master and two priests or co-brethren. Richard Baldry, the master, had a stipend of £10 and the two priests, Richard Marshall and Robert Fisher, £5 each. They served the parish church and had a mansion house adjoining. The gross income was there set down as £27 9s. 2½d. and the net income as £22 17s. 1½d. (fn. 4) After suppression the college property was assigned in 1548 to Thomas and John Smith. (fn. 5)