A History of the County of Suffolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
76. THE HOSPITAL OF SUDBURY
In the time of King John, Amicia, countess of Clare, founded a hospital at Sudbury to the honour of Jesus Christ and the Blessed Virgin His mother. (fn. 1) Tanner supposes it to be identical with the house or chapel of St. Sepulchre, which the same countess gave to the monks of Stoke Clare, and which was granted by Edward VI to John Speke; but of this there is some doubt. (fn. 2) Mention is made in 1277 of the breaking open by thieves of certain chests that had been deposited in the hospital of Sudbury, county Suffolk, without mentioning dedication, as though there was only one of any importance. (fn. 3)
Richard II in 1383 granted the custody of the free chapel of St. Sepulchre, Sudbury, to Peter Harmodesworth; it was in the king's gift by reason of his custody of the land and heir of Edmund, late earl of March, tenant in chief. (fn. 4)