A History of the County of Suffolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
58 AND 59. THE HOSPITALS OF ORFORD
There seem to have been two hospitals at Orford in honour respectively of St. Leonard and St. John Baptist, the former in all probability for lepers. We have only met with a single record reference to each.
The master and brethren of the hospital of St. Leonard, Orford, obtained the royal licence to seek alms in October, 1320. (fn. 1)
In 1390 Richard II granted to his servant William Coterell, for life, the wardenship of the hospital of St. John, Orford, in conjunction with the hospital of Holy Trinity and St. James, Dunwich. (fn. 2)
A chapel of St. John Baptist was standing in 1500 on the north side of the river. (fn. 3)