A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF KINGSTON
CONTAINING THE PARISHES OF
|KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES||MALDEN||RICHMOND (fn. 1)|
In the Domesday Survey Kingston, Petersham, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton, and Malden are entered under Kingston Hundred, (fn. 2) Richmond and Kew then forming part of Kingston. Southwark (fn. 3) and West Horsley (fn. 4) are also entered under it, evidently by an error. Chessington, which was a member of Malden, occurs under the hundreds of Kingston and Wallington (fn. 5) and was reckoned in Kingston Hundred in 1428 (fn. 6); it was in Copthorne Hundred in 1610 (fn. 7) and afterwards. In a Subsidy Roll of 1333 the vills assessed in this hundred were Sheen, Ham and Petersham, Hartington and Combe, Malden and Talworth, Thames Ditton and Long Ditton. (fn. 8) Part of Thames Ditton is still in Kingston Hundred.
In 1199 the hundred of Kingston was said to pertain, and always to have pertained, to the lordship and vill of Kingston. (fn. 9) Probably a court of ancient demesne, (fn. 10) originally held for the manor of Kingston, had gradually extended its jurisdiction over the neighbouring vills. (fn. 11) The hundred court was held before the bailiffs on Saturday once every three weeks. In 1628 the manors of Richmond, Petersham, and Ham were removed from the jurisdiction of this court, and separate courts leet constituted for them. According to the Municipal Corporations Report of 1835 the hundred court had then fallen into disuse. A recovery had been suffered in it as late as 1609, and a fine levied in 1611.