A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Tepestede (xi cent.); Chepstede, Testa de Nevill; Chypstede (xiii cent.); Chipstede (xv cent.); Chepstid (xvi cent.).
Chipstead is a small parish, 4 miles north from Redhill, and 6 miles south-west of Croydon. It is bounded by Banstead and Woodmansterne on the north, by Coulsdon and Merstham on the east, by Gatton on the south, and by Kingswood in Ewell on the west. It measures 3 miles north-east and south-west by 2 miles north-west to south-east, and contains 2,419 acres. It lies upon a high ridge of down between 500 and 600 ft. above the sea, on the chalk which is crowned by clay with flints and a large patch of sand, between the curiously dry depression in the chalk on the east through which the Brighton and South Eastern line and the road from Croydon to Merstham run, and the valley called Chipstead Bottom on the west and north-west. The former depression, called Smitham Bottom lower down, is purely in the chalk, but in the bottom of the latter is a continuous strip of gravel and sand, showing that though now dry a stream has run down it at no very remote time. Even in the historical period, and during recent years, the water level in the chalk has sunk appreciably.
The parish is agricultural. There can hardly be said to be a village. There is a farm near the church, which occupies a commanding position on the hill, and there are scattered houses. Mugswell, which formerly was called Muggs Hole, and before that Monks Hole, is a hamlet 2 miles south-west of the church. There is a considerable amount of wood upon the sand and clay which caps the chalk. Upper Gatton Park extends into the parish, and a road runs by it from Reigate along the high ground of Chipstead towards Woodmansterne. Gatewick Heath, now inclosed, upon it, and Gatton, and Gatwick due south on the same line in Charlwood and Horley, may indicate an old track-way.
A few flakes and a celt of micaceous grit have been found about Chipstead. (fn. 1) The Chipstead Valley and Tattenham Corner branch of the South Eastern and Chatham Railway runs through the parish, and there is a station, opened in 1899, called Banstead and Chipstead, but situated in Woodmansterne parish Kingswood Station is in Chipstead.
The land is now nearly all inclosed, except Starrock and Parsonage Green, although no Inclosure Act or Award is extant. Above Chipstead Bottom are artificial balks along the face of the chalk slope, which may be traces of ancient cultivation.
There are several gentlemen's houses. Shabden, standing in a large park, is the seat of Mr. William Milburn, J.P.; Pirbright of Mr. W. A. McArthur, M.P.; Court Lodge Farm of Mr. Frank Brown. Manning and Bray (fn. 2) consider this to be the site of the old manor house of Beauchamps. The Old Rectory, at Mugswell, 2 miles from the church, is the seat of Mr. E. Campbell Cooper. It is an old house, part of it dating from the early 17th century. The Rev. Peter Aubertin, rector in 1808, was the first resident rector for some time, and found the old rectory converted into two labourers' cottages. He recovered it for the proper use and spent money on repairs. (fn. 3) But in 1902, owing to its distance of 2 miles from the church, leave was obtained to sell it, and the present rectory was built.
The Aubertin Memorial Church Hall was built in 1906, chiefly at the expense of Miss Aubertin, in memory of her father, the late rector.
Among the monuments in the church is one to the memory of Sir Edward Banks, who raised himself from the position of a labourer to become the builder of Waterloo, Southwark, and London Bridges. He is said to have first observed the pleasant situation of Chipstead when working as a labourer on the Merstham railway about 1803. He died in Sussex in 1835, and was buried at Chipstead by his own express direction.
Alice Hooker, eldest daughter of the author of the Ecclesiastical Polity, was buried here in 1649.
In 1746 Mrs. Mary Stephens left a farm for teaching six poor children to read, providing them each with a Bible, and putting out such apprentices from among them as the trustees should think fit. This is the origin of the endowed school of Chipstead, now carried on according to a scheme under the Endowed Schools Acts, of 7 July 1874, in which year the present school was built.
The manor of CHIPSTEAD, according to Domesday, was held of King Edward by one Ulnode. At the time of the Survey it was in the possession of Richard de Tonbridge, (fn. 4) and as part of the honour of Clare was held in chief by his descendants until the beginning of the 16th century. In 1290 Gilbert de Clare, having married as his second wife Joan of Acre, daughter of Edward I, surrendered all his estates in England and Ireland to the king, who in several grants restored them to him or his wife and heirs. (fn. 5) Amongst the places so surrendered mention is made of 'Chepestede in Kent,' but it seems certain that this is an error for the Surrey Chipstead, the mistake being made in the first grant and never corrected. This would appear to be the case from the fact that there is no further evidence at any other date of the Clares having had possession of the Kent Chipstead, which was held of the Archbishops of Canterbury. It is not mentioned in 1217 amongst the Kentish possessions for which Richard de Clare did homage at Otford, (fn. 6) neither is it alluded to in any other documents than those referring to the lands of Gilbert de Clare, who at the time of his death was seised of the manor of Chipstead in Surrey, (fn. 7) and whose son, killed at Bannockburn, died seised of the same. (fn. 8) This Gilbert, the last Clare Earl of Gloucester and Hertford, left three sisters and co-heirs, and his peerage dignities passed to the Crown. In 1337, however, Hugh de Audley, the second husband of Margaret de Clare, was created Earl of Gloucester. (fn. 9) Chipstead appears to have fallen to the share of Margaret, for her grandson Hugh, Earl of Stafford, the son of her only daughter Margaret, died seised of the manor in 1386, when his son Thomas succeeded to his title and estates. (fn. 10) This Thomas married Anne the daughter of Thomas of Woodstock, Duke of Gloucester, and she, after his death, became the wife of his brother and heir, Edmund Stafford. Their son Humphrey, who was created Duke of Buckingham, (fn. 11) in 1458 conveyed the manor to William Catesby for the purpose of settling it upon his youngest son John, Earl of Wiltshire. (fn. 12) After his father's death John held the manor jointly with his wife Constance, who survived him for two years. (fn. 13) Edward Stafford, the second Earl of Wiltshire, who at his mother's death in 1474–5 was only five years old, died without children in 1499, and Henry the younger son of his cousin the second Duke of Buckingham then became Earl of Wiltshire. (fn. 14) Chipstead, however, passed into the possession of Henry's eldest brother Edward, (fn. 15) who had at that time succeeded to the dukedom. In 1521, when the duke was attainted and beheaded, Chipstead with the rest of his lands was forfeited to the king, (fn. 16) who in 1528 granted it to Sir John Bourchier, Lord Berners. (fn. 17) Lord Berners, the translator of Froissart's Chronicles, has left several records of a varied experience; in 1518, while envoy in Spain, he wrote home accounts of the court sports and entertainments there, and in the following year he sent a description to the Privy Council of the Field of the Cloth of Gold. In 1520 he became deputy of Calais, where he did much in superintending the fortifications. At the time of the grant of Chipstead he was, and had been for many years, heavily indebted to the Crown, and it seems possible that the king took the manor back into his own hands when Lord Berners became seriously ill in 1532–3. (fn. 18) It is perhaps more likely that Lord Berners never actually entered into possession, as besides the original grant, which may not have been immediately acted on, there is a bill to the same purport dated 1532, but unsigned. (fn. 19) In any case, there is no mention of Chipstead in his will, drawn up a few days before his death, although the reversion of two or three other manors was bequeathed to the king in payment of the debt. (fn. 20) From 1542 to 1547 John Ledes and Ann his wife held courts at Chipstead. (fn. 21) In 1558 Thomas Matson and Ann his wife conveyed the manor of Chipstead to Thomas Copley in mortgage; (fn. 22) another document of the same year a few weeks earlier conveying it to Thomas Percy and Reginald Heygate is probably part of the same transaction. (fn. 23) In the following year Matson conveyed it to William Frank, (fn. 24) and he, while retaining the ownership of Chipstead Court, (fn. 25) sold the manor in 1562–3 to John Turner of the Inner Temple in trust for Sir Richard Sackville, (fn. 26) whose wife Winifred surviving him held it until her death in 1586. (fn. 27) In 1571 her son Thomas Sackville, Lord Buckhurst, sold the reversion to John Skinner of Reigate, (fn. 28) who, however, never owned the manor in fee, as he died in 1584, two years before the death of Winifred, then Marchioness of Winchester. (fn. 29) The manor was settled after his death upon his wife Alice and her sons, should she have any, with remainder to her brother William Pointz, and after him to his son John. (fn. 30) In 1613 John Pointz sold Chipstead to John Huntley, (fn. 31) who with his wife Margaret conveyed it two years later to Sir Henry Burton. (fn. 32) According to Manning and Bray it then became part of the estates of the Owfields of Upper Gatton, Samuel Owfield holding his court there in 1635. (fn. 33) He died in 1645. His son William, who died in 1664, conveyed it in turn to his father-in-law, Maurice Thompson, whose son Sir John held his first court there in 1681. (fn. 34) By him it was sold to Paul Docminique, (fn. 35) and henceforth it apparently followed the same descent as Merstham, becoming the property of Rachel Tattersall and her husband John, (fn. 36) and later that of William Jolliffe, with whose descendants it has remained up to the present day, Lord Hylton being now lord of the manor (vide Merstham).
For a short period the manor of Chipstead seems to have been held in subfee from the Clares by the Dammartins. In 1230 it was quitclaimed to Margery widow of Odo de Dammartin as part of her dower by Roger de Clare and his wife Alice, daughter of Odo, formerly wife of John de Wauton. (fn. 37) In 1248 Alice Dammartin conveyed the manor of Chipstead to Thomas de Warblington, (fn. 38) who probably afterwards surrendered it, for in an undated document Richard de Clare, Earl of Gloucester and Hertford, granted the manor of Chipstead to Nicholas de Leukenore to hold as two knights' fees. (fn. 39) This grant must have been made by Richard, who became Earl of Gloucester in 1230 and who died in 1262, as he was the only Richard de Clare who bore the title. (fn. 40)
CHIPSTEAD COURT, also called a manor, was retained by William Frank when he sold the manor in 1563 (vide supra), and held by him at his death in 1595, when his son Robert succeeded him. (fn. 41) In 1639 Ferdinand Heybourn died seised of this estate, leaving as heirs his elder brother John's three daughters—Elizabeth wife of George Morton, Hester wife of Henry Burley, and Mary wife of Francis Mascall. (fn. 42) It must have been reunited to the manor, for as Court Lodge Farm it was bought from the Tattersall trustees by William Jolliffe in 1788.
—In the 14th century the family of Beauchamp of Hatch in Somerset held property in Chipstead, which also afterwards came to be called the manor of Chipstead. A mention of this estate occurs in 1301, when John de Beauchamp complained that, during his absence in Scotland, Thomas de Wotton and several others had cut his corn at Chipstead and driven away 200 sheep. (fn. 43) The property was apparently at this time in the tenure of his mother Cecilia, daughter of William de Vivonia, who, surviving her husband nearly thirty years, did not die until 1321. (fn. 44) For some years before her death she was involved in a dispute with William Inge concerning her manor of Woodmansterne, which seems to have also concerned her estate in Chipstead, for Inge obtained a grant of free warren in his demesne lands in Woodemansterne, Chipstead, and Ewell in 1314. Cecilia, however, must have won her cause here as at Woodmansterne, for the ownership eventually remained with the Beauchamps. (fn. 45)
Her son and grandson, both named John, succeeded her in turn, the latter dying childless in 1361. The property was then divided between his sister Cecilia wife of Sir Richard Turberville, and his nephew John Meriet, the only son of Eleanor Beauchamp. (fn. 46) Cecilia granted her half of the estate at farm to Peter atte Wode, his wife Laurencia and their son Peter, in survivorship, and Peter atte Wode accounted for the manor of Chipstead in 1364. (fn. 47) Some years later, in 1381–2, Peter and his son both being dead, Cecilia Turberville quitclaimed the manor to Hugh Queche of London, mercer, Laurencia's son by her second husband. (fn. 48) In 1387–8 there is a conveyance of Chipstead from Hugh Queche to John Gardyner, (fn. 49) probably for the purpose of settlement upon Hugh's daughter Joan Norton, who at his death in 1402 inherited his estates. (fn. 50) Joan's daughter carried the property to the Colcok (or Caldecote) family by marriage, (fn. 51) and Richard Colcok settled Chipstead upon his eldest daughter Joan and her husband John Skinner, of Reigate, who died about 1472. (fn. 52) The property then descended to their son Richard Skinner, who settled it upon his son William with remainder first to William's brother Michael, and after him to their eldest sister Anne, sometimes called Agnes. William and Michael both died childless, and about eighteen months later Anne with her husband Bartholomew Chaloner brought a suit against her sister Elizabeth the wife of John Scott, who, they complained, had taken possession of the premises, disregarding the elder sister's right. (fn. 53) The dispute was settled by dividing the estate, and in 1505–6 the moiety of Chipstead Manor was settled upon Anne and her second husband Roger Leigh and their children, with remainder to her two sons by her first husband, Henry and William Chaloner, (fn. 54) while in 1513–14 John Scott the elder settled half of the manor of Chipstead upon his son and heir, also John Scott. (fn. 55) The latter John Scott died in 1558, (fn. 56) and was succeeded in turn by Richard Scott and his son Thomas, both of whom died within a couple of years, and Edward Scott, Richard's brother, inherited the property, (fn. 57) which he held apparently in 1571, when he presented to the living. It is not possible to trace it further. A house called Noke, near the church, may have been the same.
A fair was held in Chipstead in the reign of Edward I, and is again referred to in 1584. (fn. 58) A court leet and view of frankpledge are said to have belonged to the manor in the 16th century, (fn. 59) but according to Brayley no such court was held there, and consequently the constable for Chipstead, who is now appointed at the quarter sessions, used to be chosen at the sheriff's tourn for the hundred of Tandridge. (fn. 60)
In 675 Frithwald, subregulus of Surrey, gave 5 hides of land in Chipstead to the abbey of Chertsey, (fn. 61) and this seems to have been the property which was afterwards known as the manor of PURBRIGHT (Purybrith, Pirifrith, xiii cent.). In 933 a similar grant from Athelstan to the abbey speaks of the vill of Chipstead. (fn. 62) In 967 Edgar confirmed a gift of 10 hides, (fn. 63) while under Edward the extent is again estimated at 5 hides. (fn. 64) These variations appear to be different estimates of the value of the same land, as in Domesday the Abbot of Chertsey is said to hold Chipstead, which, though assessed at 5 hides under King Edward, was rated at 1 hide only at the time of the Survey. (fn. 65) It was then held at farm of the abbot.
The abbey remained overlord of the manor (fn. 66) and received from the rector of Chipstead all the tithes of the lands of Purbright and Lovelane, (fn. 67) until its dissolution in 1538, when the abbot and twelve monks were transferred by the king to his new foundation at Bisham, which was endowed with the abbey lands. In the following year the new monastery also surrendered to the king. (fn. 68)
The immediate tenants of the manor before 1066 were Turgis and Ulf, the land of the former belonging to the abbey, while Ulf could 'seek what lord he pleased.' The two estates seem to have been united later, and were held from the abbot by William de Wateville, who, however, relinquished the land before 1086. It was then farmed out at 40s. (fn. 69) In the 13th century Peter de Pirifrith, from whom it must have taken the name of Purbright, held one quarter of a knight's fee in Chipstead of the abbot. (fn. 70) Peter granted one carucate of land in Chipstead to Thomas de Leukenore in 1247, and in 1252–3 he gave 10 librates of land there to Joan the daughter of Henry Lovel for the yearly rent of a pair of white gloves. (fn. 71) In 1291 the manor of Purbright was amongst the possessions of Hamo de Gatton, his son and heir, also Hamo, being at that time twenty-six years of age. (fn. 72)
The next reference to Purbright is given by Manning and Bray, who quote the Court Rolls of Coulsdon. According to these one Gilbert Malevyle was distrained in 1360 for fealty for lands in Chipstead called Puribrit, and again in 1389 Sir Thomas Brewes was distrained for the same cause. (fn. 73) These lands were probably the manor, for Coulsdon was held at that time by Chertsey Abbey, and a tithing-man for Chipstead was chosen at the Coulsdon court leet. (fn. 74) Nothing further appears touching the descent of this manor until 1505, when one-half of it was in the possession of Anne and Roger Leigh, Purbright, presumably, having been divided at the same time as Chipstead between them and the Scotts (fn. 75) (q.v.). In 1590 it was in the hands of Thomas Best, who, in his will dated 11 March of that year, left it to his wife Ann for eighteen years, while she brought up his son and heir William. (fn. 76) In 1618 William Best died seised of the manor of Purbright, which was said to be held of the lords of the manors of Gatton, Coulsdon, and Merstham. (fn. 77) His son and heir William, who at his father's death was aged a little over four years, (fn. 78) conveyed the manor to the use of Sir Samuel Owfield and his wife Katherine, with remainder to their sons, and in Katherine's will dated 1662, and proved 1664, she confirmed the settlement of the property on her second son Samuel. (fn. 79) About three years later the Owfields conveyed Purbright to Thomas Manning and Samuel Salter, (fn. 80) possibly trustees for Sir John Thompson, afterwards Lord Haversham, who sold it in 1704 to Mr. Docminique. (fn. 81) With Chipstead it became the property of William Jolliffe, but was sold in lots by the present Lord Hylton.
The church of ST. MARGARET is a fine cruciform building, with a chancel 30 ft. by 16 ft. 10 in., crossing 16 ft. 10 in. square; north transept 17 ft. 10 in. by 14 ft. 4 in.; south transept 15 ft. 3 in. by 14 ft. 4 in.; nave 53 ft. 9 in. by 17 ft.; north aisle 52 ft. by 9 ft. 5 in.; south aisle 53 ft. 2 in. by 7 ft. 10 in., and a south porch, all the measurements being internal.
The west wall of the nave, from the evidence of a doorway formerly existing here, and shown by Manning and Bray (drawing dated 1794), appears to be in part of 12th-century date, and the north doorway of the nave, now reset in the north aisle, is work of c. 1180. The north aisle itself is a modern addition, as is the south porch, and the south transept has been for the most part rebuilt, but all the rest of the church belongs apparently to one design consisting of chancel, central tower with transepts, and nave with south aisle, begun early in the 13th century, and carried through without any obvious pause in the work. The north transept is not square with the tower, for some reason which is not now clear, but otherwise the setting out is very regular and there is no deviation from the axis of the old work. The outer walls of the south aisle have perhaps been rebuilt in the 15th century, and there has been a good deal of modern repair, the tower bearing the dates 1631, 1827, and 1903.
The stone chiefly used is the firestone of the district, which while very good for internal work stands the weather badly, and has had to be very largely renewed.
The east window of the chancel is of partly restored 15th-century work, of three cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head; at the angles of the inner sill are the moulded bases of a 13th-century shaft belonging to the original east window, probably a group of three lancets.
In the side walls of the chancel are tall and very narrow lancets, five on each side according to the original design, but one on the south-west has been destroyed for the insertion of a modern priest's door with a round window over it, the rear arch of which is that of the old lancet. The external jambs and heads are chamfered and rebated and have all been renewed, but the firestone weathers badly and is already crumbling to pieces. The inside splays are original and have triangular heads instead of two-centred or segmental rear arcades, a very unusual feature. Beneath the sills is a plain roll string-course, and the external hood-moulds run as horizontal strings between the windows.
Near the east end of the south wall is an aumbry with jambs, sill, and square head rebated for a shutter. To the west of this is a 13th-century piscina with a circular basin and a chamfered trefoil head. On either side of the western half of the chancel is a stone seat contemporary with the rest of the work, the ends carved with a single long 'palm leaf' of unusual character, fitted to the hollow curve of the back end. The southern seat now runs no farther west than the new south door.
The four crossing arches have jambs of two stop chamfered orders continuous with the two-centred arches, and an abacus splayed on both edges at the spring. There is a label of similar section on the east side of the chancel arch.
The crossing is covered with a stone vault having wide and shallow diagonal ribs with splayed edges and a beautiful carved boss at the crown.
The north transept has two lancet windows in its east wall which are similar to those of the chancel, and in the north wall are three lancets with modern external stonework dating from 1854, but the inner east and west jambs are original and have shafts with moulded bases and capitals. The two intermediate shafts are modern. The rear arches are rebated and have a large roll moulding in the angle, and the moulded label continues as a horizontal string. Above these windows is a modern circular quatrefoil, and in the apex of the gable a small loop, and there is a west lancet like those in the east wall, but it has had its rebate cut out to widen it. In the east wall of the transept near the south angle is a small square-headed piscina with a circular basin, and at the east end of the north wall are two lockers one above the other, square-headed like that in the chancel. In the west wall is a doorway formerly external, but now opening to the north aisle, with jambs of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous with a two-centred arch on the west face, while the inner is carried up to form a trefoiled head on a tympanum with a segmental soffit. The priest's door on the south side of the chancel is copied from this doorway. Above the arch is a circular window inclosing a quatrefoil rebated for a frame like the rest, the rear arch being triangular.
The south transept has two blocked lancets like those of the chancel, one in the east wall and the other in the west. The east wall has also a modern two-light tracery window of 14th-century design, and in the south wall is a triplet of lancets more or less copied from the corresponding ones in the north transept, with a quatrefoil circle in the gable above. All this work is modern, the transept having been destroyed, as it is said, by fire in the 17th century, and rebuilt in 1855. A half arch, now blocked, formerly opened from the transept to the south aisle, and the wall south of the arch is thickened, having in it a stair entered from a door high up on its west face, and looking into the aisle and leading to the space above the crossing. Part of the west wall of the transept projecting beyond the south wall of the aisle, and containing the rear arch of the blocked lancet, seems to be old, but Manning and Bray's view shows no projection at the angle of the aisle.
The south arcade of the nave is of four bays, with circular columns having moulded bases and capitals, and two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with a chamfered label on the nave side only. Above the arches, but now below the aisle roof, are three circular clearstory windows, contemporary with the arcade, inclosing quatrefoils and having an external rebate and semicircular rear arches.
The north arcade is a modern copy of that on the south, but has no clearstory windows above it. The west doorway of the nave is modern, of 16th-century style, replacing that shown by Manning and Bray, which had a round arch with a roll moulding, shafts in the jambs, and some ornament not specified on the arch. It seems to have been of fairly early 12th-century date, and over it was a window of three trefoiled lights, now replaced by one of three cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head.
The north wall of the north aisle contains three modern two-light windows of 15th-century design, and at the east end of the same wall is a doorway, also modern. Between the second and third of these windows is set the late 12th-century doorway already referred to, with a round arch of two roll-moulded orders springing from slender jambshafts with carved capitals, two having the form of heads, and two ornamented with foliage; the bases are lost. The arch has a label enriched with dog-tooth ornament and is a great deal repaired. In the old north wall of the nave there was a round-headed window towards the west, and three narrow lancets farther east.
The windows of the south aisle have modern tracery, two being of 15th-century and one of 14th-century design. The inside jambs, however, appear to be old in each case. Below the sill of the eastern of these windows is a small splayed recess in the wall with a square head and remains of colour on the jambs, and on the outer face of the wall below the second window are a few stones of what seems to be the east jamb of a destroyed doorway. The existing south doorway is of late 15th-century character, with moulded jambs and four-centred arch under a square head with a heavy moulded label. The modern porch has quatrefoiled side lights and a south entrance with moulded jambs and two-centred arch.
The tower rises one stage above the ridge of the nave roof, this stage being now mostly of brick, only a few of the old stone quoins remaining. One of the 13th-century lancets, however, still remains in the west face above the roof line, and the jambs of another in the same face and of one window in each of the other three sides of the tower may still be seen on the inside, though they are now blocked up. The top stage has a modern window in each face consisting of two trefoiled lights under a square head, and is furnished with a modern stone parapet. The date 1653 is shown on the west parapet of the tower in Manning and Bray's illustration.
The walls of the north aisle and west front are of flint with stone dressings, and the main body of the other walls is also faced with flint, but in the older work the mortar joints are larger. All the roofs are modern and are covered with tiles.
Across the east arch of the tower is set a good 15th-century screen, with three cinquefoiled lights on each side of the central opening, and a moulded cornice on which is fixed an 18th-century carved wooden achievement of the royal arms of England.
The pulpit and reading desk are of late 16th-century date and have moulded panels, and ornamental pilasters and rails and a dentil cornice.
The font is of 14th-century date and has a large octagonal bowl, each side having a shallow sunk panel filled with tracery patterns, all different. It stands on a circular stem with moulded base.
In the south windows of the south transept are some small pieces of late 13th-century glass with figures of St. Peter and St. Paul, and in the east window of the chancel some fragments of 15th-century glass, among modern imitations.
There are also some old quarries in the windows of the south aisle.
On the north wall of the chancel is a small tablet to 'Christopher Shawe Citizen of London embrodorer,' who died in 1618.
In the churchyard, near the porch, is a coffin slab with a double hollow-chamfered edge, and on the top are traces of a raised cross, now almost defaced. Outside the east end of the south aisle are two fragments of another large coffin slab on which was a raised flowered cross with a stepped base.
The tower contains a ring of five bells: the treble and second by John Hodson, 1658; the third by William Mears, 1785; and the fourth and tenor by Robert Eldridge, 1607 and 1595.
The plate comprises a cup of 1664, with a stand paten of 1714, and a silver mounted flagon.
There are six books of registers, the first containing baptisms from 1656 to 1804, the second marriages from 1663 to 1754, the third burials from 1656 to 1804, the fourth baptisms from 1804 to 1812, the fifth marriages from 1805 to 1811, and the sixth burials from 1805 to 1812.
The churchyard is large and contains several elm trees, and a large yew on the north side. There is an entrance on the west side with a lych-gate.
The advowson of the church of Chipstead has generally followed the descent of the manor. Towards the end of the 13th century Ralph de Monthermer, who had married Joan widow of Gilbert the Red, and in her right was called Earl of Gloucester, presented to Chipstead Church. (fn. 82) At the beginning of the following century it was in the gift of Hugh de Audley, Earl of Gloucester, (fn. 83) through his marriage with Margaret de Clare, and from their daughter Margaret the right descended with the manor to the Earls of Stafford. (fn. 84) In 1402 it seems to have been leased to John Norton and his wife Joan, and in the following year to John Fremingham. (fn. 85) In 1422 it was mentioned amongst the right and possessions of Sir Hugh Stafford. (fn. 86)
Sir John Bourchier presented in 1519, (fn. 87) John Ledes and Agnes his wife in 1552. (fn. 88) In 1558 Thomas Matson conveyed the advowson in mortgage to Thomas Copley, (fn. 89) in the next year selling it to William Frank. (fn. 90) It was then held in turn by the Sackvilles (fn. 91) and by William and John Poyntz. (fn. 92) Edward Scott presented in 1571, Lord St. John and Winifred his wife in 1573, and Lord Dacre in 1586. The advowson was conveyed in 1613 to John Huntley. After the resale of the property in 1615 the right of presentation no longer belonged to the lord of the manor. In 1658 it was owned by George Moore, (fn. 93) and in 1664 was still held by his wife Margaret, then a widow. (fn. 94) The Crown presented in 1678, and Thomas Middleton in 1740. Anthony Nott had the advowson in 1747 and 1753. William Jolliffe bought it about 1790 and his descendant Lord Hylton now holds it. Anne Aubertin presented in 1808 by agreement with Col. Hylton Jolliffe. (fn. 95)
In the Taxation of Pope Nicholas and in Wykeham's Register the spiritualities of Chipstead were rated at £18 13s. 4d., the tithes being £1 17s. 4d. (fn. 96) In 1428 the church was taxed at £21 6s. 8d. and paid a subsidy of £1 17s. 4d. (fn. 97) Under Henry VIII the value was nearly the same, being £18 3s. 6d.; 2s., however, was due yearly to the Bishop of Winchester and 7s. 7½d. for the procurations of the archdeacon, reducing the net value to £17 13s. 10½d. Of this, the house and grounds were worth 30s.; the tithes of grain amounted to £9. and private baptisms brought in about 6s. 8d. yearly. (fn. 98)
The commissioners of 1658 recommended the union of Chipstead and Kingswood in Ewell.
Smith's Charity is distributed as in other Surrey parishes. Christopher Shaw, embroiderer, who died 31 July 1618, and was buried at Chipstead, left an annual rent-charge of 16s. for the poor.