A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
47. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. JAMES, SHOREHAM
Practically nothing is known of this hospital beyond the fact that it was in existence in 1249, when an action was brought against the master, (fn. 1) and that its site and buildings were granted to John and William Mersh of London in 1574. (fn. 2) The space between these dates is only bridged by occasional small bequests in the wills of local testators. Whether this is the hospital mentioned in the Valor (fn. 3) of 1535 as worth £1 6s. 8d., or whether the reference is to that of St. Katherine is doubtful.