A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
61. THE BALLIVATE OF ATHERINGTON
Besides their priory at Arundel the abbey of Séez had certain estates in the neighbourhood of Littlehampton which were under the charge of one of their monks settled at Atherington, where there was a grange with a chapel of which there are still considerable remains. This monk was usually called the bailiff of Atherington, though he appears in 1332 on an application for an aid towards the marriage of the king's sister as prior of Atherington. (fn. 1) In 1349 Edward St. John had licence to alienate to the abbey of Séez, namely to their cell or house of Atherington, property up to the value of £10. (fn. 2) Upon the suppression of the alien houses by Henry V the estates of the bailiff of Atherington passed to the abbess of Syon.
Bailiffs of Atherington
William Olyver, occurs c. 1304 (fn. 3)
Peter de Orgericüs, occurs 1325 (fn. 4)
Emerick, occurs 1337 (fn. 5)
Michael Nauchal, occurs 1353 (fn. 8)
Richard, occurs 1376 (fn. 9)
Oliver Miche (?), occurs 1403 (fn. 10)