A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
30. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. JAMES, ARUNDEL
As early as 1189 there was a hospital for lepers at Arundel, £12 2s. being paid for its maintenance in that year, (fn. 1) while in 1196 the leprous sisters of the church of St. James received £9 8s. (fn. 2) The patronage of the chapel of St. James for lepers was held by John Fitz Alan at the time of his death in 1262, and the mills of Swanbourne were at this time charged with an annual payment of £9 0s. 8d. to the leprous women of Arundel. (fn. 3) The chapel passed into the possession of the college of Arundel, and in 1459 was occupied by a hermit. (fn. 4)