A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
37. THE HOSPITAL OF 'LODDESDOWN,' CHICHESTER
According to Dallaway, (fn. 1) the hospital of St. Mary Magdalen of Loddesdown was situated at 'Maudlins' Farm in West Hampnett; this seems probably correct, but he is apparently wrong in saying that it was united with the hospital of St. James. It was originally a house for lepers; (fn. 2) a bequest made in 1404 by John Tregoz 'for the maintenance of the poor in the hospital of St. Mary Magdalen, on the way to (versus) Chichester' (fn. 3) must refer to this house, and there is a definite reference to 'the poor of Loddesdowne' as late as 1418. (fn. 4) Beyond this nothing seems to be known of this small hospital.