A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 4, the Rape of Chichester. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1953.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF ALDWICK
CONTAINING THE PARISHES OF
THIS is a discrete hundred composed of the estates of the See of Canterbury, based on the important manor of Pagham, which originally gave its name to the hundred. It continued to appear as the Hundred of Pagham until 1428, (fn. 1) but a few years later the title was changed to Aldwick, (fn. 2) and so continued, though in the record of a subsidy in 1524 it appears as the Hundred of Aldwick and Pagham. (fn. 3)
East Lavant, which in the Domesday Survey was entered under Singleton Hundred, (fn. 4) had been attached to Pagham by 1275 (fn. 5) but, having now been united to Mid Lavant, is treated under the Hundred of Westbourne and Singleton. Tangmere, although completely surrounded by the Hundred of Box, was already part of Pagham Hundred in 1086; (fn. 6) at which date Slindon was in the hands of Earl Roger as part of the Hundred of Binsted, later Avisford, (fn. 7) in what became the Rape of Arundel. After Henry I gave Slindon to the Archbishop it was attached to this hundred. Bognor is a modern parish, formerly a hamlet of Pagham. A detached portion of the hundred, known as The Headacre, or 'Thedacre', lay in the suburb of Chichester outside the East Gate. (fn. 8) Within the city was the Archbishop's peculiar of The Pallant, which was for certain purposes attached to this hundred until 1552, when it was transferred to the mayor and corporation of Chichester. (fn. 9)
'The Hundred House of Aldwick was in the present Barrack Lane, the site now occupied by Grange Farm Lodge. In 1617 the Hundred House was reported to be in ruinous condition.' (fn. 10) It seems to have been rebuilt and was pulled down about 1930. The lordship of the hundred descended with the manor of North Bersted (q.v.). (fn. 11)