A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 4, the Rape of Chichester. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1953.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This parish, containing 678 acres, lies to the south of Midhurst. Until 1851 it was a detached portion of the parish of Woolavington, in the Rape of Arundel. In that year a church was built for Archdeacon Manning, (fn. 1) at that time rector of Woolavington. It was built, in the Decorated style, from the designs of William Butterfield and stands in a singularly beautiful situation. In the churchyard is the tomb of Richard Cobden, who lived at Dunfold, on the borders of this parish and Heyshott.
The district known as Cocking Causeway, a narrow projection from the body of Cocking parish, has been attached to this parish for ecclesiastical purposes, and Great Todham has been transferred from Easebourne. (fn. 2)
West Lavington has no manorial history apart from Woolavington, the descent of which has followed that of Graffham (q.v.).