A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 4, the Rape of Chichester. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1953.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Work was begun on this volume in 1939, and much of it, including most of the architectural descriptions, was compiled during the first years of the War. Circumstances then made it necessary to lay it aside, and it has only recently been possible to complete it.
Thanks are due to Mr. W. D. Peckham, who not only undertook all the descriptions of ecclesiastical architecture, including the drawing of most of the plans of churches, but also read the proofs. Mr. B. Campbell Cooke, the County Archivist, also kindly read all the proofs and made many valuable corrections.
To the Council of the Sussex Archaeological Society we are indebted for the loan of blocks, and to the Council of the Sussex Record Society for permission to use many of the illustrations from the Burrell Collections reproduced in that Society's Jubilee Volume of Sussex Views. Mr. Walter Godfrey, C.B.E., F.S.A., generously put at our disposal the photographs in the collections of the National Buildings Record. To Miss E. M. Gardner, O.B.E., we owe our frontispiece; the Duke of Richmond and Gordon kindly allowed us to reproduce the maps of Singleton and Tangmere from the 1798 Book of Surveys of his estates; and Mr. Lindsay Fleming provided four illustrations from his History of Pagham.
To others who have given their help in specific instances acknowledgement is made in our footnotes.