A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 2, Bramber Rape (North-Western Part) Including Horsham. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1986.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A Roman Catholic was recorded in the parish in 1767. (fn. 1)
A Baptist was mentioned in 1662. (fn. 2) Richard Haines of West Wantley (d. 1685) had become a Baptist by 1657 and was later a member of the Horsham congregation, but was excommunicated from 1672 to 1680. (fn. 3) There was no dissenting chapel in 1865. (fn. 4)
In 1962 a Methodist congregation which had begun meeting in Storrington in 1960 transferred its services to Sullington parish hall. The same year a site for a permanent church was acquired in Thakeham Road. Trinity Methodist Church, a brick hall church, was built there in 1966-7 to seat 140 worshippers. The membership, which numbered 44 in 1966, had increased by 1983 to 121, of whom c. 100 attended morning service on Sundays. (fn. 5)