A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 3, Bramber Rape (North-Eastern Part) Including Crawley New Town. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1987.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A National school was built in 1844 in the centre of the parish 300 yd. north of the church, on land given by Mrs. Mary Goring. (fn. 4) Eighteen boys and 26 girls attended on weekdays in 1846-7, (fn. 5) and in 1870 the school was supported by an endowment, school pence, and voluntary contributions. (fn. 6) Average attendance was 51 in 1875-6, (fn. 7) falling thereafter to 34 in 1903-4; (fn. 8) in 1938 it was 42. (fn. 9)
A new school was built on the west side of the village in 1961 at the expense of Mr. John Goring, the old building being afterwards converted into a house. In 1976 the school was called Albourne C.E. (Controlled) school; (fn. 10) there were 123 children on the roll in 1984, most of whom came from other parishes. (fn. 11)