A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 3, Bramber Rape (North-Eastern Part) Including Crawley New Town. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1987.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1808 there was a school for eight children, (fn. 1) and in 1819 eight or ten girls were instructed at the expense of the rector and other parishioners, some boys going to school in Henfield. (fn. 2) In 1835 (fn. 3) and 1846-7 (fn. 4) there was no school in the parish. A red brick National school, in similar architectural style to the rectory, was opened in 1863 on the Henfield-Brighton road south-east of the church. In 1865 c. 38 attended regularly; an annual grant was then received, besides voluntary contributions and school pence. (fn. 5) Average attendance was 24 in 1870-1. (fn. 6) In 1875 the school had been closed for lack of support, (fn. 7) but after its reopening before 1886 average attendance rose to 63 in 1903-4, (fn. 8) thereafter falling to 25 in 1938. (fn. 9) The school was closed in 1957. (fn. 10)
R. C. Hales, rector 1860-89, ran a night school for nine years which had ceased by 1875. (fn. 11)