A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 3, Bramber Rape (North-Eastern Part) Including Crawley New Town. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1987.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A bequest to 20 poorhouse pupils c. 1530 may indicate the existence then of a charitable school. (fn. 1)
Various schools were recorded in the parish in the earlier 19th century, the connexion between them being uncertain. In 1819 there was a school for c. 40 boys, 20 of whom were boarders, and another for 35 girls; in addition some children went to Steyning National school. (fn. 2) In 1833 there were two day schools for 47 boys and 18 girls, all taught at their parents' expense, besides a Sunday school, begun in 1831, where 30 boys and 34 girls were taught free. (fn. 3) The school recorded c. 1840 in Bramber parish just west of Beeding bridge was evidently for Beeding children, since it was leased by Magdalen College to the vicar of Beeding. (fn. 4) In 1846-7 there was a day and Sunday school supported by a grant from the National Society and by subscriptions and payments; it had a paid mistress, and 17 boys and 16 girls attended, besides another 8 boys and 22 girls on Sundays only. (fn. 5) What was apparently the same school had 49 weekday pupils on the books in 1859. (fn. 6) An 'academy' flourished in 1845, and in 1852 had both day and boarding pupils. (fn. 7)
Upper Beeding National school was opened in 1872 on a site in Church Lane conveyed by Magdalen College. (fn. 8) In 1874 it could accommodate 96 pupils, (fn. 9) and four years later it was receiving an annual grant. (fn. 10) A school board for the parish was formed in 1885 (fn. 11) and took over the school apparently in the same year. (fn. 12) By 1886 average attendance was 62. (fn. 13) Afterwards, partly because of the opening of Small Dole school, it fell, but it then increased to 69 in 1903-4 (fn. 14) and 112 in 1910. (fn. 15) By 1932, with the great increase in house building in the parish, and with the addition of pupils from Bramber and Botolphs, it had reached 228. (fn. 16) A new school building was opened in 1970. In 1981, as Upper Beeding county primary school, it had 396 pupils. (fn. 17)
Small Dole board (later council) school was opened in 1892 in leased premises. (fn. 18) Average attendance was 19 in 1895-6, (fn. 19) rising to 24 in 1910 and 49 in 1932. Afterwards it fell to 40 in 1938, (fn. 20) and the school was closed in 1952. (fn. 21)