A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 3, Bramber Rape (North-Eastern Part) Including Crawley New Town. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1987.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The urban district established in 1956 was divided into eight wards corresponding to neighbourhoods but excluding Gossops Green. The development corporation sold the site for a town hall north of the Boulevard to the urban district council in 1958; the hall and offices were opened in 1964. (fn. 1) The urban district became a borough in 1974. (fn. 2) There were 13 wards in 1983. (fn. 3) Elections were by thirds. (fn. 4)
Whereas before 1956 Crawley parish council was not divided by party, the urban district council was controlled by Labour except in 1969 and 1970. (fn. 5) In 1983 there were 20 Labour and 12 Conservative borough councillors. (fn. 6)