A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 3, Barlichway Hundred. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1945.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Population: 1911, 1,524; 1921, 1,504; 1931, 1,947.
The parish of Hatton consists of the village of that name with the townships of Shrewley and Beausale to the north-west and north-east respectively. It is an undulating district, the height varying from 300 to 410 ft. One or two small rivulets flow through the parish on their way to the Avon.
The subsoil throughout the district is Keuper Marl, the surface more or less gravelly. A considerable portion is pasturage, but some cereals and roots are grown.
The first-class road from Warwick to Birmingham runs through the parish in a north-westerly direction and forms part of its boundary. There is also a branch road to Rowington and Beausale, and other roads connect those just mentioned, starting from the 'five ways'. There is a railway station in the parish on the junction of the G.W.R. lines to Birmingham, Warwick, and Stratford. The Warwick and Birmingham Canal also passes through Hatton. The railway cutting through Shrewley is a very fine and imposing example of engineering skill.
Part of Haseley Park is in Hatton and there are several small patches of woodland, the largest being Newland Wood. In former times the woods of Hatton were of some extent and value. In 1086 the woodland at Shrewley was 1 league long and ½ league broad, (fn. 1) and there were 2 furlongs at Beausale. (fn. 2) In 1572 a dispute arose between Robert Burgoyne and the inhabitants of Hatton and Beausale as to the wood called Shortwood near Beausale Heath. It had belonged to the nuns of Wroxall, and Burgoyne claimed it as part of Wroxall parish. It was, however, really in Hatton parish and the parishioners had always been accustomed to have wood for the repair of their tenements and the church from it. (fn. 3) The controversy about Shortwood broke out again in 1600 (fn. 4) between Job Throckmorton and Burgoyne, and another wood called Manold and a tenement called Westwood Trees or Westle Trees were also involved. It was said that 'the tenement seemeth to be a very ancient tenement, because of the ancient manner of building of the same'. The general opinion seemed to be that the wood and tenement were in Hatton, though since the time of Robert Burgoyne's coming to dwell at Wroxall they had been encompassed in the perambulation of Wroxall. Job Throckmorton, as lord of Hatton, also laid claim to certain closes which lay in the manor of Honiley. In the course of depositions made in the suit it was stated that in old time Hatton men in their perambulation went with their banners by John Blyke's ground to the Callowe Cross and so to the Gunney House or Gunnehouse.
There was a large common in Shrewley in 1628 with 'many hundred trees therein, whereof the inhabitants take great benefit in time of mast'. (fn. 5)
The Vicarage was built at the cost of the parish for the Rev. Thomas Nelson (1749–57) with local bricks and stone from Rowington and Hornton. It was enlarged in 1785, when Dr. Parr became vicar. (fn. 6)
About 300 yards south-west of the church is a small farm-house facing north, evidently once considerably larger; it was perhaps the original Hatton House. The ground plan is rectangular. The middle bay of the front is of ashlar and is the back of a large chimneystack with an 8 ft.-wide fire-place, with an entrance and lobby east of it. It is gathered in, above, to a broad chimney-shaft of thin bricks, treated with V-shaped pilasters on the front and ends. The outer doorway has an elliptical head: the inner has a four-centred head and an ancient nail-studded door. The room with the fire-place has an open-timbered ceiling: probably the whole dates from about 1540–50. The east and west bays are brick-faced, except the gable-heads in the front, which are of 17th-century timber-framing. They have both been much altered, but some old ceiling beams remain. There are many excrescences on the ground to the west and south of the house, where former buildings existed.
The present Hatton House to the east is modern.
'Little Nunhold' about a mile to the south is a mid-to late-17th-century house showing square framing in the north end. The front is covered with rough-cast cement.
Beausale has no village, and of the houses scattered about the parish none is of great age. The largest, Beausale House, is an 18th-century building of red brick with stone angle-dressings and square-headed windows with key-blocks. On the roadside west of it are two barns, farther north a cottage, and ¾ mile south-east a farm-house, all preserving some timber-framing of the 17th century.
The village of Shrewley is on a triangle of roads, and near the south-east corner of the triangle is a cottage of 17th-century timber-framing with a tiled roof and plain central chimney-stack.
The Durham Ox Inn, about 3/8 mile to the south-west, is a modernized building containing 17th-century beams, &c. inside.
'Pinley Hill', ½ mile south of Hatton station, is a 17th-century house that has been considerably enlarged in modern times. The middle part of the north front has a gabled wing with timber-framing to the upper story and gable-head, and a framed porch. The entrance door has ornamental strap hinges fastened on the face but disused. An old central chimney-stack has a cross-shaped shaft set diagonally.
Dr. Samuel Parr was presented to the curacy of Hatton by Lady Trafford. He enlarged the parsonage house, and, settling there in 1785, remained until his death in 1825. He had been a master at Harrow and head of Colchester Grammar School, and for some years after coming to Hatton took a limited number of pupils. In 1820 he wrote a solemn protest in the parish prayer-book at Hatton against the omission of the name of Queen Caroline from the liturgy, and he was appointed her chaplain. He lived on very friendly terms with his parishioners, and gave the villagers a dinner to celebrate May Day. (fn. 7)
Edward Henry Barker, the classical scholar, lived for some years (1810–15) with Dr. Parr at Hatton. (fn. 8) Many of the essays in his Classical Recreations were written at Hatton and dedicated to Dr. Parr. Edward Forster (1769–1828), the writer and publisher of several illustrated editions of standard authors, e.g. Don Quixote and The Arabian Nights, was a friend of Dr. Parr, and lived for some time at Hatton. (fn. 9)
It is possible that 2½ hides in 'Altone' held in 1086 by Nigel de Albigni represent the later manor of HATTON. (fn. 10) The land seems, however, to have passed very soon after to the Earls of Warwick, and to have been given to Hugh Fitz Richard, called also Hugh de Hatton, (fn. 11) as it undoubtedly formed part of the 10 fees which Hugh held of William, Earl of Warwick, in 1166, by the old feoffment. (fn. 12)
Hugh gave the church of Hatton to the priory of St. Mary of Monmouth, a cell of the Benedictine Monastery of St. Florent, Saumur, founded t. Henry I, and this gift was made with the approval of his wife Margaret and his sons William and Richard, for love of Margaret's son Robert, prior of Monmouth. (fn. 13) Hugh, soon afterwards (in 1142), founded Wroxall nunnery, of the same order, upon his manor of Hatton, and his endowment of Monmouth priory was apparently transferred to Wroxall, for he gave the nuns the church of Hatton and land there. (fn. 14) William his son succeeded Hugh, and his son Richard gave the nuns of Wroxall land in Hatton. (fn. 15) Richard was succeeded by his brother Hugh son of William, who made a grant of land in Hatton in 1202 (fn. 16) and died before 1221. (fn. 17) Dugdale states that his heirs were his two sisters, Margery wife of Osbert Clinton, and later of John D'Abitot, and Maud wife of Stephen de Nerbon. (fn. 18) According to a pedigree given in a suit of 1284 Hugh had three daughters, Margery de Clinton, Maud, and another Margery, and the manor was divided between them. (fn. 19) It was further stated that the shares of Maud and the second Margery passed respectively to the prioress of Wroxall and the prioress of Pinley and others; but Margery de Clinton's descendants claimed the whole manor. As wife of John D'Abitot she claimed to be Hugh Fitz William's heir in 1221, when she granted land called Cuntilowe to Roger de Cherlecote. (fn. 20) Thomas de Clinton, son of Margery, (fn. 21) held the manor in 1242. (fn. 22) He was afterwards knighted, and he gave Hatton to his younger son James. (fn. 23) Sir Thomas and his sons John and James mortgaged it to Sir Hamo L'Estrange. The first payment became due in 1268, (fn. 24) and apparently was not paid, for Sir Hamo took possession and sold the manor next year to Sir William de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, and his wife Maud. (fn. 25) John Clinton grandson of Sir Thomas tried in 1284 to recover the manor from the earl, but failed, as the earl professed to claim only the third which had been allotted to Margery de Clinton, while John claimed from him the whole manor. (fn. 26) In 1288 John gave up his claim to the whole manor to the earl. (fn. 27) The manor descended with Warwick Castle until the forfeiture of John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, and appears to have passed in 1554 with Haseley manor to Michael Throckmorton. (fn. 28) Michael's grant of Haseley to Clement Throckmorton in 1554 included land in Hatton (fn. 29), and in 1573 Clement died seised of the manor of Hatton. (fn. 30) From that time the manor descended with Haseley. In 1937 Mrs. Lant was owner of the manor.
Hugh Fitz Richard, the founder of the nunnery of Wroxall, gave to the nuns the land late of Aytrope in Hatton, and all the lordship of Hugh between the two brooks there, and other land held by many other tenants, with the right to hold courts and other privileges. (fn. 31) This grant was confirmed by Roger, Earl of Warwick, Hugh's overlord, by Pope Alexander in 1163, and by King Edward III. (fn. 32) Hugh's descendant Richard son of William de Hatton made a further grant of land to the nuns. (fn. 33) The prioress in 1284 claimed view of frankpledge and gallows in Hatton. (fn. 34) At the Dissolution the nuns' manor of Hatton included land in Beausale, Honiley, and elsewhere. (fn. 35) The profits of the court held in 1547 amounted to 23s., and 10s. was received as the farm of a messuage called the Great House. (fn. 36) Land in Hatton was granted with the site of the priory in 1544 to Robert Burgoyne and John Scudamore. (fn. 37) Courts for this manor were held with those of Wroxall, and a series of rolls from Edward III to Henry VIII is preserved at the Public Record Office. (fn. 38)
The prior and convent of Studley also held some land in Hatton, by gift of John de Studley, and of Robert de Freynuse, and this was confirmed to them by the king in 1328. (fn. 39) John son of Eva and Amice his wife gave the prior half a virgate of land in 1262 and Henry de Long Ichinton and Juliana his wife gave a messuage at Hatton in 1271. (fn. 40) At the Dissolution the priory was receiving rents of 40s. from land at Hatton. (fn. 41)
The Prior of St. Sepulchre of Warwick held some land at Hatton (fn. 42) for which courts were held with the prior's manor in Warwick. (fn. 43) At the Dissolution the prior's estate in Hatton brought in 22s. 6d. yearly. (fn. 44)
The manor of BEAUSALE was held before the Conquest by Edwin the sheriff. In 1086 it was held by Wadard of the Bishop of Bayeux as ½ hide, and Gerold held it under Wadard. (fn. 45)
Dugdale states that it came shortly after the Conquest to Hugh son of Richard, lord of Hatton, (fn. 46) and passed to the Clintons. Thomas de Clinton held Beausale with Hatton in 1242, (fn. 47) and this manor of Beausale passed with Hatton manor to the Earl of Warwick. (fn. 48)
Thomas de Charlecote, lord of Haseley, bought of Robert de Houland all his land in Hatton and Beausale, (fn. 49) and in 1261 Thomas de Clinton, lord of Beausale, granted to Thomas de Charlecote a bank between Charlecotes wood and the great assart of Clinton, in order that Charlecote might make a brushwood fence upon the bank. (fn. 50) Thomas de Charlecote obtained a further grant, probably at about the same time, from Sir Roger de Beyvile of the homage and service of all the men of Beausale in the fee of Beyvile, (fn. 51) and other grants from John de Odeston and Agnes widow of Ralph Poce of properties at Beausale. (fn. 52) The Charlecote estate passed with Haseley manor to Guy, Earl of Warwick, in 1301. (fn. 53) These estates were joined to the Clinton's manor of Beausale, and descended with Hatton. (fn. 54)
SHREWLEY was held before the Conquest by Toli. In 1086 it formed part of the estate of Hugh de Grentemaisnil (fn. 55) and it passed with the rest of his lands (fn. 56) to Robert, Earl of Leicester. Shortly after the Conquest the earl appears to have granted Shrewley to Ernald de Bosco, who gave land there to the nuns of Pinley, and the grant was confirmed by the earl. (fn. 57)
Apparently the manor of Shrewley afterwards came by some means into the hands of the king and it appears to have been part of the fee of which Henry I enfeoffed Wigan, his marshal. Wigan seems to have forfeited it, but it was restored to his son Ralph, who held it by the service of Marshalsey. (fn. 58) Ralph paid relief for his estates during the years 1163–5. (fn. 59) The nuns of Wroxall held part of the serjeanty in 1198, (fn. 60) and in 1206 Ralph lost a suit against the Abbot of Reading for common rights in Shrewley. (fn. 61) He died about 1215 when his widow Aubrey received dower in his land. (fn. 62) His successor was William son of Wigan, who was dead in 1221, when the land in Shrewley was delivered to his nephew Master Henry de Waltham. (fn. 63) It appears that Henry was acting as warden of Ivo son of William Wigan, (fn. 64) though he made gifts of land at Shrewley both to the nuns at Pinley and at Wroxall, (fn. 65) and he held Shrewley until his death in 1235. (fn. 66) In July of the same year Ivo apparently came of age and the king took his homage for William Wigan's land in Warwickshire. (fn. 67) Ivo, who took the name 'de Shrewley', was dead by 1242, when his cousin Peter, son of Thurstan brother of William Wigan, obtained seisin of all Ivo's lands in Warwickshire, on payment of 40 marks. (fn. 68) There was, however, considerable doubt as to whether Peter was the true heir, for by an inquisition it was found that Peter was 25 years old before Thurstan married his mother, and that Thurstan and William had a sister Lucy who had a son named Ralph. Ralph's son Godfrey claimed Ivo's estates and the jurors left it to the king's discernment to decide who was the true heir. (fn. 69) In the event Ivo's land was divided between them in 1242, two carucates in Shrewley and Wileby falling to Peter's share and other land in Wileby to Godfrey's. (fn. 70) Peter had already in 1237 given to William de Lucy a carucate in Shrewley, (fn. 71) which became a separate manor. (fn. 72) There is no further reference to Peter in connexion with Shrewley, and by 1251–2 the serjeanty had passed to John de Shrewley. It had become much subdivided, and the part held by John in demesne was only 1 virgate of land, the rest being held under him by the Lucys and the nuns of Pinley and Wroxall. (fn. 73) Fulk de Lucy tried to set up a view of frankpledge and to put up gallows at Shrewley, infringing John's prerogatives as lord of the manor. In 1284 Fulk was forbidden to exercise these rights. (fn. 74) John died before 1302, when his daughter Maud was lady of Shrewley. (fn. 75) Helisence widow of John had dower in the manor, but was dead before 1309 (fn. 76) when Maud, then widow of Walter de Culy or Curly, sold the manor to Sir John de Dufford. (fn. 77) Sir John sold it in 1312 to Philip son of Philip de Gayton, but this was done without the King's licence and Philip had to pay a fine of 10 marks for pardon. (fn. 78) Philip died at his manor of La Grave in January 1316, (fn. 79) and his brother Theobald, who was his heir, died a few days after. Philip's heirs were his sisters Juliana wife of Thomas Murdac, and Scholastica then widow of Godfrey de Meaux. (fn. 80) Though Theobald had never had seisin of the land, a third of the manor was assigned to his widow Margery, who was in October 1316 wife of Henry de Valence. (fn. 81) Half the manor was assigned to Scholastica, and the remainder to Juliana. (fn. 82)
Scholastica's moiety (fn. 83) passed on her death in 1353 to her son Sir John de Meaux, (fn. 84) by whom it was sold in 1356 to Nicholas and William, sons of Roger Fililode. (fn. 85) This was done without the king's licence and in 1364, William then being dead, Nicholas paid 40s. for pardon, and for licence to hold the manor for his life with remainder to William's heirs. (fn. 86) Nicholas died in 1381, when the moiety passed to William's grandson John son of John Fililode. (fn. 87) Custody of the manor during John's minority was granted in 1387 to Giles de Fililode (fn. 88) his uncle. John died while still a minor in 1400, and the manor passed to Giles. (fn. 89) On Giles's death in 1420 the keeping of this part of the manor was granted to Geoffrey Borell, Giles's heir being his sister Katherine widow of John Blyke, said to be a minor aged 16. (fn. 90) This was clearly a mistake; she was certified as of full age in 1424, (fn. 91) and died in the following year, when Shrewley passed to her son Richard Blyke, then aged 28. (fn. 92) Richard was succeeded in 1465 by a son of the same name, (fn. 93) who held also as lessee the land belonging to the nuns of Pinley, and died in 1491, when his son Humphrey succeeded. (fn. 94) Peter Blyke died in 1524 leaving a son John then aged 8, whose marriage had been bought of Peter by John Whorwode of Compton, co. Salop, for one of his daughters. (fn. 95) John Blyke apparently acquired the Lucys' moiety of the manor (see below), for in 1561 he sold the whole manor to Clement Throckmorton of Haseley. (fn. 96) From that time the manor descended with that of Haseley (q.v.) until at least 1757. (fn. 97) In 1850 the manor was said to belong to Mrs. Ann Chattaway. (fn. 98)
The second coheiress of John de Shrewley, Juliana wife of Thomas Murdac, was executed for the murder of her husband in 1321. (fn. 99) Her land in Shrewley, which included a pasture called Birymore, was forfeited to the king, (fn. 100) and was granted to Edmund de Bretaigne. His grant was probably annulled, as it was reported in 1340 that he had wasted the land, (fn. 101) and in 1349 it was granted to Henry, Earl of Lancaster, and became part of the Duchy of Lancaster. (fn. 102) Under the duchy the land was held by the Lucys. (fn. 103) Their interest in Shrewley began in 1237 when Peter son of Thurstan subinfeudated to William de Lucy part of his serjeanty, consisting of a carucate of land and a fishpond there. (fn. 104) William's widow Maud held this carucate and 3½ virgates in Shrewley in 1251, (fn. 105) and it had passed to her grandson Fulk de Lucy of Charlecote by 1265, when the tenement included a mill. (fn. 106) Fulk died about 1302 and Shrewley manor passed to his son William. (fn. 107) William paid a subsidy in Shrewley in 1332, (fn. 108) and ten years later his widow Elizabeth had a grant of this manor for her life from her son Sir William Lucy. (fn. 109) In 1402 it was settled upon Thomas Lucy, (fn. 110) who died seised of it in 1415. (fn. 111) It descended with Charlecote (q.v.) until 1525, (fn. 112) and may perhaps have been sold by the Lucys soon after to the Blykes, as John Blyke sold the whole manor in 1561 to Clement Throckmorton. (fn. 113)
It has been seen above that Ernald de Bosco gave to the nuns of Pinley a carucate of land at Shrewley. Henry de Waltham gave the nuns half a virgate there in 1226. (fn. 114) Ivo son of William de Shrewley gave them common pasture in his land in Shrewley in 1235. (fn. 115) Fulk de Lucy disputed this right in 1271, and Sir William de Lucy in 1335, but in each case the prioress made good her claim. (fn. 116) Robert de Thayndon gave the nuns a tenement in Shrewley which Ralph son of Wigan had given him, (fn. 117) and in 1349 Thomas son of Richard de Tyttesnor gave a plot of land called Peshammesnewlond which he had by gift of John Tony of Rowington. (fn. 118) At the Dissolution the nuns were receiving rents of 7s. from tenants in Shrewley. (fn. 119) The estate at Shrewley was granted with the site of Pinley Priory to William Wigston in 1544. (fn. 120)
The parish church of HOLYTRINITY was rebuilt in 1880, except the west tower, which dates probably from the early 16th century. The modern part consists of a chancel, clearstoried nave, north and south aisles, north vestry and north porch, in the style of the late 13th century.
The tower (10¼ ft. north to south by 8½ ft. east to west) is built of ashlar in one unbroken stage with a chamfered plinth and diagonal buttresses right up to the string-course of the embattled parapet. The archway from the nave has responds of two orders, the inner rounded, with a very wide fillet, the outer hollowed, continued in the two-centred head and having moulded capitals at the springing. Above it are the lines of a high-pitched gabled roof of the nave and of a later roof of low pitch that only just cleared the arch. In the south-west angle is a stair-vice with four-centred doorways. The west window is of three cinquefoiled lights and vertical tracery in a two-centred head with an external hood-mould: this is enriched with crockets and has grotesque stops, the southern horned like a ram. The window also has an embattled transom, below which the lights have cinquefoiled heads. Below the sill is a plain string-course outside. The north and south sides have rectangular loop-lights to the second story and square buttresses flush with the east wall. An 18th-century gallery doorway in the south wall has been filled in. The bell-chamber is of different stone, a yellower kind, and is probably later than the lower part. The windows are of two trefoiled lights and a plain spandrel in a two-centred head.
The font has an ancient bowl that was originally round but has been cut in the lower half to an octagon to fit a modern stem and base; it is probably of the 13th century.
There are six bells, recast in 1885, and a sanctus bell of 1809. (fn. 121)
The communion plate includes a cup and cover paten and tankard of 1739, a salver of 1669, and two large candlesticks of 1696, all given by Mrs. Jane Norcliffe in 1745.
The register of burials begins in 1538, that of baptisms and marriages in 1589.
The church of Hatton was given by Hugh Fitz William to the priory of St. Mary of Monmouth, (fn. 122) and afterwards to the nuns of Wroxall. (fn. 123) The rectory was appropriated to the priory and was farmed for £12 at the Dissolution. (fn. 124) The nuns found a priest to say prayers at Hatton, and to take burial services, &c., as required. (fn. 125) After the Dissolution the church was served by a curate. (fn. 126) It was stated about 1550 that the church had been robbed of everything worth taking away. (fn. 127)
The advowson was not included in the grant to Michael Throckmorton, but the rectory was leased in 1574 to Katherine Throckmorton (fn. 128) widow of Clement, and from that time the Throckmortons, and later the Bromleys, presented to the church and claimed the advowson until 1757. (fn. 129) Bacon in 1745 states that trustees nominated the clerk that the owner of Pinley farm mansion house appointed. (fn. 130) In 1831 Mrs. Baker was patron; (fn. 131) she died about 1849 and the advowson seems to have passed to her niece Margaret Trafford, who assumed the name of Southwell and in 1879 was succeeded by her nephew Edward Southwell Trafford. (fn. 132) After his death it was held by trustees, but was acquired, in about 1909, by Alfred Hewlett, (fn. 133) and passed with Haseley (q.v.), with which it is now united.
The rectory remained in the possession of the Throckmortons until 1703, (fn. 134) when Lady Frances Throckmorton conveyed it to Hugh Jones and Charles Saule. (fn. 135) In 1719 William Norcliffe conveyed it to Franklin Miller and Arnold Warren. (fn. 136)
There was a chapel at Beausale in the 13th century, in honour of St. John the Evangelist. It was endowed by John D'Abitot, with the consent of Margery de Clinton his wife, with all his land in the field called Rykenylesbury, and the land held by Martin the miller of Beausale, and the moor between the fishpond and the mill, and other land, including 6 acres which Margery had bought from Maud her sister. (fn. 137) It passed with the manor of Beausale to the Earls of Warwick, and in 1328 the king presented to the chantry in the chapel as guardian of the heir of the earl. (fn. 138) Thomas, Earl of Warwick, apparently granted it to the college of St. Mary of Warwick, (fn. 139) but in 1398 the king granted the wardenship of the chapel, then known as Cocouchirche or Cokeuchirche, to Thomas Knight, who had been expelled from a prebend in the College of Warwick. (fn. 140) The Earl of Warwick presented John Verney after Knight's death. (fn. 141) Before 1501 the socalled parish church of Cokkowe Church was in ruins, and the site and cemetery had been applied to profane uses. There were no inhabitants who could rebuild it, and the king gave the site, with 40s. payable to the rector and warden of the church, to the College of Warwick, in exchange for certain glebe belonging to the church and an undertaking by the Dean and Chapter to keep a mass every Friday in the collegiate church for the king's soul. (fn. 142) The college was receiving £4 in rent from Cuckow Church at the Dissolution, (fn. 143) and in 1545 John Coppe had a lease of a messuage and a close called Ruytons Bury, or Rounde Table, lying in Beausale, being Cockowe Church Land. (fn. 144) The earthwork at Camp Hill, Beausale, (fn. 145) is still known as the Round Table and may be the site of Rykmersbury, mentioned by Rous (fn. 146) as a depopulated village.
Edwards Coat and Gown Charity. William Edwards by will dated 29 Jan. 1722 gave certain premises in Stonely, Ashoe, and Warwick to provide six poor widows of the hamlets of Hatton, Shrewley, and Bewsall with coats and gowns every other year, any residue to be laid out in Bibles to be given to the poor. Owing to an increase of rents it was directed by an Order of the Court dated 28 July 1818 that the number of coats and gowns should be increased as required and after the distribution of the Bibles any surplus should be applied for the benefit of the poor of the parish of Hatton including the hamlets of Shrewley and Bewsall. The income of the charity now amounts to about £80 per annum, derived from the rent of property in Kenilworth and Leek Wootton and from stock held by the Official Trustee of Charitable Funds in trust for the charity.
Jane Baker by will proved 19 March 1849 gave to the churchwardens and overseers £500 3 per cent. annuities upon trust to apply the income in the purchase of coals to be distributed among the poor of the parish. The legacy is now represented by £500 Consols.
Jane Norcliffe by will dated 20 Feb. 1748 bequeathed £100, the interest to be laid out in bread and distributed among the poor of Hatton. Owing to various reasons the legacy eventually amounted to £400 and is now represented by £411 9s. 2d. Consols.
Throckmorton's Charity. By an indenture dated 27 May 1652 certain lands and hereditaments at Hatton and Shrewley, the gift and feoffment of Catherine Throckmorton, were conveyed to trustees upon trust that the rents and profits should be employed in and upon the repair of the church at Hatton and the relief of the poor and impotent persons of the parish. The endowment now consists of property at Hatton let at an annual rent of £31 10s. together with stock, the whole producing an annual income of about £33.
The above-mentioned charities are regulated by a Scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 15 June 1909. The Scheme appoints a body of six trustees to administer the charities and provides for the application of the income of the charities, viz. One moiety of the net income of Throckmorton's Charity to be paid to the vicar and churchwardens for the repair of the parish church. The remaining moiety, together with the net income of the charities of Edwards, Baker, and Norcliffe, to be consolidated under the title of Hatton Consolidated Fund and after payment of a yearly sum of £6 to the vicar for the purchase of Bibles, &c., for poor persons, to be applied for the general benefit of the poor in accordance with the provisions contained in the Scheme. The total income of the charities amounts to about £140 per annum.
The Rev. Thomas Jackson by will proved 4 April 1870 gave to the minister and churchwardens £100, the interest to be distributed in coal to the poor of the three hamlets of Hatton. The dividends, amounting to £2 14s. 4d. per annum, are so distributed.