A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 4, Hemlingford Hundred. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1947.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Work on this volume was begun at the same time as that on Volume III (issued at the end of 1945) but was unavoidably held up by the hindrances to research and to printing caused by war and post-war conditions. Further delay was caused by the intention of including in this volume, where it belongs historically and geographically, the History of Birmingham; circumstances have rendered this impossible and Birmingham has had to be postponed.
Thanks are due to Sir William Dugdale, Bart., F.S.A., for kindly reading and correcting the proofs of a number of parishes. The incumbents of most of the parishes also read the proofs of their own parishes and in many instances gave valuable information. For taking photographs specially for our use we are again indebted to Mr. W. A. Clark, F.S.A., F.R.P.S.; Mr. H. M. Cashmore, Librarian of the Birmingham Reference Library, kindly supplied copies of many drawings in the Aylesford Collection which show buildings that have been much altered in the past hundred years; for permission to reproduce other illustrations we have to thank the proprietors of Country Life and Mr. Walter H. Godfrey, F.S.A., Director of the National Buildings Record.
Acknowledgement of other assistance is made in the footnotes, but we would again express our appreciation to all who helped, and particularly to the owners of ancient buildings who courteously gave our architect access to examine them.