BHO

List of Illustrations and Maps

Pages viii-ix

A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 18. Originally published by Boydell & Brewer for Victoria County History, Woodbridge, 2011.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by Victoria County History Wiltshire. All rights reserved.

Citation:

In this section

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS AND MAPS

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

Thanks are rendered to the following for permission to reproduce material: the Conway Library, Courtauld Institute of Art, for photographs of paintings by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum; Cricklade Museum; English Heritage for material in the National Monuments Record and for photographs taken in 2005 and 2008; The National Archives; Wiltshire Building Record; and Wiltshire County Council.

Figure Page
1 Cricklade: aerial view of the town. (English Heritage, National Monuments Record, A110109). 15
2 Cricklade: St Sampson's parish church. Watercolour by John Buckler, 1810. (Wiltshire Heritage Museum). 23
3 Cricklade: High Street. (Cricklade Museum). 24
4 Cricklade: 23 High Street, English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 27
5 Cricklade: bungalows and houses of the Culverhey estate. (Wiltshire Council, Libraries and Heritage). 30
6 Cricklade: Jenner's Hall, English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 35
7 Cricklade: market day in High Street. (Cricklade Museum). 43
8 Cricklade: the White Hart Inn, High Street. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 52
9 Cricklade: the Town Band and Working Men's Association (Cricklade Museum). 55
10 Cricklade: Anglo-Saxon carving in St Sampson's parish church. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 64
11 Cricklade: St Sampson's parish church, interior. Watercolour by John Buckler, 1810 (Wiltshire Heritage Museum). 65
12 Cricklade: St Mary's parish church. Watercolour by John Buckler, 1810 (Wiltshire Heritage Museum). 67
13 Cricklade: public baptism ceremony (Cricklade Museum). 69
14 Cricklade: Hailstone Farm, Chelworth. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 72
15 Ashton Keynes: view of High Road looking north. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 115
16 Ashton Keynes: the gate piers at Manor Farm. (Wiltshire Council, Libraries and Heritage). 120
17 Ashton Keynes: view along Church Walk. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 128
18 Ashton Keynes: former Plough Inn, English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 131
19 Ashton Keynes: Holy Cross parish church. Watercolour by John Buckler, 1810 (Wiltshire Heritage Museum). 137
20 Ashton Keynes: Holy Cross parish church, font. Watercolour by John Buckler, 1810 (Wiltshire Heritage Museum). 140
21 Eisey: St Mary's parish church. Watercolour by John Buckler, 1810 (Wiltshire Heritage Museum). 154
22 Latton: St John's parish church, exterior. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 159
23 Latton: Thames and Severn canal lock and watchman's house (Wiltshire Council, Libraries and Heritage). 165
24 Latton: St John's parish church, interior. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 170
25 Leigh: aerial photo of the village. (Wiltshire Council, Libraries and Heritage). 173
26 Leigh: Cove House. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 177
27 Leigh: Leigh church, the old chancel. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 183
28 Leigh: the old church, interior of chancel. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 184
29 Lydiard Millicent: All Saints' parish church. (Wiltshire Council, Libraries and Heritage). 190
30 Lydiard Millicent: Old Rectory in the Butts. (Wiltshire Council, Libraries and Heritage). 207
31 Marston Meysey: St James' parish church. (English Heritage, National Monuments Record, AA80/04690). 215
32 Marston Meysey: the Grange. (Wiltshire Council, Libraries and Heritage). 218
33 Marston Meysey: the old church. Watercolour by John Buckler, 1810. (Wiltshire Heritage Museum). 224
34 Minety: Lyngrove Farmhouse. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 228
35 Minety: the New Red Lion. (Gordon Miles). 237
36 Minety: St Leonard's parish church. Watercolour by John Buckler, 1810 (Wiltshire Heritage Museum). 241
37 Minety: St Leonard's parish church, Nicholas Paulet, funeral brass. Watercolour by John Buckler, 1810 (Wiltshire Heritage Museum). 242
38 Purton: view of Purton. (Wiltshire Council, Libraries and Heritage). 249
39 Purton: Bentham House. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 253
40 Purton: view of Church End. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 256
41 Purton: barns at Manor Farm. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 257
42 Purton: engraving of Restrop House. Some Old Wiltshire Homes (1894). 261
43 Purton: Pond Farm. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 262
44 Purton: Purton Spa, University of London (Elizabeth Williamson). 271
45 Purton: Purton library. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 273
46 Purton: the former Reading Room in Purton Stoke. English Heritage (Mike Hesketh-Roberts). 273
47 Purton: St Mary's parish church. Watercolour by John Buckler, 1810 (Wiltshire Heritage Museum). 279
48 Purton: St Mary's parish church, interior. University of London (Elizabeth Williamson). 283
49 Braydon: Ancient map of Braydon Forest. The National Archives (PRO, MPC 1/51). 287
50 Braydon: Red Lodge c. 1901. Sale Cat., WSA (300/4). 288
51 Braydon: The Primitive Methodist chapel. Wiltshire Building Record (B9331). 290

LIST OF MAPS

Unless otherwise stated all maps were drawn by Cath D'Alton from drafts prepared by Virginia Bainbridge, Alex Craven and Douglas Crowley © University of London. Information is taken from tithe award maps at Wiltshire and Swindon Archives, and chiefly 6″ 1st edition Ordnance Survey maps.

Map Page
1 Introduction: key to volumes published. xvii
2 Introduction: the parishes of the study area, overlaid on OS 1″ Old Series map, 1828. 2
3 Introduction: the parishes of the study area c. 1885, overlaid with the extent of Braydon Forest in 1228 and 1300 (VCH Wilts IV, 445). 3
4 Cricklade: the parishes of St Sampson and St Mary c. 1890, based on OS map. 14
5 Cricklade: the town in 1830, based on a manuscript map (WSA, 374/305A H). 20
6 Cricklade: Chelworth and North Meadow c. 1785, based on the inclosure award of 1788 (WSA, EA/40) and the tithe award of the parish of St Sampson, 1842. 71
7 Cricklade: Chelworth and North Meadow c. 1875, based on OS map. 73
8 Cricklade: the part of the parish of St Sampson within Braydon Forest c. 1875, based on OS map. 76
9 Cricklade: Calcutt c. 1800, based on the tithe award map of 1842. 103
10 Cricklade: Widhill tithing in 1838, based on the tithe award (TNA: PRO, IR 30/38/279). 105
11 Ashton Keynes: the parish in 1875, based on OS map. 110
12 Ashton Keynes: the village in 1875, based on OS map. 113
13 Eisey: the parish c. 1850, based on estates maps of 1846 (WSA, 374/322) and 1850 (WSA, 374/289), and the tithe award of 1849. 141
14 Latton: the parish c. 1802, based on the inclosure award (WSA, EA/198). 155
15 Leigh: Leigh township in 1875, based on OS map. 172
16 Lydiard Millicent: the parish in 1839, based on the tithe award. 186–7
17 Marston Meysey: the parish in 1839, based on the tithe award. 211
18 Minety: the parish in 1875, based on OS map. 225
19 Purton: Purton and Braydon parishes c. 1875, based on OS map. 245
20 Purton: Church End, section of OS 1:2500, Wilts. IX–X, XV (1887–8).
21 Purton: the centre of settlement, section of OS 1:2500, Wilts. IX–X, XV (1887–8). 250–1
22 Purton: Purton Stoke, section of OS 1:2500, Wilts. IX–X, XV (1887–8).