A History of the County of Worcester: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Iccecumbe, Iccacumb (viii cent.); Iacumbe (xi cent.); Ikcoumbe (xiii cent.).
The parish of Iccomb or Icomb lies in a valley of the Cotswolds about 2 miles south-east of Stow-onthe-Wold; the boundary is formed on the western side by the road from Stow to Burford, and on the south by Westcote Brook, but it runs for the most part along the borders of various fields. The parish, which is now entirely in Gloucestershire, contains about 1,184 acres, of which 513 were in Worce tershire until 1844. (fn. 1) This part, Church Iccomb, is divided from the rest of the parish by a small stream which is crossed by a footbridge near the village and flows southwards into Westcote Brook. Both Church Iccomb and the adjoining hamlet stand on the lower slopes of Iccomb Hill, near the top of which are the remains of an ancient camp. There is a round tower in the sham Gothic taste of the early 19th century on the hill at the point where the boundary between Iccomb and Church Iccomb touches the road to the village. Further down the hill this road winds about to form a rough quadrangle, at the south-east corner of which stands the church, while two of its sides form the main streets of Church Iccomb, a grey stone village set comfortably in a valley of orchards and backed by the bare wold.
The soil is clay and stone brash, the subsoil lias. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips, but the greater part of the land is pasture. The common lands in Church Iccomb were inclosed in 1810 under the Act of 1809. (fn. 2)
Iccomb Place, which has been conservatively restored by its present owner, Mr. George SimpsonHayward, stands to the south of the brook which formed the old county boundary and was always in Gloucestershire; it is a fine two-storied stone house of the early 15th century, and was probably built by Sir John Blaket, who resided here from 1400 to the year of his death, 1430. (fn. 3) The original plan included two courtyards, divided from each other by the hall, the principal or entrance court being on the north and the office court on the south. The entrance court with the buildings surrounding it survives in its entirety. At the west end are the withdrawing room and solar, on the east were the buttery, larder and cellar, while the northern range, which is pierced by the entrance gateway, contained the private apartments of the family, with a porter's lodge at the eastern end opening out of the gateway. Of the office court the eastern range, which contained the kitchen, and a portion of the western range alone remain, the southern range having been pulled down within living memory. The surviving portion of the house, including as it does the most important apartments, is externally in a fine state of preservation, and the details are characteristic of the best work of the period. Unfortunately the interior has suffered severely, and much fine panelling has been removed.
The entrance gateway is a little to the east of the centre of the north front, of which it forms the most important feature. The wall is here broken forward to about the projection of the eaves of the roof, and is crowned by a well-moulded cornice and embattled parapet. The gateway itself has an elaborately moulded four-centred head, and is flanked by buttresses of one offset, rising to a little above the string-course, which here marks the level of the upper floor. In the upper stage thus formed is a square-headed window of four lights with good vertical tracery in the head, both lights and tracery being uncusped. The label is formed by the lower members of the crowning cornice which are returned downwards on either side to the usual level. This gatehouse-like projection separates the façade into two unequal lengths. Immediately to the east of it is the corbelledout chimney stack of a first-floor fireplace, surmounted by a square stone shaft. Nearly in the centre of the western part of the facade is a similar chimney stack. Both floors are lighted by square-headed windows of two and three lights. The more important have labels; the mullions have been in some cases restored. The walls of this and the other portions of the house are of rubble masonry, with ashlar quoins, and have in some instances been covered with rough-cast. The roof of the range is terminated at either end by gables with moulded copings and foliated gablet finials. The interior of the gateway is ungroined and plain; doorways in the east and west sides lead to the porter's lodge and to the private apartments on the west. A four-centred arch, plainly chamfered and the whole width of the gateway, opens into the courtyard, which within its narrow compass presents all the characteristic features of the domestic architecture of the 15th century. On the south side is the hall with its richly moulded entrance doorway and tall traceried windows; on the west the withdrawing room and solar upon whose oriel have been lavished the utmost pains of mediaeval mason craft. The plainer elevations of the east and north sides mark their more utilitarian purpose. The walls here are covered with rough-cast.
The hall is entered at the south-east of the courtyard by a doorway with a two-centred head within a square containing casement mould and label. The spandrels are traceried and each has a blank shield. In the opposite wall is a similar doorway. The screens and gallery have disappeared, and their place has been taken by a modern gallery, communicating with the rooms on the first floor of the eastern range, and continued externally in half-timber across the east end of the courtyard. An entrance hall has been formed by the insertion of a modern partition; the remaining and larger portion of the hall is now used as a dining room. In the north wall are two lofty square-headed windows with casement-moulded jambs, each of two transomed lights, with uncusped two-centred heads and vertical tracery over. In the south wall is one similar window. The twin doorways in the east wall leading to the kitchen and buttery have been blocked and are no longer visible from the hall. In the south wall is a fireplace with a 17th-century stone chimney-piece, removed here recently from the withdrawing room, which is reached by a doorway at the west end of the north wall. A corridor has been erected against the ground-stage of the south wall to connect the remaining portions of the east and west ranges of the former office-court. A flat plaster ceiling conceals the trusses of the roof, which have collars stiffened by curved braces, moulded purlins, and arched wind-braces.
The withdrawing room occupies the whole of the ground floor of the range at the west end of the entrance-court. It is now divided by brick partitions into a larder and pantry. At the south-east it is lighted by the lower part of the oriel window which forms the principal feature of the courtyard. To the south is a window of four lights with depressed three-centred heads. At the south-west is a doorway opening on to the stone stairs which lead to the solar. The fireplace in the west wall is now blocked up, the stone chimney-piece having been re-erected in the hall as mentioned above. The stack projects externally, and is surmounted by diagonal chimney shafts of brick, probably of the 16th century. The oriel window which lights both withdrawing room and solar is designed in a style of the greatest elaboration. It abuts on the north upon the south wall of the northern range, and thus has but one return. A base-mould of bold section is continued round the whole oriel, which is divided into two stages by a moulded string-course, and there are small buttresses of two offsets at the eastern angles. In the principal face of the ground stage is a square-headed window of two uncusped ogee lights with pierced quatrefoil spandrels, and in the return is a single light of similar character. Lighting the solar are square-headed windows of a corresponding number of cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in their heads. These have bold labels with spirited headstops, and the whole is surmounted by a plain parapet with a moulded coping.
The stone central newel stairs leading to the solar are contained in a square projection on the west side of this range. The solar itself is lighted by the upper part of the oriel, and to the southward of it by a labelled window, originally of three cinquefoiled ogee lights with vertical tracery within a square head. The tracery has been much restored, and the window has been enlarged by the addition of two southern lights. At the north-west is a small closet, probably a garderobe. In the west wall is a stone fireplace with a wave-moulded square head and jambs, and to the north of it a modern three-light window. At the south-west of the solar, adjoining the upper part of the hall on the west, is a smaller room, which has a stone fireplace with a four-centred head, and is lighted by a plain two-light window in the west wall.
The northern range has been much altered internally, and retains few features of interest. The large room on the west side of the gateway has been curtailed at its eastern end by modern partitions and by the insertion of a staircase. This room seems originally to have communicated with the withdrawing room by a doorway in the south wall immediately to the west of the oriel. The western range is now entered through the small closet at the north-east, which has been transformed into a back entrance. The first floor, formerly occupied by a long room extending the whole length of the range, and covered by an elaborate open-timber roof, communicates with the solar by a doorway at the south-west. The roof, if it still exists, is now concealed by a plaster ceiling.
The room on the east side of the gateway, occupying the remainder of the ground floor of this range, probably served as a porter's lodge. A fireplace in the north wall has been blocked and the original stonework removed to the adjoining room in the east range. A doorway at the south-east leads into this range, the ground floor of which has been completely remodelled and turned into one large room. Here were originally the buttery, larder, and cellars, but all partitions have been removed, a doorway leading from the cellars to the courtyard blocked, and a new fireplace constructed. The doorways leading to the hall, as mentioned above have also been blocked. A modern bay window has been inserted at the south end of the east wall and a second modern window at the opposite end of the same wall. On the first floor is the room known as 'the panelled room,' which contains painted panelling of a crude type, dating from the latter half of the 17th century. An external doorway in the east wall with moulded architraves, now blocked, appears to have originally opened on to a flight of steps leading to the garden. A parallel to this curious arrangement exists at Norgrove Court, near Feckenham, where there are similar blocked doorways in the external wall of the first floor. (fn. 4) There is an attic floor over this range, and on the walls of one of the rooms known as 'Dyke's chamber' is a 17th-century painting in a red pigment of a ship in full sail.
The buildings at the west end of the hall, the ground floor of which is now occupied by the kitchen and offices, contain little original detail, with the exception of the room over the first floor adjoining the solar mentioned above. The eastern range of the disappeared office-court containing the original kitchen has been completely modernized internally, and several modern windows have been inserted The roofs of the whole building are of Stonesfield slate.
Offa, King of the Mercians, in 781 gave land at ICCOMB in exchange for Sapey [Pitchard] to Bishop Heathored, (fn. 5) who gave it to the cathedral monastery of Worcester (fn. 6); Wiles Well is mentioned as a boundary on the north. (fn. 7) Algar son of Leofric, Earl of Mercia, about 1060 and King Harold in 1066 were later credited with making additions to this grant. (fn. 8)
At the time of the Domesday Survey Church Iccomb belonged to the episcopal manor of Blockley with which it was valued, but it was apportioned to the support of the monks. (fn. 9) In 1256 the Prior and convent of Worcester obtained a grant of fee warren in their demesne lands in Iccomb from Henry III. (fn. 10)
The manor continued in the possession of the cathedral monastery until the Dissolution, when it was granted by Henry VIII to the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. (fn. 11) They returned it to him in 1545 in consideration of his acquittance of their obligation to maintain students at Oxford, (fn. 12) but received it back again in 1547 in exchange for a grant to the king of the manors and parsonages of Grimley and Hallow. (fn. 13)
Iccomb was sold in 1650 by the trustees for the sale of church lands to Thomas Marsh, (fn. 14) from whom it passed to Thomas and Stephen Robins, who were still in possession of it in 1659. (fn. 15) It was, however, recovered after the Restoration (fn. 16) by the Dean and Chapter of Worcester, who held it until 1859, when it was transferred to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, (fn. 17) the present lords of the manor.
At the time of the Domesday Survey there were three manors of ICCOMB in Gloucester hire, (fn. 18) two of which were formed into the parish of Westcote before 1444. (fn. 19) The third belonged in the reign of Edward the Confessor to Turstan and in 1086 to Durand de Gloucester; it was held of him by Walter, (fn. 20) probably his nephew, whose granddaughter Margaret de Bohun was overlord in 1166. (fn. 21) In 1331 the manor was held in moieties of the lords of Williamscot in the parish of Cropredy (co. Oxon.) and Southam in the parish of Bishop's Cleeve, (fn. 22) but before 1353 the overlordship had passed to the Earls of Kent, (fn. 23) and it was perhaps on the extinction of this earldom in 1408 that it came to the Crown. It is last mentioned in 1608, when the manor was held in socage of James I as of the manor of Slaughter. (fn. 24)
In 1166 Ellis Cokerel held in Gloucestershire half a knight's fee of the fee of Miles of Gloucester, of which a feoffment had been made in the time of Henry I. (fn. 25) He seems to have been succeeded by another Ellis, who in 1213 gave 20 marks to the king and 12 lampreys to the Bishop of Winchester and Geoffrey Fitz Peter that he might be delivered from prison, where he had been confined owing to 'a certain false judgement made before the King's Justices in Gloucestershire.' (fn. 26) The heir of this Ellis was perhaps William de Iccomb, whose daughter Maud dealt with a virgate of land in the parish in 1221, (fn. 27) but by 1246 the widow of Ellis Cokerel was holding the half fee in Cotes which belonged to the same family, (fn. 28) and she was succeeded very shortly afterwards by Fulk Cokerel. (fn. 29) At the time of Kirkby's Quest Iccomb was held by another Ellis, (fn. 30) who was succeeded before 1303 by Thomas de Iccomb. (fn. 31) Thomas was still living in 1316, (fn. 32) but died before 1330. (fn. 33) His heir, another Ellis, seems to have died very shortly afterwards, (fn. 34) leaving a widow Margaret and perhaps a son Ellis, who died in 1331 and was succeeded by his son and namesake, then eighteen years old. (fn. 35) This Ellis was still living in 1336, (fn. 36) but died before 1346, in which year Roger Blaket and Margaret his wife, probably the sister and heir of Ellis, were seised of the estate. (fn. 37)
Sir John Blaket, who was perhaps the grandson of Roger and Margaret, had succeeded to the estate by 1410. (fn. 38) He married Elizabeth widow of William Wilcote of Wilcote in the parish of North Leigh (co. Oxon.), and was killed in the French wars in the summer of 1430. (fn. 39) He left a son Edmund, who died at Wilcote in 1444. (fn. 40) His heir was his sister Anne, the wife of Ralph Baskerville, a younger son of the lord of the adjoining manor of Combe Baskerville in Westcote. (fn. 41) Anne's daughter and heir Jane married Simon Mylborne (fn. 42); they had eleven daughters and co-heirs, one of whom, Blanche, the wife of James Whitney, succeeded to Iccomb. (fn. 43) Her son Robert Whitney died in 1541 seised of the manor, which he left by his will to his wife Margaret for life. (fn. 44) His son and heir Sir Robert Whitney died about 1565, having settled the manor two years before his death on his second wife Mary, the widow of Sir Thomas Jones, for her life. (fn. 45) Sir James Whitney, the son of Sir Robert by his first wife Sibylla Baskerville, succeeded to the estate after Mary's death and died seised of it in 1587, leaving as his heir his brother Eustace, (fn. 46) who was succeeded in 1607 by his son, another Sir Robert Whitney. (fn. 47) Sir Robert Whitney died before 1653 (fn. 48); his son and heir Richard early in the following year conveyed the manor to William Cope, the father-in-law of Thomas Whitney, Sir Robert's younger son, possibly in order to raise money for the Royalist cause. (fn. 49) Sir Henry Cope made a conveyance of the manor in 1692, (fn. 50) probably for the purpose of settling it upon Elizabeth daughter of William Cope, then the widow of Thomas Whitney and wife of Thomas Geeres. She and her daughter Elizabeth, who married firstly William Gregory and secondly Richard Hopton, (fn. 51) were dealing with the manor in 1707, (fn. 52) and the younger Elizabeth had succeeded before 1725. (fn. 53) The manor was divided after the death of this Elizabeth between her sons William Gregory and Edward Cope Hopton. (fn. 54) The moiety belonging to Gregory descended to John Stackhouse, who held it in 1807, (fn. 55) and subsequently sold it to Henry Stokes, of whom it was purchased by William Cambray, (fn. 56) while Hopton's moiety was inherited by his son Richard Cope Hopton, who held it in 1807, (fn. 57) and left it at his death to his cousin the Rev. John Parsons, grandson of Deborah the sister of Edward Cope Hopton, (fn. 58) who, as John Hopton, was seised of it in 1819. (fn. 59) Both moieties were apparently bought before 1883 by Mr. Hambidge, (fn. 60) who sold them before 1890 to Dr. Hayward of Stow-onthe-Wold. Mr. George Simpson Hayward is now lord of the manor.
The church of ST. MARY THE VIRGIN consists of a chancel measuring internally 28½ ft. by 15½ ft., a nave 38½ ft. by 19½ ft., a western tower 7½ ft. by 8¼ ft., a south transept 16½ ft. by 12½ ft., and a south porch. The nave and chancel are part of one design and were set out at the end of the 12th century, the nave being finished first and the chancel following early in the 13th century. The south transept was added immediately on the completion of the chancel, but forms no part of the original design. In the 14th century a west tower was built, but of this no trace remains except the door from the nave. The transept was completely rebuilt as a chapel for the Blaket family in the middle of the following century, and the tower was rebuilt in the 17th century.
In the east wall is a triplet of 13th-century lancets, with shafted internal jambs and elaborately moulded rear arches. The shafts are detached and have moulded circular capitals and bases and an annulet at half their height. Externally the windows have a common label and the verge of the gable is decorated with dog-tooth ornament. There are also three single lancet windows on either side of the chancel with rear arch ribs supported upon carved corbels of varying designs. The pointed chancel arch of late 12th-century date is of two chamfered orders with square pilasters to the responds and square capitals. In the south wall is a 13th-century priest's door, and further east a double trefoil-headed niche with a piscina drain in the eastern compartment. Previous to the restoration of 1870 there appears to have been a passage from the chancel to the south transept through the rood staircase, but this is now blocked up.
In the north wall of the nave are two 17th-century square-headed two-light windows and affixed to the jamb of the eastern one is a plain iron hour-glass stand with a modern glass. West of these is a blocked north door of 12th-century date with a round head and plain chamfered capitals to its external jambs. South of the chancel arch are the remains of a doorway which must have opened on to the roodloft, and there are traces of the stair, entered originally from the south transept. The arch opening from the nave into the south transept is of mid-13th-century date and of two moulded orders. The jambs continue the mouldings, the rolls becoming shafts with circular bell capitals and moulded bases. West of the transept arch is a small opening to a low curved passage leading to the south transept, and following on this is the early 13th-century south door, which has shafted jambs and a moulded two-centred head of two orders. The only window in this wall of the nave is a 17th-century insertion of two square-headed lights. The door to the western tower is an excellent example of early 14th-century work and has a two-centred head of two moulded orders.
Of the original south transept, built in the middle of the 13th century, only the arch and the west window now remain, but the numerous fragments of this date discovered imbedded in the walls (fn. 61) at a recent restoration showed the original design to have been similar to that of the chancel. The character was, however, wholly altered at the 15th-century rebuilding. Across the north-east corner is the blocked entrance to the rood stairs. The east window of the transept, of mid-15th-century date, is of two lights under a square head. To the north of it are the remains of a blocked-up image niche and to the south a plain piscina. (fn. 62) The two-light south window is of the same date, and has a four-centred head; beneath it is a niche with a moulded and cusped four-centred head lighted at the back by a small opening. Inserted in this is a life-size, full-length effigy of a man in 15th-century armour, his head resting on a helm and his feet on a hound. The slab rests upon a plinth ornamented in front with seven cinquefoil-headed panels. In the centre panel is a representation of the Trinity, with the figures of a man and his wife in the two panels on either side; these again are flanked by angels bearing shields, while the two outer panels contain figures of St. Agnes and St. Michael. Two panels on the return have figures of angels with shields, for the plinth and slab project from the niche, for which they were evidently not originally intended, though approximately of the same date. A modern brass marks this as the tomb of Sir John Blaket, lord of the Gloucestershire manor of Iccomb, died 1431. (fn. 63) There is one window in the west wall, a single lancet light of 13th-century date, and at the north-west angle is the opening of the passage to the nave. The south porch is largely modern; there is, however, a small opening in the west wall, the two lights being separated by a pair of plain shafts in which there are a number of ancient stones reset.
The 17th-century west tower is three stages high; the west window is of two square-headed lights under a square label and at the south-west angle is a staircase to the belfry. The octagonal font, which is of late 15th-century date, has quatrefoil panelling on the faces of the bowl and trefoil-headed panels on the stem.
The tower contains a peal of tubular bells.
The plate includes a cup of 1616 inscribed 'Icomb d.d. t.i. Rectr. 1758,' a paten of 1713 with the same inscription, a modern plated flagon, two glass flagons and two almsdishes, one pewter and one brass.
The registers before 1812 are as follows: (i) (fn. 64) baptisms 1545 to 1789, burials 1602 to 1788, marriages 1563 to 1753, with occasional gaps; (ii) a marriage book 1754 to 1812; (iii) baptisms and burials 1788 to 1812.
There was a church at Iccomb before 1240, at which time it was free from the jurisdiction of the archdeacon and dean. (fn. 65) The patronage belonged in the 13th century to the Prior and convent of Worcester, (fn. 66) but they were not always able to exercise it; in 1285, for instance, their nominee was not instituted because of a collation in the Roman Court on the death of Nicholas Chilbolton there. (fn. 67) Whether Nicholas himself had been presented by the prior and convent does not appear, but he seems to have been living for some time in Rome. (fn. 68) The episcopal register of 1283 contains a note to the effect that he had 'three churches in this diocese and a fourth in Bath and Wells, two of which he received after the Council, (fn. 69) and is not yet promoted to priest's orders, but went without the leave of his diocesan to the court of Rome: where he still remains.' (fn. 70)
The advowson continued in the possession of the prior and convent until the Dissolution, when it was granted by Henry VIII to the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. (fn. 71) When the manor was sold to Thomas Marsh by the trustees for the sale of church lands the advowson and tithes were reserved. (fn. 72) Possibly they were subsequently sold to the Whitneys, owners at that time of the Gloucestershire manor of Iccomb (q.v.). who seem to have dealt with the advowson in 1653. (fn. 73)
The right of presentation to the living continued to be mentioned in deeds relating to the Gloucestershire manor at least as late as 1805, (fn. 74) but it had in reality been restored in 1660 to the Dean and Chapter of Worcester, (fn. 75) who are the present patrons. (fn. 76)
A messuage and half a virgate of land in Iccomb were assigned in 1260 by Gilbert of Woodford and Emma his wife for the maintenance of a chaplain to celebrate to the honour of the Virgin Mary in the church for their souls and the souls of the ancestors and heirs of Emma. (fn. 77) In 1343 the chantry chaplain was Elias Walters, a somewhat disorderly person who thought fit to take up arms in the interest of his kinsman Robert Walters, a Papal nominee to the living of Little Compton. (fn. 78) To this rectory Philip de Alcester had already been presented by the king, (fn. 79) but the two Walters, with other clerks from the neighbourhood, broke into the house and maintained themselves there for ten days. (fn. 80) They are further said to have plotted, after Philip had been put in possession, 'to kill him or do him such other irrevocable injury as they could'; an order was therefore given for their arrest. (fn. 81) Elias was taken in June 1347 (fn. 82) and Robert in August of the following year. (fn. 83) They seem to have agreed to pay compensation to Philip (fn. 84); but it may be doubted whether they left him undisturbed in his rectory. His successor, John Paty, resigned the living in December 1350, whereupon the king at last presented Robert to the coveted post which had been his by Papal provision eight years earlier. (fn. 85)
The chantry, which was of the clear yearly value of £6, (fn. 86) was dissolved in the time of Edward VI, (fn. 87) after which the rents and profits were taken by Robert Whitney, lord of the Gloucestershire manor of Iccomb (q.v.), and his successors Robert and William, (fn. 88) until 1568, when an inquiry was made into their rights. (fn. 89) Queen Elizabeth subsequently granted leases of the chantry lands to Richard Barnerd, (fn. 90) Richard Brian (fn. 91) and John Lee successively, (fn. 92) but William Whitney was in possession of the estate in 1598. (fn. 93) It is possible that he afterwards came to an agreement with John Sotherton, who obtained a grant in fee from the Crown in 1600, (fn. 94) but the history of the chantry lands after this date is obscure.
In the 13th century the Prior and convent of Worcester claimed that there was a charge of 3 marks a year from Iccomb Church payable to the almoner of Worcester Priory for the use of poor pilgrims. (fn. 95) Richard de Sycham, rector of Iccomb, neglected to make this payment, and in 1292 the almoner of the cathedral monastery appealed to the bishop, (fn. 96) who decided the matter in favour of the priory in accordance with a charter given by his predecessor Bishop Walter Cantilupe. (fn. 97)
The charity of William Cope, founded by deed poll 15 January 1690. A yearly sum of £10 is, under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 21 June 1889, for the administration of the parochial charities of Stow-on-the-Wold, co. Gloucester, paid to the minister of Iccomb.
A yearly sum of £5 is also received from the trustees of the same charities for apprenticing poor boys or girls of this parish, or, failing such, the same to be applied in prizes or rewards to children attending a public elementary school.
Shepham's Educational Charity is endowed with a sum of £141 16s. 2d. consols, representing the proceeds of the sale of schoolhouse and buildings, and £334 South Eastern Railway 4 per cent. stock, arising from the redemption of an annuity of £13 6s. 8d.
The sums of stock are held by the official trustees, producing £16 17s. 10d. yearly, which, under the scheme above referred to, is applicable in exhibitions for children of Stow-on-the-Wold and Iccomb attending a public elementary school.
In or about 1829 the Dean and Chapter of Worcester gave £50 towards the repair of the parish church. The gift was invested in 1867 in £56 9s. 10d. consols with the official trustees, producing £1 8s. yearly.
In 1858 Richard Phillips, by his will proved at Oxford 13 October, bequeathed £108 16s. 10d. consols, the annual dividends, amounting to £2 14s. 4d., to be distributed at Christmas in coals to the poor.
The stock is held by the official trustees, who also hold a sum of £113 11s. 3d. consols, known as the Iccomb Homes of Rest Fund, producing £2 16s. 8d. yearly, which by a scheme of 31 May 1904 is also applied in supplying coal to the poor, so long as the funds available are insufficient to provide a home of rest.
The two charities are administered together, the coal being distributed to about forty recipients.