A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 3, Ouse and Derwent Wapentake, and Part of Harthill Wapentake. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
The village of Barlby, probably an Anglian settlement, lies some 3 miles north-west of Hemingbrough, close to the river Ouse and on the edge of the higher ground which occupies the northern half of the township. Southwards more low-lying ground stretches as far as the Ouse and includes a large promontory formed by two sudden bends in the river. This promontory formerly stretched even further to the west, ending in land known as the Holmes lying within a meander of the river. It was perhaps in the early Middle Ages that the Ouse cut a new course across the neck of the Holmes, and in 1883 116 a. there were transferred for civil purposes to Selby (Yorks. W.R.). (fn. 1) In the 20th century residential and industrial development alongside the river in Barlby have created a virtual suburb to the town of Selby. Until 1883 Barlby township comprised 1,482 a. (fn. 2)
The higher ground in the township reaches little more than 25 ft. above sea-level. The alluvium of the lower ground occupies the southern part of the township, together with a narrow strip beside the Ouse on the west, widening in the north-west beyond another sharp bend in the river. The name Turnhead, recorded from the 14th century onwards, refers to the bend and to the promontory formed by it on the opposite bank. (fn. 3) Away from the river the township boundary partly follows drainage dikes on the lower ground. The small open fields of the township lay mainly on the higher ground but also extended to the south of the village; in the north Barlby common adjoined similar areas in Riccall and Osgodby. Common meadows and early inclosures occupied the low ground, including the Angrams near the river beyond Turnhead. The open fields and meadows were inclosed in 1846 and the common in 1858.
Flooding of the low ground was a problem from the Middle Ages onwards. (fn. 4) Several sluices or cloughs still discharge large quantities of water into the river, among them Angram clough which was rebuilt about 1858, when it was said to take water from 896 a. in Barlby and Riccall. (fn. 5)
Barlby village lies at the junction of roads leading northwards to Riccall and eventually York, southwards to Selby, and eastwards to Hemingbrough. From Turnhead another road leads eastwards towards Market Weighton, and at the inclosure of the common a road was set out running towards Skipwith, though this has been closed by the construction of Riccall airfield. (fn. 6) A ferry over the Ouse to Selby, belonging to the abbey there, was mentioned as early as 1260. (fn. 7) It was replaced by a wooden toll bridge in 1792, and in the following year the Selby to Market Weighton road was turnpiked. (fn. 8) About ¾ mile of the road approaching the bridge was realigned when the Selby-Hull railway line was constructed. (fn. 9) The toll bridge, still of timber, was rebuilt in 1969. (fn. 10) For a time in the 19th century there was a ferry for foot passengers about ½ mile east of the toll bridge. (fn. 11) In the 20th century several alterations have been made in the township to the trunk roads from Selby to York and Hull, notably the bypassing of Barlby village by the Hull road in the late 1920s (fn. 12) and of the Market Weighton junction on the York road near Turnhead soon after. (fn. 13) The railway line from Selby to Hull, passing through Barlby, was opened in 1840 with a lifting bridge over the Ouse not far from the road bridge; it was replaced in 1891 by a swing bridge. (fn. 14) The line to Market Weighton, opened in 1848, branches from the Hull line in Barlby, and the Selby-York line, opened in 1871, passes through the township. (fn. 15) The Market Weighton line was closed in 1965. (fn. 16)
Most of the older houses in Barlby village lie along the Riccall road but the church stands back from it and is approached by narrow lanes. There are a few 18th-century houses, including a farm-house close to the church and a long brick house further north where the vicar once lived. (fn. 17) The largest early-19th-century houses are the manor-house (fn. 18) and the Grove, the latter a stuccoed villa on the Riccall road with extensive outbuildings, including a dovecot. The former pinfold still stands near the manor-house. Much building has taken place in the 20th century, both before and after the Second World War, especially to the east and north of the village. At the north end there are more than 80 council houses. The chief outlying farm-house is Turnhead Lodge, close beside the Ouse.
The southern part of the township, towards Selby, was known as Selby Water Houses in the Middle Ages (fn. 19) and more often as Barlby Bank or New Barlby in later times. The name Bank Houses occurs in 1675. (fn. 20) The buildings there included the still existing Bank Farm; others were added following the construction of the toll bridge and railway line. By 1841 there were three terraces of cottages facing the river near the bridges; (fn. 21) they had been demolished by 1973. More extensive development began in the late 19th century and continued apace in the twentieth. For about a mile from the toll bridge the main road is now lined with houses and mills. (fn. 22) The first 'village estate' of workers' housing was built by the Olympia Oil and Cake Co. soon after 1910, and by 1938 there were about 350 houses in such estates. (fn. 23) Other factories lie beside the river east of the bridges, together with the isolated Cherry Orchard Farm. Near the railway line from Selby to Market Weighton is a former powder magazine, built by the War Department in 1889. (fn. 24)
There were between one and three licensed alehouses in Barlby in the later 19th century. (fn. 25) In 1823 the inns were known as the Plough and the Bay Horse, but by 1826 the latter had been replaced by the Boot and Shoe, (fn. 26) which in turn had been replaced by the New Inn by 1872. (fn. 27) The Plough and the New Inn still existed in the old village in 1973. The only inn at Barlby Bank is the Olympia Hotel, opened by 1921; (fn. 28) it takes its name from the Olympia Mills and its sign shows seed-crushing machinery.
In 1379 there were 96 poll-tax payers at Barlby. (fn. 29) Fifty-four households were included in the hearthtax return in 1672, twelve of them exempt. Of those chargeable 17 had only one hearth each, 19 had 2, 4 had 3–5, and 2 had eleven. (fn. 30) The population fluctuated in the 19th century but increased from 241 in 1801 to a maximum of 561 in 1901. (fn. 31) By 1911 it stood at 792 but during the next decade it rose sharply to 2,593; it was still only 2,627 in 1931. Barlby and Osgodby together had 3,329 inhabitants in 1951, but the number then decreased to 3,022 in 1971. (fn. 32)
MANOR AND OTHER ESTATES.
In 1086 the bishop of Durham had 2 carucates in Barlby, one of which was soke of Howden manor. (fn. 33) The bishop's overlordship was still mentioned in 1580. (fn. 34)
The demesne lord of BARLBY manor in the mid 12th century was Gilbert of Barlby, holding 2 carucates of the bishop. (fn. 35) He was succeeded by his son William de Aton. Another William held it in 1284, and the heirs of Gilbert de Aton in 1302; it subsequently passed to another Gilbert (d. 1324) and to his son William (d. 1389). (fn. 36) William's heirs were his daughters Anastasia, who married Edward St. John, Catherine, who married Ralph Eure, and Elizabeth, who married first William Place and secondly Sir John Conyers. (fn. 37) The descent of Elizabeth's share has not been traced. Anastasia's daughter Margaret married Thomas Broomfleet, and their granddaughter married John, Lord Clifford. (fn. 38) The Cliffords held a share of the manor until 1553, when Henry Clifford, earl of Cumberland, sold it to Sir William Babthorpe. (fn. 39) In 1602 Ralph Babthorpe secured Catherine Aton's share from Ralph, Lord Eure, (fn. 40) and the Babthorpes probably then owned the whole manor.
Barlby was sold by another Sir William Babthorpe to Richard Bowes in 1621, (fn. 41) and c. 1665 the Bowes family conveyed it to James Strangeways (d. 1670). It apparently passed like Hagthorpe from Thomas Strangeways (d. 1702) to his son Thomas (later Thomas Robinson), and in 1707 it was sold to John Burdett. (fn. 42) The manor subsequently descended like Osgodby to Riley Briggs, who had only 16 a. in Barlby at his death in 1913. (fn. 43)
The medieval manor-house at Barlby, probably standing on a moated site later called the Island, apparently passed to the Lodge family in the early 16th century. In 1672 it had 11 hearths. (fn. 44) It was held by the Lodges until the death in 1717 of Ralph Lodge, who was succeeded by his sisters Eleanor Spofforth and Elizabeth Lacy. (fn. 45) In 1727 the Spofforths and Lacys conveyed the manor-house to John Denton, together with the adjoining 'new house', a garden called the Island, 'encompassed with a box hedge and a moat', and 100 a. of land. (fn. 46) The estate was sold by William Denton to Isaac Nurse in 1766, and by G. W. Nurse to John and Joseph Blanshard in 1785. (fn. 47) Susanna, Joseph's daughter, who married Joseph Stringer, is said to have rebuilt the house c. 1820. (fn. 48) The Stringers kept the estate until the death of J. B. Stringer in 1919, and his devisees sold the Hall and 12 a. the following year to J. W. R. Parker and J. F. Burn-Murdoch. They promptly conveyed it to the Selby Warehousing and Transport Co. Ltd. (fn. 49) It was sold in 1940 to the Olympia Oil and Cake Co. Ltd. and in 1959 to P. B. Flohil. (fn. 50) The early-19th-century red-brick house has a slated roof and a pediment over the centre of the entrance front.
The largest of the freehold estates in the township in the early 19th century was probably the Robinsons'. (fn. 51) After Mary Robinson's death in 1839 it was held in trust by her brother William's daughter Mary Carr (d. 1871). From her the trusteeship passed to her daughters Mary, wife of T. G. Parker, and Marian, wife of the Revd. J. M. Burn Murdoch. (fn. 52) The estate still contained 386 a. in Barlby in 1905 (fn. 53) but subsequently it was gradually split up and sold.
In 1086 another carucate of land in Barlby was held by Ralph Paynel, having previously belonged to Merleswain. (fn. 54) Soon afterwards Paynel gave it to Holy Trinity priory, York, which he founded as a cell of Marmoutier abbey (Bas-Rhin). (fn. 55) The gift was confirmed on several occasions, the last in 1464. (fn. 56) The subsequent descent of the estate has not been traced.
Several small grants in Barlby were made by the Atons and others to Selby abbey. (fn. 57) After the Dissolution, however, grants of former abbey property in Barlby comprised free rents rather than land. Thus rents totalling over £5 were granted in 1558. (fn. 58) The rents apparently derived from land at Barlby Bank, close to Selby, which eventually passed, like Skipwith manor, (fn. 59) to Banastre Walton (d. 1784); his widow Jane sold 169 a. at Barlby Bank to Robert, Lord Petre, in 1785. (fn. 60) Laura M. Petre sold it, comprising 202 a., to Thomas Ashworth (d. 1870) in 1851. (fn. 61) Ashworth's trustees held it until 1913, when 177 a. were conveyed to the Selby Warehousing and Transport Co. Ltd. (fn. 62) In 1940 much of the estate was sold to the Olympia Oil and Cake Co. Ltd., (fn. 63) and most of it still belonged to British Oil and Cake Mills Ltd. in 1973.
Most of the rectorial tithes of Barlby descended, like those of Hemingbrough township, with Hemingbrough manor. (fn. 64) They were worth £55 in 1650 (fn. 65) and were commuted in 1841 for £367 payable to Wilson's devisees, Tweedy and Smith. (fn. 66) The tithes of pigs and poultry, however, descended with Babthorpe manor. (fn. 67) Together with those of Osgodby and Cliffe with Lund they were worth £3 in 1650 and those in Barlby were commuted in 1841 for £2 payable to C. T. Heathcote. (fn. 68)
In 1086 there was land for ½ plough at Barlby, then said to be waste, together with 5 a. of meadow, and pasturable woodland measuring four furlongs by two. (fn. 69) Pasture for pigs in the wood was mentioned in the 13th century. At the same period other land was being brought into cultivation and the lower ground was being drained. There were references to open-field parcels in 'utfeld', in Barlby Waterhouses, and on the bank of the Ouse; an assart was mentioned; and named dikes included 'Brerflet', 'Rigdik', and Newdike. Meadow lay in Angram and in the Holmes, and c. 1300 mention was made of 40 a. of marsh and alder wood. (fn. 70) In the late 13th century rights in reclaimed land in the township were disputed between the Atons, as lords of the manor, and Selby abbey. (fn. 71)
By the 17th century open-field land was recorded as lying in several named 'fields': Bank field, High field, and the Outfield were all mentioned. (fn. 72) Parts of those fields were apparently being inclosed, however, about that time. A close in High field was described as 'lately inclosed' in 1632; closes 'formerly called Bank field' were mentioned in 1658; and New close in the Outfield was referred to in 1647. (fn. 73) Other assarted land was held in severalty, including Pippin and Wheat Riddings, and various closes in the carrs. (fn. 74) Part of the carrs had still been used in common in 1523, when bequests were made of horses running there. (fn. 75) There was meadow in 'Breenfleet', and the Outfield ings were mentioned. (fn. 76) Little is known of the tenants and their holdings, but in 1616 land in the township was conveyed by the Babthorpes, lords of the manor, to trustees so that the tenants might buy the freehold of their lands. (fn. 77)
More names of open-field areas may be identified in the 18th century: Morcar, High, Chapel, and Out fields, and High North croft, for example. (fn. 78) The fragmented character of the open fields and meadows is revealed by the tithe award map of 1841, (fn. 79) and when they were inclosed in 1846, under the general Inclosure Act of 1836, (fn. 80) there were a dozen areas to be dealt with comprising only 216 a. all told. Allotments were made from the An grams, including 'Beenfleet' (totalling 57 a.), High field (50 a.), Barley Croft field (23 a.), Ing Roods field (16 a.), Long Moor carr (16 a.), Newland field (14 a.), Short Moor carr (11 a.), Fadeland field (9 a.), North Croft field (8 a.), Turnhead field (5 a.), and Scotch Croft field (3 a.). There were 25 allotments of under 10 a. each, 5 of 10–39 a., and one of over 40 a.
The tithable land in 1841 had consisted of 896 a. of arable, 240 a. of meadow or pasture, 80 a. of common, and 20 a. of woodland. (fn. 81) The common, mainly at the northern end of the township, remained until 1858, when it was inclosed under the general Inclosure Act of 1845. (fn. 82) A small area of common south of the village included Carr hill, near Barlby Bank. Allotments totalling 73 a. were made in lieu of 43 common rights. Nineteen people received under 10 a. each and the lord of the manor 14 a.
Until the early 20th century there were usually 12–15 farmers in Barlby, (fn. 83) only 5 of them having as many as 100–200 a. in 1851. (fn. 84) After the First World War, partly as a result of the increased use of land for industry, the number of farmers fell to half a-dozen, together with a few market-gardeners. Two of the farms were of 150 a. or more in the 1920s and 1930s. (fn. 85) The acreage of arable land in 1905 was 861 and of meadow and pasture 350. (fn. 86) The predominance of arable farming has subsequently increased. (fn. 87)
From the Middle Ages onwards the Ouse at Barlby supported a fishery, (fn. 88) and there was doubtless some river traffic from the village. In 1341, for example, it was reported that wool was put aboard a ship at Turnhead to be sent to Hull. (fn. 89) A windmill was recorded in the 17th century (fn. 90) and there was a brickmaker in 1823, (fn. 91) but more diversified employment followed the development of Barlby Bank.
By the mid 19th century there were several agricultural and timber merchants, a few mariners, some railway and toll-bridge employees, and a flax spinner at Barlby Bank. (fn. 92) It was not until soon after 1900, however, that larger industrial firms became established there, mostly occupying land on either side of the Selby-Barlby road with frontages to the Ouse and the railway. Dent and Co., tar distillers, moved in c. 1905 and remained until 1957. (fn. 93) W. L. Kirby Ltd., steam flour millers, arrived in 1905 and their Imperial Mills were taken over by Joseph Rank Ltd. in 1967. (fn. 94) The Olympia Oil and Cake Co. Ltd. acquired sites in 1909–10; their buildings, which later dominated the road and river frontages, have been in the ownership of British Oil and Cake Mills Ltd. since 1952. (fn. 95) Fletcher's Sauce Co. Ltd. was established at Barlby in 1920 and remained in 1973 as part of Smedley–H.P. Foods Ltd. (fn. 96) The Yorkshire Sugar Co. Ltd., later part of the British Sugar Corporation Ltd., bought 69 a., stretching from the railway to the Ouse, in 1927; its riverside factory lies well away from the Selby–Barlby road. (fn. 97) Other 20th-century firms have included a cooper's, an agricultural marketing and supply company, and an engineer's.
No manorial records and no parochial records before 1835 are known. Barlby joined the Selby poor-law union in 1837, (fn. 98) and the site of four recently-demolished poorhouses was sold by the union in 1867. (fn. 99) Barlby became part of Riccall rural district in 1894, Derwent rural district in 1935, (fn. 100) and the Selby district of North Yorkshire in 1974.
A chapel dependent upon Hemingbrough church had existed at Barlby for some time before 1482, when the archbishop authorized services to be held there for three years in the customary way. (fn. 101) It was recommended in 1650 that Barlby, together with Osgodby, was fit to become a separate parish. (fn. 102) It eventually acquired parochial functions in the 18th century and was regarded as a perpetual curacy (fn. 103) until the late 19th century, when it became known as a vicarage. (fn. 104) By special arrangement New Barlby was served by the vicar of Selby after 1912, and in 1929 it and the Holmes were transferred to Selby for ecclesiastical purposes. (fn. 105) The advowson has always belonged to the vicar of Hemingbrough. (fn. 106)
The curate's income in 1716 comprised £4 contributed by the inhabitants and 10s. bequeathed by John Waud for a sermon; in 1727 it amounted to £16 from the town stock. (fn. 107) The income was augmented by £200 from Queen Anne's Bounty in 1726 (fn. 108) to meet a benefaction of that amount given by John Vickers and Thomas Dalby. (fn. 109) Further augmentations of £200 Bounty money were received in 1759, 1786, and 1809. (fn. 110) The average net income in 1829– 31 was £65. (fn. 111) Barlby was endowed from the Common Fund with £500 in 1863. (fn. 112) The net value of the living was £131 in 1884 and £197 in 1914. (fn. 113)
In 1736 Bounty money was used to buy 44 a. of glebe land in Babthorpe (fn. 114) and by 1743 14 a. had been acquired in Newhay. By 1770 6½ a. had been bought in Barlby, and in 1810 5 a. were bought in East Cottingwith. The total amount of glebe was put at 76½ a. in 1865, (fn. 115) and it still belonged to the vicarage in 1973. (fn. 116) In the late 19th century the vicar lived in a house on the Riccall road, (fn. 117) but there was no house belonging to the living until c. 1895, when the present Vicarage was built to the designs of C. H. Fowler. (fn. 118)
William Williamson, curate from 1625, was inhibited from preaching in 1632, (fn. 119) and subsequently Thomas Lecke, curate, was ejected. (fn. 120) In 1716 Thomas Froggott, vicar of Ricall, was curate, (fn. 121) and two vicars of Hemingbrough, Marmaduke Teasdale and William Potter the younger, both held Barlby as well later in the century. Robert Potter, curate 1761–8, was also vicar of Stillingfleet, and several 19th-century incumbents also held and resided upon other livings. (fn. 122) An assistant curate was employed during the incumbency of Thomas Braim (1812–25), (fn. 123) again in 1835, (fn. 124) and probably on other occasions, too.
One service was held each Sunday in 1743 and 1764. (fn. 125) There was still only one weekly service in 1851 (fn. 126) but two by 1865, and thereafter communion was celebrated about six times a year, with 12–20 communicants. By 1914 there was monthly communion. (fn. 127) There were three services each Sunday in 1973.
The present brick church of ALL SAINTS (fn. 128) consists of chancel with north vestry, nave, and west porch. When rebuilt in 1779–80 to replace the ruinous earlier chapel it comprised a simple rectangular building with an apsidal east end and a small octagonal bellcot. (fn. 129) Two small projections containing pews were later added to the north side, one about 1844 for the use of G. P. Dawson of Osgodby Hall and the other later for Robert Hubie, (fn. 130) but these were removed during the restoration of 1895. The vestry, also on the north side, was rebuilt in 1866. (fn. 131) A gallery across the west end of the church was built by the Hubie family in 1811. (fn. 132)
The church was enlarged and restored in 1895 (fn. 133) to the designs of C. H. Fowler. (fn. 134) Besides the removal of the projections and the bricking up of the arches leading into them, a chancel, vestry, and west porch were added, all in a style matching that of the earlier work. The gallery was removed and the interior refitted.
There is one bell, dated 1704 and made by Samuel Smith of York. (fn. 135) The plate comprises silver chalice and paten, made in 1894, and pewter flagon. (fn. 136) The first known burial at Barlby was that of John Vickers in 1727 (fn. 137) but registers of baptisms and burials do not begin until 1780. (fn. 138) The church was licensed for marriages in 1853. (fn. 139)
The churchyard was enlarged in 1872, (fn. 140) 1923–4, and 1943. (fn. 141)
A house in Barlby was registered for worship by Independents in 1772, (fn. 142) and other houses were registered by dissenters in 1818, 1822, and 1826. (fn. 143) The Wesleyan Methodists were said in 1851 to meet in a granary in summer and two houses in winter, (fn. 144) but soon afterwards they built a chapel, registered in 1857. (fn. 145) The chapel, standing on the Osgodby road, was replaced by a new one in 1961 (fn. 146) and the old building was demolished in 1972. (fn. 147) The new chapel, on the same road midway between Barlby and Osgodby villages, was still in use in 1973.
A grammar-school teacher was licensed at Barlby in 1585 and 1673. (fn. 148) There were two schools there in the early 19th century. One of them had 6 children in 1819 and 20 in 1835, and was said to have an endowment of 1 a. of land in the former year and £2 a year in the latter. The second school, entirely supported by parents' contributions, had about 40 and 25 pupils respectively in those years. (fn. 149) The endowment was that of Ralph Lodge, devised by will proved in 1661 for the education of poor children in the township. (fn. 150) The first known school-house was built in 1845, (fn. 151) and in 1871 35 children attended the National school. (fn. 152) It was rebuilt on a new site, east of the church, in 1875 and the average attendance was 27 the following year, when its income included 8s. 6d. from the endowment. (fn. 153) The school received an annual government grant by 1877–8. (fn. 154) There was also a Wesleyan day school in 1871, with 38 in attendance. (fn. 155) Mary Robinson (d. 1839) bequeathed £100 for the poor of Barlby, and her executors used it for the benefit of the National school; £105 stock was bought with it in 1877. Mary Hubie, by will dated 1836, gave £100 stock for the school, but the principal expired in 1859. (fn. 156)
A temporary building for infants was put up next to the school, apparently in 1909, (fn. 157) but in 1913 a new school was opened on the Selby road, just south of the village, with accommodation for 268. (fn. 158) The old school was subsequently used as a church hall (fn. 159) and still stood in 1973. The income of Lodge's and Robinson's charities was used for religious education after 1913. (fn. 160) The new school was enlarged in 1914, (fn. 161) when the average attendance rose from about 90 to 158; by 1919 there were 200 in attendance. (fn. 162) Many Barlby children, however, went to school in Selby: in 1920, for example, 270 attended the village school and 251 went to Selby. (fn. 163) A new school was provided for the area adjoining Selby in 1925 and in the same year a new infants' department was opened at the village school. (fn. 164) Attendance at the village school remained at over 200 for some years, falling to 183 in 1938. (fn. 165) Prefabricated buildings were later added there, (fn. 166) and the number on the roll was 186 in September 1973. (fn. 167)
Barlby Bridge school, for the Selby 'suburb', was opened in 1925 with accommodation for 290 pupils. (fn. 168) The attendance was 217 in 1927 and 152 in 1938, (fn. 169) and the number on the roll was 95 in September 1973. (fn. 170)
A secondary school was opened at Barlby, on the Riccall road, in 1960 to serve about ten villages round about. The number on the roll was 458 in September 1972. (fn. 171)
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
Caulem's dole comprised a garth and common right in South Duffield, the rent of which amounted to £1 10s. in 1823. Porritt's dole comprised an acre in Barlby producing £2 8s. rent in 1823; it was sold for £275 c. 1870 and used to buy 5 a. in Cliffe, producing £10 rent in the 1880s. Walker's dole comprised a rent-charge of 10s. from r a. in Barlby. (fn. 172) These three, along with an acre of land given in 1857, were brought together as the United Charities by a Scheme of 1912. The income in 1972 was £31 from £273 stock; nearly £1 each was given to 33 widows. (fn. 173)
Three other small charities have been lost: 3s. 4d. a year from ½ a. of meadow in Barlby, given by Thomas Nelson by will dated 1633; income from ½ a. of meadow there, given by John Lodge by will proved in 1663; and 10s. a year from land in Barlby, given by Thomas Dalby by will dated 1719. (fn. 174)
Mary Robinson (d. 1839) gave £100 to provide for a weekly distribution of bread in Barlby. It was invested in £107 stock in 1868. Mary Hubie, by will proved in 1836, devised £233 stock to repair her family tomb in Barlby churchyard and to provide for a weekly distribution of bread worth 2s. 10d. to poor widows, one of them to be Mary Robinson, attending the church. The income was £7 in the 1880s. (fn. 175) These two charities were later administered as the United Bread Charity. The income in 1973 was £9 from £340 stock, and distribution was no longer made in bread but in cash. (fn. 176)
Robert Weddall, by will proved in 1841, directed his executors to pay £10 a year for the poor of Barlby. After his death £258 was invested for this purpose. (fn. 177) The income in 1973 was about £13. (fn. 178)
Mary Carr, by will proved in 1871, bequeathed £300 to provide coal for the poor of Barlby and South Duffield. It was invested in £323 stock in 1872, and in the 1880s 3/5 of the income was distributed to Barlby. (fn. 179) In 1972 the income was,£5 but none was distributed. (fn. 180)