A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 1. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE WAPENTAKE OF GILLING EAST
containing the parishes of Ainderby Steeple; Barton; Bolton-upon-Swale; Cleasby; East Cowton; Croft; Danby Wiske; Kirkby Wiske; Great Langton; Manfield; Middleton Tyas; Great Smeaton (fn. 1)
The history and descent of this wapentake are given under the account of Richmondshire (q.v.). With few exceptions the boundaries have remained unchanged since the 13th century. Middleton Tyas, Dalton Norris and Forcett were then returned under both Gilling East and Gilling West. Kneeton, afterwards in Gilling East, was given under Gilling West, and the township of Gilmonby, later in Gilling West, was then taken in Gilling East. (fn. 2)