A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Teurinton, Teurinctine (xi cent.); Tyverington (xiii cent.).
The parish of Terrington, with its townships of Wigganthorpe and Ganthorpe, covers 4,681 acres of undulating ground which varies in height between 100 ft. and 360 ft. above ordnance datum. The soil is mixed and the subsoils include Inferior Oolite and Upper, Middle and Lower Lias. The land is largely laid down to grass, but 1,123 acres are under cultivation and 287 acres are woodland. (fn. 1)
The Howardian Hills stretch across the north of the parish, which is all undulating ground, richly wooded, but never rising to more than 400 ft. above ordnance datum. The village of Terrington is built on a ridge; the houses lie for the most part along both sides of a broad street running east and west and communicating with Sheriff Hutton, Welburn and Brandsby.
The church of All Saints lies off the road, east of the village. The Hall, the residence of Mr. T. J. Kinnear, was built as a rectory in 1827. (fn. 2) Anketin Mallory was building a house in Terrington in 1234, when the king gave him six oaks from the forest of Galtres. (fn. 3) The capital messuage of the Luttrells here is mentioned in 1335, when it had a garden and a park appurtenant to it. (fn. 4)
Goodlands Farm is near the hall, with the rectory on the opposite side of the road. A survey (fn. 5) taken of the rectory in 1760 mentions 'one parsonage house, one dove-house, one orchard, one garden, one large court before the house, one little garden, and a little house adjoining beside the gate which goeth into the town now repaired and converted to a school-house.'
In 1760 a considerable portion of the glebe lands lay in the common fields, the rector then holding two 'lands called Bank-lands between Thornum Trod and Lea Hedge,' also two 'lands' in each of the fields known as Bawdy Hill, Wandills, Tenter lands, Lame Hill, Flintons, Thrakills, Cottrills, Cross-beck lands, How Field, Kirk Field, Cotterdales, Middle Broats, Far-Cross Lands near Mowthorpe Hedge and many others which can still be identified. (fn. 6) The common fields were inclosed in 1846–7. (fn. 7)
There is a Wesleyan chapel in this parish.
Wigganthorpe Hall is built on high ground north of Terrington and stands in a well-wooded park.
Stock Lane, a broad, straight road leading southeast from Terrington village, becomes suddenly narrow, and is known as Mowthorpe Lane, ending in a footpath.
Mowthorpe, at the extreme south of Terrington parish, consists of a few scattered farm-houses, known as Mowthorpe Dale, Haslegate Farm and Oak Wood. A steep wooded bank called Mowthorpe Hill forms a semicircle, falling rapidly to the meadows watered by Bulmer Beck. It was probably on this beck that there stood a water-mill in 1250 (fn. 8) that was doubtless the same as the Mowthorpe Mill mentioned in 1288. (fn. 9) In 1303 it was quitclaimed to Giles de Brabant, but is not again mentioned. (fn. 10)
In this neighbourhood, 'between Mowthorpe and Stittenham,' there was a marsh, half of which was conveyed to Sir Anketin Mallory in 1240, as well as common of pasture and turbary. (fn. 11) Mowthorpe Dale Wood lies south of the small village of Ganthorpe, which is just on the outskirts of Castle Howard Park, close to the main road leading from Welburn to Coneysthorpe. Moor Hill lies north of Ganthorpe, and still further north a narrow strip of land between Cum Hag Wood and Terrington Carrs is known as Ganthorpe Moor; this is covered with a network of footpaths and has Freers Bank rising behind.
Among place-names 'Spital Close' is mentioned in 1373 (fn. 12) and 1436 (fn. 13); it seems probable that Spittle Gate, named in 1760 near one of the glebe fields, (fn. 14) is a survival of the same name.
In the time of the Confessor Walteif had held a 'manor' and 3 carucates 6 oxgangs in TERRINGTON and WIGGANTHORPE; this was afterwards granted to the Count of Mortain, and in 1086 was soke of the manor of Sheriff Hutton. (fn. 15) Like that manor it was probably in the hands of Niel Fossard, for it also was held of the Mauleys until 1331. (fn. 16) Under them a lordship was held here as there by the Nevills, which followed the descent of Sheriff Hutton (fn. 17) (q.v.).
The tenancy in fee was held as early as 1202 by the family of Latimer, (fn. 18) for in that year Henry le Latimer quitclaimed to Thomas le Latimer 3 carucates of land here. Thomas was followed by William, whose son William held lands in Terrington in 1260. (fn. 19) William Lord Latimer was holding 4 carucates in 1316, (fn. 20) and the manor of Terrington followed the descent of his manor of Danby (q.v.) until the beginning of the 16th century. Here, as at Liverton (fn. 21) (q.v.), the manor was not held in demesne, and in 1427 Terrington was in the hands of Edmund Darrell. It followed the descent of Sessay (q.v.) until 1752, when it was purchased by Henry fourth Earl of Carlisle, from whom it has descended with Castle Howard. (fn. 22) In 1302 William le Latimer 'the elder' obtained a grant of a market here on Wednesdays and of a fair on the vigil, feast and morrow of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. (fn. 23)
At the time of the Domesday Survey 1½ carucates in Terrington were soke of Count Alan's manor of Foston (fn. 24) (q.v.). Neither of these places, however, became part of the honour of Richmond, and the overlordship of Terrington was held in the 14th century by the Luttrells, (fn. 25) lords of Appleton-leStreet (q.v.).
Before 1229 Anketin Mallory and Sarah his wife were seised of 11 oxgangs in Terrington, (fn. 26) which followed the descent of the manor of Wigganthorpe (q.v.).
In 1086 Berenger de Toni held 2 oxgangs in Terrington, which passed eventually with the chief manor to the Mauleys. (fn. 27)
The third Peter de Mauley confirmed 2 oxgangs to the Prior and convent of Marton, (fn. 28) who in 1333 received a grant of free warren in Terrington. (fn. 29) At the Dissolution the Marton possessions were valued at £4 12s. In 1535 these lands were leased by the prior to John Jackson. (fn. 30) This may be the same land that had passed by 1562 (fn. 31) to Thomas Jackson alias Lascelles, who with his wife Margery (fn. 32) appears to have sold his lands here before his death in 1617. (fn. 33)
There are now several small freehold estates in the parish.
At the time of the Domesday Survey GANTHORPE (Gamelthorpe, xi cent.) was in the hands of the king, who held there a 'manor' and half a carucate, the former tenant having been Gamel. (fn. 34)
At the same time 2½ carucates in Ganthorpe were held by the Count of Mortain as soke of his manor of Sheriff Hutton (fn. 35) (q.v.), the overlordship here as there being afterwards held by the Mauleys. A mesne lordship was held here by the lords of Sheriff Hutton (fn. 36) (q.v.). In 1250 William son of Ralph held lands in Ganthorpe, (fn. 37) which follow the same descent as Henderskelfe (q.v.), and now form part of the Castle Howard estate.
In 1086 the Count of Mortain held 3 carucates in MOWTHORPE (fn. 38) (Muletorp, xi cent.), apparently soke of the 'manor' of Terrington and Wigganthorpe. Here as at Terrington the overlordship passed eventually to the Luttrells. (fn. 39)
In 1240 Anketin Mallory, lord of Wigganthorpe (q.v.), and Sarah his wife were holding 3 carucates in Mowthorpe. (fn. 40)
Following the division of the fee after the death of their son Nicholas Mallory in about 1275, an arrangement was evidently made by which the demesne land in Mowthorpe went to their eldest daughter Margery, wife of Ralph Salvin, (fn. 41) whose son Anketin received a grant of free warren here in 1309. (fn. 42)
Part may have been settled on a younger branch of the family of Mallory, for in 1299 William Mallory held lands in Mowthorpe. (fn. 43) These he quitclaimed in 1303 to Giles de Brabant and Alice his wife, (fn. 44) who some two months later granted 7½ oxgangs, &c., here to Stephen son of Gilbert de Terrington, Alice his wife and Stephen's heirs. (fn. 45) Stephen left a son William de Terrington, parson of Havergate, who gave this manor to Sir Anketin Salvin and Iseult his wife. (fn. 46) In 1317 Sir Anketin obtained a release of all rights in Mowthorpe from John son of Avis de Burdon and his sisters Nicholaa and Katharine. (fn. 47) He died in 1351, leaving a son Nicholas Salvin and a daughter Ellen. (fn. 48) In 1364 Nicholas Salvin granted the manor with all goods and chattels thereon to John de Langton, Mayor of York, and son of Nicholas de Langton of York. (fn. 49) He was followed by a son John, and he by a son of the same name. (fn. 50) In 1405 John Langton was defendant in a suit brought by William Terrington, who claimed the manor as grandson of Ellen daughter of Anketin Salvin. (fn. 51) Judgement was given in favour of John Langton. (fn. 52) In 1407 his bondmen and tenants 'leagued together at the manor and refused their due customs and services.' (fn. 53) John Langton had a son John, who left a daughter Agnes, his sole heir. (fn. 54) She married Sir James Danby and died in 1515, (fn. 55) leaving a son and heir Sir Christopher Danby of Thorpe Perrow. (fn. 56) In 1618–19 Christopher Danby conveyed the manor of Mowthorpe to Sir Robert Monson, (fn. 57) the third surviving son of Sir William Monson, (fn. 58) who in 1635 again conveyed it to Sir William Strickland, Richard Hutton, James Danby and Brian Middleton. (fn. 59)
In 1649 half the manor was in the hands of Dorothy Hutton, widow, (fn. 60) and in 1693 Henry Fairfax and Anne his wife held a half. (fn. 61) Before 1751 it had passed to Mr. Thomas Worsley of Hovingham (fn. 62); it is now part of the Castle Howard estate.
There are three entries in the Domesday Survey referring to WIGGANTHORPE (Wichingastorp, xi cent.; Wykenthorpe, xiii cent.; Wygthorp, xiv cent.). The 'manor' and a carucate were in the hands of the king, the former tenant having been Cnut (fn. 63); the Count of Mortain held 1 carucate (fn. 64) and Berenger de Toni also held another, once Gamel's. (fn. 65) The overlordship passed eventually to the Luttrells. (fn. 66)
In the time of Henry III lands in Wigganthorpe were held by Anketin Mallory, (fn. 67) descending to his son Nicholas, who died before September 1275 seised of 2 marks rent in Wigganthorpe, his heirs being his four sisters (fn. 68) —Margery the wife of Ralph Salvin, Avis the wife of William Burdon, Nicholaa, who married Nicholas de Oglethorpe, and Sarah the wife of William de Glinton or Clenton. (fn. 69) Margery and Ralph Salvin had a son Anketin, who was enfeoffed of all his mother's lands, (fn. 70) and held in Wigganthorpe 1½ carucates in 1316. (fn. 71) This portion followed the descent of the manor of Mowthorpe (q.v.).
In 1289 (fn. 72) Nicholas de Oglethorpe and Nicholaa his wife quitclaimed their part of Wigganthorpe and Terrington to Nicholas de Stapleton, (fn. 73) lord of Stapleton and one of the judges of Edward I (fn. 74); Nicholas was also enfeoffed of the lands belonging to the youngest sister Sarah de Glinton. (fn. 75) Avis de Burdon granted her portion to William Latimer, whose son William granted it to Miles de Stapleton. (fn. 76) He was thus holding three parts of the lands once of Anketin Mallory, and received a grant of free warren in his demesne lands here in 1304. (fn. 77)
This land followed the descent of Stapleton, but was retained by the family after the sale of that manor in 1585. (fn. 78) Jordan Metham was living here in 1615, when his son Jordan was baptized. (fn. 79) Sir Jordan Metham, kt., died in 1642 and was buried in the quire of the parish church. (fn. 80) He was apparently succeeded by his son George, (fn. 81) who in 1654 (fn. 82) conveyed the manor to Stephen Watson and John Micklethwaite. In 1663–4 (fn. 83) Jordan Metham was assessed for a subsidy, and his wife Margaret was fined for recusancy in the same year. After this the family ceased to hold lands in Terrington, their place evidently being taken by the Geldarts. John Geldart was living in Terrington in 1663, (fn. 84) six of his children being christened in the parish church, where he himself was buried in 1677. (fn. 85) His eldest son John, baptized in 1665, (fn. 86) may have died early, for the estate appears to have come into the hands of Robert Geldart his brother, (fn. 87) who was holding the manor of Wigganthorpe with Joseph Geldart in 1701. (fn. 88) The family probably retained its property here as at Whenby (q.v.) for a considerable part of the 18th century. It afterwards passed, apparently by purchase, to William Garforth, the owner in 1857. His son and successor William Francis Garforth died in 1869 and was followed by his son Mr. William Henry Garforth. The estate was sold in 1890 to the Hon. William Henry Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, the present owner. (fn. 89)
The church of ALL SAINTS consists of a chancel 36 ft. by 13¾ ft. with north chapel and vestry, nave 38¾ ft. by 18 ft. with north aisle making the total width 30¾ ft., west tower 12 ft. square, south chapel and south porch. The total length is 90 ft., all measurements being internal.
The earliest remaining work in the church is the western portion of the south nave wall, which may be pre-Conquest and cannot be later than the 11th century. Late in the 12th century the nave was mostly rebuilt with the addition of an aisle on the north side, but there are no indications of the form or size of the early quire. In the 14th century a chapel was built on the south side of the nave and the chancel arch rebuilt. The chancel was reconstructed in the following century with the addition of a large chapel on the north side, and at about the same time the west tower was built, though the tower arch may be somewhat earlier. During this century also a clearstory was added to the nave and windows inserted in the aisle. At some time after the Reformation the south nave chapel was pulled down and its arch built up. The formation of a vestry at the east end of the north chapel is also a later alteration. In 1870 the church was completely restored and the modern alterations include the erection of a south porch and nave aisle on the site of the earlier chapel and the complete reroofing of the structure.
The chancel is of 15th-century date and has a three-light east window with modern tracery. The north wall is also largely modern, the two arches opening into the chapel replacing a single arch of earlier date at the 1870 restoration. The south wall has two windows of three lights and one of two lights with square heads and a priest's door, all of 15thcentury date. The chancel arch is pointed and apparently of 14th-century date, but is much restored and springs from semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals. The north chapel, of the same width as the nave aisle, from which it opens by a 15th-century arch, is of the same date as the chancel and is lit by two two-light windows in the north wall. The east end has been walled off to form a vestry with a two-light window in the east wall. The two buttresses, one at either end of the north wall, are both original.
The nave has a north arcade of two bays of unequal size with a deep respond at the west end. The late 12th-century arches are semicircular with two plain orders, the eastern and wider one being struck from below the springing line. They rest on a cylindrical pier and half-round responds with octagonal capitals of differing design, that to the western respond being fluted and the other two having a conventional leaf ornament. The aisle wall is of the same date and is unbuttressed, but has had three 15th-century windows inserted, two in the north wall and one at the west end. In the south nave wall is a wide 14th-century arch of two orders formerly opening into a chapel and now into the modern south aisle. It is probable that this was the chapel of St. Mary the Virgin founded by Sir Brian Stapleton. West of this arch the nave wall is of 11th-century date. It is of very rude construction, with patches of herring-bone masonry similar to those existing at Bulmer. It contains one original window, a small deeply-splayed single light placed high up in the wall (the sill is 8½ ft. above the present floor). The external head is cut in a triangular-shaped stone carved with knotwork apparently of pre-Conquest date.
The south door piercing the early wall is entirely modern, as is the adjoining porch. The 15th-century clearstory is blank on the north side, but is pierced on the south by two-light windows.
The 15th-century tower is three stages high with diagonal western buttresses and a vice in the southwest angle. The tower arch may perhaps be somewhat earlier. The three-light west window has been restored, and below it is a small 15th-century door having above it a relieving arch of two stones inclined against each other. The font dates from the 15th century and is octagonal, but the other fittings of the church are modern.
The tower is finished with an embattled parapet with angle and intermediate pinnacles. It contains three bells, the tenor mediaeval and inscribed in Lombardic capitals, '+ ihc orate pro anima Roberti Prioris anno dni mccccmt.' On the waist is a fylfot cross and the initials 't.o.' The date is not quite intelligible. The bell is known traditionally as the Kirkham bell, but as no Robert held that priory during the 15th century it is far more probable that it came from Marton Priory, only a short distance away, of which Robert Cave was prior about 1450. The second bell is inscribed 'Jesus be our speed 1623,' and the treble, cast by Dalton of York in 1758, 'Repent in time.'
During the restoration a small mediaeval sanctus bell was found under the tower and is now kept at the rectory. It bears no inscription, but has four stamps, one a cross with the reed and sponge placed saltirewise behind it, and the others the letter C. The head has a threefold opening.
The plate includes a cup and cover paten (York, 1662) inscribed 'Tirrinton 1663,' two patens (York, 1662), the gift of Sarah widow of the Rev. Robert Hitch, Dean of York, 1680, with an impaled coat of arms, and a large but late plated flagon.
The registers before 1812 have been printed by the Yorkshire Parish Register Society; they are as follows: (i) mixed entries 1600 to 1653; (ii) mixed entries 1653 to 1683; (iii) mixed entries 1682 to 1768, including baptisms at Castle Howard 1746 to 1753; (iv) marriages 1754 to 1812; (v) baptisms and burials 1768 to 1812.
The church must have been appurtenant to the fee of Count Alan in Terrington, for it was in the hands of Anketin Mallory and Sarah his wife in 1246, being then quitclaimed to them by the Archbishop of York. (fn. 90) It followed the descent of the manor of Wigganthorpe (q.v.) and in 1331 Nicholas de Stapleton had three parts of the advowson, (fn. 91) the remaining quarter being held by Anketin Salvin. The Stapleton portion followed (fn. 92) the descent of the manor of Wigganthorpe (q.v.) until 1654, (fn. 93) when George Metham evidently sold the rectory to John Micklethwaite, reserving to his heirs the alternate presentation. In 1682 it was in the gift of a member of the family of Micklethwaite, (fn. 94) probably Elias Micklethwaite, (fn. 95) rector of Terrington; on his death in 1721 it passed to William Banes. (fn. 96) In 1734 it was again in the rector's hands, Leonard Thompson presenting. (fn. 97) The portion held by Anketin Salvin in 1312 followed the descent of the manor of Mowthorpe. (fn. 98) By 1625 (fn. 99) it was all in the hands of Jordan Metham, from whom it passed to George Metham. (fn. 100)
The chantry of St. Mary in the parish church was founded by Sir Brian Stapleton to 'execute divine service in the high quyer.' (fn. 101) The only land appurtenant was the dwelling-house of the incumbent, but a yearly rent of £4 6s. 8d. was paid 'by Stapleton' at the Dissolution. (fn. 102) At this date 'two other prestes,' beside the incumbent, were at the finding of the parsons there. (fn. 103) The rent from 'Saynct Mary landes lying in the feldes there' was devoted to the maintenance of a light in the church. (fn. 104)
There was formerly a chapel at Ganthorpe, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, dependent on the parish church of Terrington. (fn. 105) In the reign of Henry VIII it was described by an inhabitant who had known it for thirty years as 'thakked with straw all over and is distant from the parish church of Terington half a myle.' (fn. 106) He also speaks of four little flats of ground, four lands lying in the several fields of Ganthorpe, and three little 'daills' of meadow lying in the Ings there and a little garth whereon the said chapel standeth, and also a cottage and garth with appurtenances belonging to said chapel called Mawdeleyne chapel, the rent of which was 5s. a year. The parson of Terrington had always taken the profits for saying two masses in the year, one of St. Mary Magdalene, and the other on the Tuesday in Cross Days, but to what use the rent had been put during the last six years was not known. (fn. 107)
This was, no doubt, the land leased in 1560 (fn. 108) by Edward Otbye, rector of Terrington, to Francis Metham, second son of Sir Thomas Metham of Wigganthorpe. Francis died in 1596 (fn. 109) seised of a 'messuage, tenement or chapel called St. Mary Magdalene's chapel,' his heir being his daughter Denise Bulmer, widow. The chapel appears to have fallen into disuse and is not again mentioned.
The following charities are administered under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 4 July 1905, namely:—
The Doles, consisting of certain ancient payments, the origin of which is unknown, amounting in the aggregate to £6 1s. 8d., whereof £2 18s. 11d. is paid out of the Castle Howard estate, £2 by Mr. G. A. Thompson out of the Chapel Field, 13s. 4d. by Mr. Robert Goodwill out of cottages at Terrington, 8s. 2d. by Mr. David Ellerby out of a house and land at Terrington and 1s. 3d. by the rector of Terrington out of Barn Field;
Poor's money, being £55 secured on bond at £5 per cent., which is also paid out of the Castle Howard estate;
The Rev. Charles Hall's memorial charity, deed 31 December 1875, £63 16s. 4d. consols;
The Spital Close Arrears charity, deed 5 April 1884, £100 consols.
The sums of stock are held by the official trustees and the income of the charities, amounting to £12 18s. 4d., is applicable under the scheme for the general benefit of the poor in such manner as the trustees should consider most conducive to the formation of provident habits. In 1906 the income was augmented by a donation and by the church offertory, and £17 10s. was distributed amongst seventeen deserving poor of the parish.
In 1893 Mrs. Marianne Christiana Isabella Worsley by will left £1,020 consols, the income to be applicable for the benefit of the school so long as it should remain a Church of England school.