A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Caitune (xi cent.); Kaitun, Kaiton (xii–xviii cent.).
This parish was in 1831 composed of the townships of Cayton, Deepdale with Killerby and Osgodby. Deepdale and Killerby are now hamlets in the township of Cayton, which was amalgamated with Osgodby by order of the Local Government Board in 1886. The area of the parish is 3,514 acres, of which 1,790 are arable, 1,521 permanent grass and 137 woodland. (fn. 1) The area of the foreshore is 3,509 acres. The subsoil varies between Corallian Beds and Kimmeridge Clay, with Oxford Clay by the coast. The soil is equally various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The height above ordnance datum varies from 100 ft. to 350 ft. The village of Cayton is built along a portion of the Filey and Malton road. The church stands back from the street, which has a 'back lane' running parallel to it on its eastern side. Killerby Old Hall lies at some distance along the road southeast of the village; nearly opposite is Killerby Hall, the residence of Mr. James Cooper; the Grange lies among the fields to the south-east.
Osgodby is a small hamlet lying a short distance inland from Cayton Bay. It consists only of a few farms, two of which divide the buildings of Osgodby Hall, a former residence of the Wyvills. The existing house of early 18th-century date is of no great interest, but adjoining it is the small chapel of St. Leonard, of which only the north and west walls remain. The chapel adjoins the house and has a west window of Renaissance character with a central arched light. Two blocked window openings also remain in the north wall and the east end abuts against the house. Park Hill adjoins the Hall.
The hamlet of High and Middle Deepdale is at the north-west corner of the parish and just beyond the boundary. Burton Riggs commemorates the old hamlet of Burton Dale. (fn. 2) Cayton has a station on the Hull and Scarborough branch of the North Eastern railway. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels at Cayton and a public elementary school was erected in 1877.
The 4 carucates of CAYTON held by Hundegrim and Gospatric as two 'manors' before the Conquest were in 1086 in the hands of the king. (fn. 5)
Roger Bigod Earl of Norfolk was overlord of 2 of the 4 carucates in 1284–5. (fn. 6) The Earls of Albemarle were mesne lords, John de Eston being returned as holding the fee in 1284–5 (fn. 7); with John de Eston's quitclaim of the earldom of Albemarle to the Crown (fn. 8) the overlordship came to an end. William le Latimer became mesne lord of 20 of the 28 carucates of land in Thornton, Cayton, Osgodby and other places which the Earl of Albemarle had formerly held. (fn. 9) He was returned as joint lord of Cayton and Osgodby in 1316, (fn. 10) and his fee here descended with the manor of Danby (fn. 11) until 1428 (fn. 12) or later. In 1509, however, although Osgodby (q.v.) was still held of the honour of Albemarle, Cayton was held directly of the lords of Pickering Castle. (fn. 13)
In 1365 Thomas de St. Quintin and Alice his wife were holding lands in Ebberston, (fn. 14) and in 1417 Sir Thomas St. Quintin was lord of at least part of Cayton (fn. 15); his son Anthony died in 1444, (fn. 16) leaving two sons, Thomas, who died without issue, and Sir William, lord of this fee in 1449. (fn. 17) Sir William was followed by a son John (fn. 18); he left a son of the same name, who died in 1509, leaving a son John St. Quintin, a minor. (fn. 19) William son of this last John died in 1550, (fn. 20) and in the spring of 1563–4 his son Gabriel St. Quintin (fn. 21) conveyed tenements in Cayton and Deepdale to Sir Henry Gate of Seamer. (fn. 22)
Cayton was wrongly coupled with Osgodby (fn. 23) as in the possession of Roger Wyvill in 1619–21, (fn. 24) for in 1607 the manor was conveyed by Robert Knowesley (for himself and his heirs) and Anne his wife, daughter and co-heir of Thomas Pearson, (fn. 25) to Elizabeth Knowesley, widow, (fn. 26) in fee. In the spring of 1620–1 John Dawnay and Elizabeth his wife conveyed it to Ralph Carlyll and Elizabeth his wife and Jane Knowesley, (fn. 27) perhaps in trust. In 1681 it was conveyed with Killerby to Ralph Grange by John Beilby. (fn. 28) Gideon Harvey, junior, conveyed onefourth part of the manors of Cayton and High Deepdale to William Osbaldeston in 1741. (fn. 29) Early in 1756–7 Sarah Currer, spinster, conveyed a similar share to William Osbaldeston. (fn. 30) In 1769 Giles Earle of Beningbrough and Margaret his wife (fn. 31) conveyed one-fourth part of the manor of Cayton and grange or lordship of High Deepdale to Joseph Allen and Thomas Strangwayes, (fn. 32) and in 1769 Johnson Atkinson and Elizabeth his wife granted one-fourth part of the manor of Cayton to Edward Clough and Jonathan Hopwood. (fn. 33) Fountayne Osbaldeston held a moiety before 1803, (fn. 34) and George Osbaldeston was concerned with the manor of [High] Deepdale in 1808, (fn. 35) but in 1807 the manor of Cayton belonged to Miss Judith Hill of Tadcaster Grange, Yorkshire. She was succeeded by her sister Mary, who died unmarried in 1839 and was followed by her niece Elizabeth wife of Archibald Fletcher. On Elizabeth's death in 1855 the manor was divided between her two daughters, Mary wife of Sir John Richardson of Lancrigg in Grasmere and Margaret wife of John Davy, M.D., of Lesketh How, Ambleside. They both sold their shares in 1861 to Edward Sedgfield Donner of Scarborough, solicitor, who was succeeded in 1864 by Edward, his eldest son, the present owner, (fn. 36) created a baronet in 1907.
Rievaulx Abbey in 1428 held 4 carucates in Cayton and Osgodby of the fee formerly belonging to the Earl of Albemarle. (fn. 37)
The Saxon tenant Gospatric was followed at Cayton as at Allerston (q.v.) by his son Ughtred, who gave 2 carucates here to Whitby Abbey in 1087–1109. (fn. 38) Ughtred and his son Torphin de Allerston confirmed this grant; land here was also probably obtained from Durand de Cliff (Cliva). (fn. 39) In 1284–5 the abbey held 1 carucate of the fee of Bigod. (fn. 40)
Whitby Abbey in 1227 confirmed lands in Cayton and the grants of the under-tenants to Rievaulx Abbey, (fn. 41) which acquired the capital messuage and mill. At the Dissolution the abbey received 105s. 10d. rent from the capital messuage in the tenure of Robert Bushell and William Kare and 20s. from Cliff Mill (fn. 42) (Whitecliff Mill, xii cent.). Tenements in Cayton were subject to 'Tenmantale' (Themantel) in the 12th century. (fn. 43)
In 1086 12 carucates in BURTON (Bertune, Bortune, xi cent.) and Deepdale were soke of the king's 'manor' of Falsgrave. (fn. 44) In 1284–5 complaint was made that the tallage of Burton Dale had been withheld since the reign of John. (fn. 45) It was in 1284–5 part of the Percy fee, (fn. 46) and as a member of Topcliffe (q.v.) came with that manor to the Crown. (fn. 47) It was apparently the 'appurtenance in Deepdale' granted with Seamer successively to Sir Thomas Palmer, kt., and Sir John Gate, kt., both attainted, and in 1555 it was granted in fee to Sir Henry Gate of Seamer. (fn. 48) In 1577 it was called the vill of Burton Dale alias Deepdale, parcel of Seamer (fn. 49) (q.v.).
Durand de Cliff and William de Cayton his son gave the manor to Byland Abbey, and before 1170 the monks of Rievaulx quitclaimed to Byland the house the latter had built at Deepdale. (fn. 52) Henry II and Richard I confirmed this possession to the house. (fn. 53) The abbey claimed free warren in Deepdale and Cayton outside the forest by charter of 1246, (fn. 54) and held the manor or grange of Deepdale until the Dissolution. (fn. 55) Deepdale was granted in 1557 to Sir Henry Gate, lord of the adjoining manor of Seamer, (fn. 56) and afterwards descended with the manor of Seamer (fn. 57) (q.v.), in which it seems to have merged.
Before the Conquest 2 carucates at KILLERBY (Chilvertebi, Chilvertesbi, xi cent.; Kilverdebi, xii cent.; Kilwardby, xiii-xviii cent.) were held by Blac and Sprot as two 'manors,' which were in 1086 in the hands of William de Percy. (fn. 58) The manor was still held of William's descendants the Earls of Northumberland as of the manor of Topcliffe (fn. 59) in 1638. (fn. 60)
Simon de Cresacre or Killerby was under-tenant in 1284–5 (fn. 61) and 1302–3. (fn. 62) John de Killerby paid the subsidy in 1327, (fn. 63) Thomas de Killerby is mentioned in 1363 (fn. 64) and was the tenant in 1368. (fn. 65) John de Killerby is mentioned in 1406, (fn. 66) William de Killerby in 1417. (fn. 67) In 1445 William Helperby (fn. 68) conveyed the manor to trustees for the lives of Thomas Conyers and Alice his wife with reversion to himself. (fn. 69) William Helperby died seised in 1477, leaving a son and heir Thomas, (fn. 70) whose sisters and heirs Margaret and Joan and Margaret's husband Robert Beilby joined with Isabel widow of Thomas and her second husband Richard Beilby in making a settlement of both halves of the manor early in 1486–7 on Robert and Margaret Beilby and their issue. (fn. 71) Thomas Beilby died seised in 1548, having settled the manor on Richard his grandson. (fn. 72) Richard, who acquired Micklethwaite Grange in Collingham parish by his marriage, (fn. 73) died in 1614, leaving a son and heir Thomas. (fn. 74) Thomas Beilby died in 1637 and his son William (fn. 75) (temporarily a lunatic (fn. 76) ) in 1665. (fn. 77) William's eldest son Richard had died in 1650, his only surviving children being daughters, and the second son John (fn. 78) succeeded. In 1681 John conveyed the manors of Micklethwaite, Killerby and Cayton to Ralph Grange and his heirs and Francis Langley. (fn. 79) Barbara Balby (? Beilby (fn. 80) ), spinster, conveyed the manor of Killerby to William Gilrey in 1726. (fn. 81) It was then purchased by Henry Bower of Bridlington, (fn. 82) who died unmarried in 1770, (fn. 83) having made settlements in 1744 and 1763. (fn. 84) Henry's nephew, Freeman Bower, who died in 1786, (fn. 85) lived at Killerby Hall. (fn. 86) The manorial rights have now become extinct.
Four carucates in OSGODBY (Asgozbi, xi cent.; Angotby, xii cent.; Osgotby, xiii cent.; Osgarby, Osgardby, xvi-xviii cent.) were in 1086 soke of the king's manor of Falsgrave (fn. 87); the manor was afterwards partly held of Pickering Castle. (fn. 88) As at Cayton, land here belonged to the fee of the Earl of Albemarle, (fn. 89) this being held in 1235 under the Earl of Norfolk. (fn. 90)
Richard son of Osgod de Osgodby, whose capital messuage here is mentioned, made grants in Osgodby to Byland Abbey, as did the family of Cayton, (fn. 91) and in February 1246–7 Henry III confirmed to the abbey the charters of Henry II and Richard I. (fn. 92) A jury of 1276 said that the monks held a knight's fee in Osgodby by grant of Thomas de Meynell, (fn. 93) but the Meynells do not seem to be otherwise mentioned. The abbey still had possessions at the Dissolution, (fn. 94) but must have subenfeoffed the Bards, whose successors paid the abbey 24s. 1½d. yearly for their lands in this place. (fn. 95) In 1275 Thomas de Wyneter of Bridlington and Rose his wife by right of Rose settled 6 oxgangs of land in Osgodby and Deepdale on John Bard of Butterwick (fn. 96) in fee, (fn. 97) and in 1284–5 John Bard held 2 carucates 5 oxgangs in Osgodby and 1 carucate in Cayton (fn. 98) and in 1308 the manor. (fn. 99) His son William (fn. 100) Bard 'of Osgodby' died in possession of lands in Osgodby and Cayton in 1349, Robert, a boy of thirteen, son of his dead son Thomas, being his heir. (fn. 101) Robert Bard was in possession in 1363 (fn. 102) and died seised in 1366, leaving a son and heir William. (fn. 103) William died holding twothirds of the manor in 1400 and was succeeded by his son Robert, (fn. 104) whose grandmother Margaret died seised of her dower third in the following year. (fn. 105) Robert Bard came of age in 1407. (fn. 106) A Robert Bard paid the subsidy in 1443–4. (fn. 107) John Wyvill of Osgodby, son of the William Wyvill of Slingsby who died in 1430, in 1460 desired to be buried in the quire of Cayton chapel near the body of Robert Bard. (fn. 108) Another John Wyvill of Osgodby made his will in 1466. (fn. 109) Robert Wyvill died childless, seised of the manor, in 1495, leaving a brother and heir William. (fn. 110) William died seised in 1521, leaving a son and heir John, (fn. 111) who after having settled the remainder in tailmale on his son John became captain of the rebels at Scarborough (q.v.) in 1537 and was attainted. (fn. 112) Although Philip and Mary made leases of the site of the manor, William Wyvill, son of the younger John, occupied it during his life and died there February 1590–1, leaving a son and heir George. (fn. 113) Two years later the queen granted the site and capital messuage to John West. (fn. 114) George Wyvill died in 1597, leaving a brother and heir Roger, (fn. 115) who was in 1611 allowed to purchase the manor of Osgodby as part payment of £50,000 due to various contractors. (fn. 116) Roger made a settlement of the manor in 1639. (fn. 117) He and his son William fought on the king's side in the Civil War, the former obtaining pardon in spite of having remained with the Scarborough garrison some time after Sir Hugh Cholmley's defection. (fn. 118) He died in 1657, his son William died childless in 1663. (fn. 119) The second son John (fn. 120) succeeded (fn. 121) and died in 1705. (fn. 122) In 1716 the manor was in the hands of Sir Marmaduke Wyvill (fn. 123) of Constable Burton, (fn. 124) and it was still descending with Constable Burton in 1797. (fn. 125) The Earls of Londesborough have been the owners since at least 1879.
The chapel of ST. JOHN BAPTIST is a small building consisting of quire 32 ft. 4 in. by 12 ft. 1 in. with north chapel, a nave 36 ft. 6 in. by 16 ft. 4 in. with north aisle 11 ft. wide and south porch, and western tower.
The quire is of late 12th or early 13th-century date with a 15th-century chancel arch. All the windows are modern restorations, but there is a trefoil-headed piscina in the south wall and in the same wall externally an arched recess for an outside tomb. On the north side of the quire is a wide semicircular arch springing at about 3 ft. only above the floor and opening into a small chapel, of which the piscina remains in the eastern abutment. The axis of the quire deviates somewhat to the south of that of the nave. A modern vestry adjoins the north chapel on the east. The nave retains its original 12th-century walls, but has been lengthened towards the west in the 15th century. The north aisle of two bays (extending westwards only as far as the original 12th-century church) has a slightly pointed arcade resting on a cylindrical pier and responds with cushion capitals. The arches have been altered and perhaps rebuilt and the western respond lacks its abacus. The windows are all modern and the only other ancient feature is the south door, a 12th-century arch, recessed in three orders enriched with cheveron ornament and two side shafts to each jamb. The font has a plain bowl of the 12th century resting on a modern base.
The only monument of interest is a slab on the floor of the quire with a brass inscription, much worn, to Robert — 1452 (?) with three evangelistic symbols still remaining. Set in the same slab is an inscription (with coat of arms) to John Wyvill of Osgodby, 1705. The communion table of oak (now grained) is of the 17th century.
The tower, a 15th-century work, is three stages high with two-light belfry windows and an embattled parapet with pinnacles at the angles. The woodwork of the doorway from the nave bears the names of the churchwardens and the date 1678. The three bells are all modern, one being dated 1892 and the others 1897.
Belonging to this chapel is an Elizabethan silver cup and cover, the former inscribed, 'This Challice made anew when Wm Redhead and Michael Coates were Churchwardens, 1696.' It bears the mark of Thomas Symson of York.
The registers begin in 1588.
The chapel of Cayton is a dependency of the church of Seamer (q.v.), with which it has always descended. The living is a chapelry.
As stated above, the ruins of the old chapel of St. Leonard are still to be seen at Osgodby. John Bard had licence in 1308 to have an oratory here, (fn. 126) no doubt the chantry leased to Edward Downing and Roger Rant in 1590 (fn. 127) and afterwards granted to Francis Morice and others as 'parcel of the chantry of Osgodby in the church of Cayton.' (fn. 128) A rent of £5 19s. 1¾d. from the 'late chantry in the chapel' was conveyed by George Gosfright and Frances his wife to William Nashe in 1655. (fn. 129)
In 1697 Elisha Trott, by his will dated 11 August, charged two closes of land in Cayton called The Rooks with the payment of 20s. a year to the poor. The charity was mentioned in the table of benefactions and was formerly received and distributed by the overseers.
In 1878 John Jackson, by his will proved at York 28 November, left £500, the interest to be distributed by the vicar and churchwardens yearly at Christmas among the aged poor. The legacy was invested in £508 18s. 1d. consols with the official trustees. In 1906 the dividend, amounting to £12 14s. 4d., was distributed in sums varying from 10s. to 17s. 6d. among fifteen poor persons.