Calendar of the Manuscripts of the Dean and Chapter of Wells: Volume 2. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
1501, St. Jerome's Day, Sept. 30.—Collation to priories and chantries etc., similar to those on pp. 106, 112.—ƒo. 88.
Clerk of the fabric: Pomeray.
Escheator: nominated by the vicars, Jenyns, Veysy and Capron; chosen by the canons, Jenyns.
Auditors: Vowell, baron, Cornissh and Pykman; in the absence of Vowell, Stevyns to be baron.
Keepers of the library: The sub-dean [Robert Wydow] and Carseleigh.
Scrutators of canonical houses: The sub-dean and the succentor [Lugwardyn].
1501, Oct. 1.—Grant to the chancellor [Thomas Cornissh] and the succentor [Lugwardyn] of a tenement in Wells, called the hospicium de le Antilope, for 80 years, at a yearly rent of 4s.; they must rebuild it [de novo edificabunt] and repair and maintain it at their own expense.—ƒo. 88d.
1501, Dec. 7.—Master Thomas Harries, treasurer, appointed steward of the church for the ensuing year, during which time, when present in Wells and making his residence, he shall have his accustomed cotidians; and also, when riding abroad to hold courts or on other business of the church, he shall have his cotidians as a simple canon, viz: 8d. a day, and not more; if he goes out of Wells on his own business, he shall have no cotidians; he shall have all days of his absence in complement of his residence, sine fructu.
1501, Dec. 20.—Grant of 40 days to every canon residentiary, without cotidians; but if any canon shall go the way of all flesh before completing his necessary residence, not counting the said 40 days, then the 40 days shall not count towards completion; and so at great commons [ad magnam comunam] the 40 days shall stand to each canon, wishing to absent himself, in supplement of his necessary residence, without fruit, that is daily distributions [absque fructu, hoc est, cotidianis distribucionibus].—fo. 89.
Sir J. Stadford, for his good service to God and St. Andrew, may have 20s. reward from the master of the fabric at Michaelmas next, and especially because he has no chantry this year.
1501–2, Jan. 2.—John Predioux admitted a perpetual vicar.
1501–2, Jan. 29.—Masters John Pykman, archdeacon of Bath, Richard Mayow, S.T.P., Thomas Gilbert and Richard Hatton, decretorum doctores, appointed proctors of the chapter at the convocation at St. Paul's, London, on Feb. 14 next. Pykman and Gilbert to have all the days of their absence in complement of their residence, without cotidians.
Gilbert Jacob [vicar choral] confessed that he had committed adultery, and submitted to correction.—ƒo. 89d.
John Salter, vicar [choral], confessed that he had violently beaten a woman called Katherine; on the Saturday following he was sentenced that throughout the week he should be in the choir at all canonical hours, both day and night, and at high masses, from the beginning to the end, taking nothing for commons or other emoluments in the mean time.
1501–2, Jan. 29.—All the vicars choral are warned that henceforward they must come to the choir and be present in canonical hours, both day and night, and must not leave the choir, wandering round about by the columns of the church during service, until high mass and other canonical hours are sung and fully ended, under penalty of losing commons for that day; excepting those of great age, or having weakness of body or infirmity, or other just and reasonable cause, to be sworn to at the next chapter. Every vicar guilty in the premises, whether from negligence or contumacy, shall have five public warnings, and if he do not amend, he shall be held incorrigible and contumacious and shall incur the penalty of the ancient statute and be expelled.
The sub-dean, for the first, second and third time and peremptorily, warned all vicars deputed to any office of the church that henceforth they must be present at the first matins of every feast day throughout the year, under the penalty above mentioned, saving lawful impediment; at other times they are excused by reason of their offices.—ƒo. 90.
1501–2, March 4.—Grant to Master John Pykman, archdeacon of Bath, proctor of the chapter in convocation, of all his days of absence, viz. from Dec. 30, when he started for London, to his return on the penultimate of February, sine fructu.
Grant of 20 days of grace to every canon residentiary, without cotidians.
Grant to the sub-dean of the canonical house where Master John Lugwardyn lately dwelt.
1502, April 5.—John Salter, vicar, confessed that he had laid violent hands on Sir Hugh Voulez, chaplain and vicar; he was sentenced to be suspended from his habit until the feast of St. Jerome next, receiving no commons or other emoluments meanwhile.
1502, May 4.—Confirmed a grant by the bishop to William Wodde and Agnes his wife and Richard their son, of a close called Brereruding, containing 34 acres, lying within the manor of Wyke near Pokluchurch, co. Gloucester, for their lives and that of the survivor.—ƒo. 90d.
Sir Robert Tresewell presented to the perpetual vicarage of the parish church of Chiltren Dommer; he gave a bond in 100 marks that he would not disturb, molest or make any suit for augmentation of his vicarage.
1502, May 14.—Sir Robert Brixwik [?], chaplain, nominated to the parish church or chapel with cure of Estlangbroke Gundenz [?].
Grant of 20 days to Master John Vowell, lately at London on business of the church, without cotidians.
Grant to Master Peter Caresleigh of 4 days during which he was occupied in holding their courts, sine fructu.
1502, May 28.—John Standerwike, vicar choral, received a first warning for neglect of duty.
1502, June 8.—William Cousyn, decretorum doctor, dean of Wells, appeared in the chapter house before Masters Robert Wydow, sub-dean, John Pykman, archdeacon of Bath, Thomas Beaumonte, provost, John Vowle, John Stevyns, Thomas Thomeo, Hugh Yng and John Butomb [?], canons, and took the oath, according to custom, and was afterwards installed.—ƒo. 91.
1502, June 17.—Master Peter Caresleigh deputed to go on the church's business to Lydearde Bishop's and Chiltren Dommer; he shall have 6 days of grace, cum fructu.
1502, Aug. 11.—Grant of 20 days of grace, without cotidians, to Master John Vowell.
1502, Aug. 16.—The dean and all the canons residentiary, being present at the ordinarial visitation of the bishop, at his request granted to (blank) the office of common labourer and plumber of the church, at the accustomed fees and wage.
1502, Aug. 18.—Sir Hugh Vaysy, vicar choral, has leave of absence from Michaelmas next until Easter, taking nothing as emolument of the church or as vicars' commons, save only the receipts of his stall.
1502, Sept. 4.—Thomas [Cornish], bishop of Tine, installed as precentor, pursuant to mandate of the bishop.—ƒo. 91d.
John Pykman, decretorum doctor, installed as chancellor [vice Cornish].
Thomas Thomeo installed as archdeacon of Bath [vice Pykman].
1502, Sept. 11.—Sir John Stevyns, canon, nominated to the perpetual vicarage of Cheddre, at the special request of the bishop.
1502, Sept. 17.—A second warning given to John Standerwyke, vicar choral.
1502, Sept. 18.—Master Thomas Rowthall, decretorum doctor, admitted canon and installed by proxy in the prebend of Tymberescombe, pursuant to mandate of the bishop.
1502, Sept. 20.—Grant to Robert Pemberton, clerk, and others, of the next presentation to the chapel or church of Alverton, in the diocese of Bath and Wells.—ƒo. 92.
Master Robert Wydow, sub-dean, appointed steward of the chapter for the ensuing year.
The sub-dean, precentor, chancellor and John Stevyns [all present] unanimously agreed that henceforth no one of them in the absence of the others would consent to grant any grace of days, general or special, in complement of residence of canons, as has been done heretofore.
The precentor and Master Broke, gent., appointed proctors to levy, recover and receive certain ancient debts from J. Llewyllyng of Poklechurch and others, and if necessary to sue for the same.
The bishop of Tine, the precentor, Masters Richard Mayow, Richard Hatton and Thomas Thomeo, canons, appointed proctors for the chapter at the convocation summoned at St. Paul's, London, for Feb. 14, and afterwards prorogued to Oct. 11; grant to the bishop of the whole time of his absence therein, sine fructu.
1502, St. Jerome's Day, Sept. 30.—Collation to priories, chantries, etc., similar to those on pp. 106, 112.—ƒo. 92d.
Clerk of the fabric: Pomeray.
Escheator: nominated by the vicars, Jenyns, Capron and Clerke; chosen by the canons, Jenyns.
Auditors: Stevyns, baron, the sub-dean and Carseleigh. Ralph Stafford, vicar, has leave of absence to the second day after Martinmas.
1502, Oct. 1.—Grant to Gilbert Jacob, vicar choral, of a reward of 26s. 8d., to be paid by the master of the fabric from a vacant stall at Michaelmas next.—ƒo. 93.
Edward Prowce admitted a non-perpetual vicar.
1502, Oct. 3.—Confirmation of the bishop's writing, manumitting Thomas and Nicholas Hawkyns, his natives on the manor of Banwell.
1502, Oct. 6.—William Hichman, abbat of Strateford Langthorn, installed by proxy in the prebend of Combe XV, pursuant to mandate of the bishop.
Master Christopher Ursywyke admitted a canon and installed by proxy in the prebend of Eston-in-Gordano, pursuant to mandate of the bishop.
1502, Oct. 8.—Confirmation of a grant made by the dean to Sir William Basset, chaplain, for life, of the church of Marke.
1502, Oct. 12.—Confirmation of the bishop's grant of the manor of Compton Bishop's to his sister, Elizabeth Cousyn, and Robert Cosyn her son, for 60 years.—ƒo. 93d.
1502, Nov. 19.—Master Thomas Beaumounte installed as archdeacon of Wells, pursuant to mandate of the bishop.
William Rawlyns installed by proxy in the provostship of the cathedral church.
Master John Mertok installed by proxy in the prebend of Hasilbere.
1502, Nov. 25.—Master Thomas Harries, the treasurer, appointed surveyor of the fabric of the new chancel of the parish church of Northcory, and granted 40 days of grace, sine fructu; he was also to have a chamber and hay for his horses when on the said business.
1502, Dec. 22.—Sir John Yaa, chaplain, resigned the chantry at St. Edmund's altar in the nave, founded for the soul of Ralph Erghum; he was appointed to one of the four chantries founded for the soul of Nicholas Bubbwith, vacant by the death of Sir John Hampton. Sir William God, chaplain, appointed to the chantry at St. Edmund's altar.—ƒo. 94.
1502, Dec. 23.—Master Nicholas Halleswell, M.D., installed by proxy in the prebend of Combe III, pursuant to mandate of the bishop.
1502–3, Jan. 14.—Thomas [Cornish], bishop of Tine, and Peter Caresleigh, appointed proctors to settle the controversies between the dean and chapter and the prior and convent of Bruton as to a pension issuing out of the parish church of Chiltren Dommer; with full discretion.
Sir John Broghyng, vicar choral, on account of his age and infirmities, has license to be absent two nights a week from matins in the night, over and above the two nights allowed to the vicars by custom, but he must be present three nights; he shall receive his whole commons weekly for those three nights, as though he had been present at all matins during the week.—ƒo. 94d.
1502–3, Feb. 13.—Every canon residentiary who was actually resident last year may this year have in complement of his residence, every week until Michaelmas, two days of grace [dies graciosos] at his pleasure, so that he actually reside in the city of Wells at least one day between Sunday and Sunday in each week, and not otherwise.
Lease to the bishop of Tine, the precentor, and his successors of a vacant, piece of ground [unum vacuum solum] lying on the east of the churchyard wall, between the wall and the tenement of the precentor and his successors, for 99 years, paying yearly as appears in an indenture made thereof under the common seal.
1502–3, Feb. 22.—Master John Mertok was installed as succentor, in the person of Master Robert Wydow, his proctor.
A writing by the bishop, granting the manor of Compton Bishop to Elizabeth Cousyn and Robert Cousyn, was cancelled. A grant by the bishop of the manor of Blackford to the said Elizabeth and Robert was confirmed.
1502–3, March 2.—Master Hugh Yng, lately admitted a canon residentiary, may have days of grace in similar form to the grant of Feb. 13 last.—ƒo. 95.
1502–3, March 7.—Sir Richard Pomeray, vicar choral, for his good and diligent service, has license not to attend matins in the night time hereafter; he may receive his vicar's cotidians without any diminution.
1502–3, March 14.—Master Thomas Thomeo, archdeacon of Bath, appeared and said that he wished to begin his residence, and prayed to be admitted; he paid 100 marks caution money. He was admitted [a canon residentiary] and granted days of grace according to the grant of Feb. 13 last. He may reside in the house of any residentiary or elsewhere within the town at his pleasure until Whitsunday [dominica in albis], so that in the meantime he may be the better able to repair and prepare his house of residence.
1503, April 11.—Confirmation of the grant of two special days of grace in each week until Michaelmas (made on Feb. 13 last) to each canon residentiary, but so that he take no daily distributions on those days, but enjoy them sine fructu.
At the desire of the bishop it was agreed to perform the will and desire of the king and to make prayers and supplications in the cathedral for the health and good estate of the king, according to the form and ordinance of other cathedral churches.—ƒo. 95d.
1503, April 26.—Grant of 40 days of grace to every canon, present or absent, making actual residence this year, to be used before Michaelmas next, without cotidians; provided always that these 40 days shall not be allowed to any one of them unless he shall first consent to the grace of two days approved of on April 11.
1503, May 6.—Sir John Draper, chaplain, admitted master of the schools, on taking the oath of canonical obedience to the dean and chapter and swearing to exercise his office according to the ancient custom of the cathedral.
1503, May 27.—Master George Perse installed by proxy in the prebend of Ilton, pursuant to mandate of the bishop.
Master William Barons, LL.D., installed by proxy in the prebend of Combe IV, pursuant to mandate of the bishop.
1503, May 30.—John Bray installed by proxy in the prebend of Lytton, pursuant to mandate of the bishop.
1503, June 21.—Sir John Abbot, chaplain at the altar of Holy Cross in the cathedral, has license to ride to London with the sub-dean [Robert Wydow] and to be absent from his chantry so long as the sub-dean is absent; another chaplain must supply his place in the meantime.—ƒo. 96.
1503, June 22.—Decreed that henceforward no canon residentiary should enjoy the grace of two days a week, granted on Feb. 13 last, without prejudice to any enjoyment of it from that day to June 22; each canon making actual residence this year to have 30 days of grace, without cotidians.
1503, July 6.—Thomas Legate admitted a vicar non-perpetual.
1503, Aug. 8.—Sir John Wellyngton, abbat of the monastery of Athelnay, admitted a canon and installed in person in the prebend of Longsutton; he paid his caution money 80l. [?], 13s. 4d. to the sacrist and 3s. 4d. to the scribe of the acts.
1503, Aug. 11.—Grant to Master Thomas Thomyow, archdeacon of Bath, of the canonical house late in the tenure of Master Thomas Gilbert, at the accustomed rent, also a close of meadow adjoining thereto on the north, which he shall hold at a rent of 20s. so long as he dwells in the said house.
1503, Aug. 14.—Master Alexander Hody, in decretis bachelor, admitted as chancellor of the church and co-brother, and installed by proxy in the prebend of Hasilbere, pursuant to mandate of the bishop.—ƒo. 96d.
1503, Aug. 17.—Grant to Giles Daubnay, lord of Daubnay, of the office of steward of all the chapter's lands and lordships, to hold for life and to be exercised by himself or his deputy, with a yearly fee of 40s. at Michaelmas.
1503, Aug. 29.—(The day of the death of Oliver [King], bishop of Bath and Wells. (fn. 1) )—Master Thomas Harreis installed by proxy in the prebend of Hengstrigge, pursuant to mandate of the bishop.
Master Hugh Ynge installed in person in the prebend of Estharptre, pursuant to mandate of the bishop.