Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: Volume 8, Hereford. Originally published by Institute of Historical Research, London, 2002.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
LIST 17 PREBENDARIES OF HAMPTON
In 1086 the manor of Hampton was held by the church of Hereford in demesne (DB I 182b). The preb. of Hampton had been established before the mid 13thcent. cath. statutes were compiled, as it is there stated to owe 10 trugs of wheat and 20 of oats to the common fund each year (LS II 55). The preb. is assessed in the taxation of pope Nicholas of c. 1291 at £1 7s 8d (Taxatio p. 169a); in 1294 the preb., referred to as Hoptone, was assessed in a list entered into the register of bp. Swinfield at 2m (Reg. Swinfield p. 305: Hoptone). Valor III 10 assessed this preb. at 59s 4½d gross, 52s½d net.
M. Martin of Gex (fn. 1)
Occ. as can. of Hereford 4 Nov. 1258 (CPR 1258-66 p. 2); described as can. of Hereford and very ill 21 Apr. 1279 (Reg. Cantilupe p. 204); d. by 4 May 1279 when his preb. was given to M. Richard de Swinfield (Reg. Cantilupe pp. 210- 11). The preb. is not identified but is presumably Hampton (see the following two entries).
M. Richard de Swinfield (fn. 2)
Previously held a preb. vacated by M. Richard of Stratford, which cannot be identified but to which Richard was coll. 21 Dec. 1277 (Reg. Cantilupe p. 155, and see app. 2); coll. to preb. which had been held by M. Martin of Gex 4 May 1279 (ibid. pp. 210-11). Vacated preb. shortly before his cons. as bp., 7 March 1283, since on that day it was given to Roger Bourd (ibid. p. 524). The preb. is not identified but is presumably Hampton (see the following entry).
Roger Burt (fn. 3)
Coll. 7 March 1283 to an unnamed preb. previously held by M. Richard de Swinfield (Reg. Swinfield p. 524); occ. c. 1291 holding preb. of Hampton (Taxatio p. 169). Clk. and familiar of abp. 1283; can. of Lichfield 1283 (Reg. Pecham II 194, 202); treas. of Pecham's chamber (ibid. p. xi).
Occ. as resident can., preb. unspecified, 29 Sept. 1295 (Capes, Charters p. 169); occ. as can., preb. unspecified, 17 Nov. 1298 (Reg. Swinfield p. 547); d. holding this preb. by 23 Feb. 1304, when his successor was coll. (ibid. p. 535; 2 Fasti II 26).