The Environs of London: Volume 4, Counties of Herts, Essex and Kent. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1796.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Quantity of land, and how occupied.
This place, which is also called Low Leyton, derives its name from its situation on the river Ley or Lea. It lies in the hundred of Becontree, at the distance of five miles from Shoreditch church, and nearly the same distance from Whitechapel. The parish is bounded on the north by Walthamstow; on the east by Wanstead; on the south by Westham; on the west by the river Lea, which separates it from Hackney in Middlesex. It contains about 1700 acres, of which about 150 are marsh-land, 250 waste, (in the forest of Waltham, commonly called Epping Forest,) 25 occupied by nurserymen and market gardeners: the remainder is divided, in nearly an equal proportion, between meadow and arable. About 200 acres of the arable are usually cropped with potatoes. The soil, in some parts of the parish, is a gravel, abounding with sine springs; in other parts, clay. This parish pays the sum of 458l. 12s. to the land-tax, which is at the rate of about 2s. in the pound.
Various remains of Roman antiquities have been found within this parish; particularly near the manor-house, where large foundations of walls, intermixed with Roman bricks; an arched gateway, (about ten feet high and six feet wide,) ornamented with mouldings, the top of which is said to have been six feet under ground (fn. 1); and many coins both consular and imperial. Several urns also have been dug up near Ruckholt. It is evident that there was a Roman station here, and some antiquaries have supposed it to have been the ancient Durolitum or Durositum (fn. 2); but it must be observed, that the Itinerary of Antoninus places Durolitum at the distance of fifteen miles from London. In the year 1783, some workmen, employed in digging a channel at the Temple-mills in this parish, found a stone coffin, in which were several pieces of armour (fn. 3).
In Edward the Confessor's reign, the principal estates in this parish were held by Earl Harold, Tosti, Swein Suart, Alsi, &c.: at the time of the Norman survey (fn. 4), they were the property of Robert, son of Corbutio; Ralph Baignard (fn. 5), who held under the Abbey of Westminster; Peter de Valoines (fn. 6); Hugh Montfort, and Robert Gernon.
Manor of Leyton.
The manor of Leyton, or Leyton Grange, being the estate which belonged to Robert de Corbutio, was given by Walter Corpechun to the abbot and convent of Stratford Langthorn, and confirmed by Ralph de Arderne, about the year 1200 (fn. 7). After the dissolution of religious houses it was granted, anno 1545, to Thomas Lord Wriothesley, Lord Chancellor of England (fn. 8); who, the next day after the date of his grant, conveyed it to Sir Ralph Warren (fn. 9), whose widow married Sir Thomas White (fn. 10), and held this manor in dower till her death; when it was inherited by Richard Warren, only son of Sir Ralph, who died without issue in 1597 (fn. 11); the inheritance then devolved to his sister Joan, wife to Sir Henry Williams, alias Cromwell, whose son Oliver Cromwell, Esq. sold it, in 1599, to Edward Ryder (fn. 12). Sir William Ryder, who died in 1611, left two daughters coheirs, Mary, wife of Sir Thomas Lake, and Susan, wife of Sir Thomas Cfar, Knight. It was purchased, in 1649, by Capt. George Swanley, Bernard Ozler, and Robert Abbot (fn. 13). John Smith of London bought Abbot's share; and left it, by will, to the poor of St. Swithin's, and St. Peter's, Eastgate, in the city of Lincoln; for whose use it was vested in the mayor and six senior aldermen of that city, together with the overseers of the parishes above mentioned (fn. 14). Captain Swanley's share, after the death of his children without issue, became vested in Martha Lady Clutterbuck, Sarah Lymbrey, and Mary, wife of John Hanson. Oliver Martin, in 1696, bought Lady Clutterbuck's share, and sold it again, the next year, to John Chinnall, who had previously purchased Mrs. Lymbrey's and Hanson's shares. In 1703, he sold the whole of what had been Swanley's to David Gansell, Esq (fn. 15). Ozler's share came by inheritance to David Hopton; who, in 1709, sold it to Mr. Gansell (fn. 16). Two-thirds of the manor, being thus vested in him, were inherited by his son the late General Gansell, whose heirs sold them, in 1783, to John Pardoe, Esq. (fn. 17), the present proprietor; who, in the year 1794, purchased of the corporation of Lincoln the other share, belonging to the poor of St. Swithin's and St. Peter's, Eastgate, in that city. This purchase was confirmed by an act of parliament.
Edward Ryder, Esq. sold the manor-house of Leyton, in the year 1610, to Anthony Holmead (fn. 18). A mansion, which was afterwards made the manerial residence, was purchased of the Gansells by Sir John Strange, Master of the Rolls. After his death, it was bought by Thomas Bladen, Esq., whose heirs sold it to Nathaniel Brassey, Esq. It was purchased of Mr. Brassey, in 1796, by Thomas Lane, Esq. the present proprietor.
Manor of Marks.
The manor of Marks belonged to the priory of St. Helen's, and was granted after the dissolution of that monastery, anno 1545, to Paul Withipol and his son (fn. 19). In 1601, Sir Edmund Withipol sold it to James Altham, Esq. (afterwards one of the barons of the Exchequer (fn. 20) ). His son Sir James Altham died seised of this manor in 1622, leaving an infant son, who survived him but a short time, and two daughters, who became his coheirs (fn. 21). After this period I have been able to learn nothing farther relating to the manor of Marks, than that it became incorporated with Leyton Grange, to which it was united by David Gansell, Esq.; and that it was purchased by Mr. Pardoe, with that estate, of General Gansell's heirs. The site of the manor (now a farm-house) is called Marks-hall. The old house stood upon the boundaries of the parishes of Leyton and Walthamstow.
Manor of Ruckholt.
The manor of Ruckholt (which took its name from the Saxon words Roc-bolt, i.e. Rook-wood) was, about the year 1284, the property of William, son of Robert de Bumpsted Steple, who then recognized a deed, by which he had granted this manor to Sir Richard de la Vache (fn. 22). In the year 1360, Philip de Bumpsted, son and heir of Robert Bumpsted of Stoke, released to Adam Francis, citizen of London, all his right and interest in this manor (fn. 23). It is probable that Francis had purchased it of the heirs of Sir Richard de la Vache. Sir Adam Francis, who died seised of this manor in 1417, left two daughters coheirs (fn. 24), Agnes, wife of Sir William Porter, who died without issue in 1461 (fn. 25), and Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Charlton, whose son Sir Thomas died seised of this manor in 1465 (fn. 26). Sir Richard Charlton, son of Sir Thomas, being attainted of hightreason for his adherence to Richard the Third, this manor fell into the hands of the crown, and was granted by Henry VII. anno 1487, to Sir John Rysley (fn. 27); on whose death it escheated to the crown, and was granted, anno 1513, to William Compton (fn. 28), ancestor of the Earls of Northampton. William Lord Compton sold this manor, in 1592, to Henry Parish, Gent. (fn. 29), whose widow married Sir Michael Hickes, secretary to Lord Burleigh. Sir Michael purchased the manor of Parvish's heirs, and it continued in the family of Hickes till the year 1720; when Sir Harry Hickes, Bart. sold it to the trustees of Robert Knight, Esq. cashier of the South Sea Company, of whom it was purchased, in 1731, by Ann, relict of Frederic Tylney, Esq (fn. 30). It is now, with the rest of the Tylney estates, vested in the insant son of the late Sir James Tylney Long, Bart.
The mansion-house, which was for many years the residence of the Hickes's, stood about a mile south of the church. In the years 1742, 1743, and 1744, it was in the occupation of William Barton, who opened it as a place of public amusement for breakfasts and afternoon concerts, which were held weekly during the summer: oratorios were sometimes performed. It appears, by some of the advertisements (fn. 31), that tradition called this old mansion one of Queen Elizabeth's palaces, evidently with no foundation; it is not improbable that she honoured Sir Michael Hickes with a visit there, which might give rise to the tradition. Ruckholt-house was pulled down about the year 1757.
The manor, which had belonged, in the reign of William the Conqueror, to Peter de Valoines, was given by his great grandaughter Gunnora to the nuns of Holiwell (fn. 32). At the dissolution of monasteries it was granted to Morgan Philips, alias Wolse (fn. 33), whose eldest son Julinus died seised of it in 1557 (fn. 34). I have not been able to find how this estate afterwards descended, or who is the present owner: it is probable that it became incorporated with Leyton Grange.
Symond de Mill and his wife Adeline gave to the priory of the Holy Trinity two hides of land in Leyton, which were confirmed to them by Robert de Vere, and by King Stephen (fn. 35). It is probable that they are incorporated with some other estates.
The Forest-house, now the seat of Samuel Bosanquet, Esq. belonged anciently to the abbey of Waltham (fn. 36). In the last century, it was the property and residence of Charles Earl of Norwich (fn. 37), who died in 1670, and lies buried at Leyton. It afterwards belonged to Sir Gilbert Heathcote, whose son Sir John Heathcote, Bart. sold it to the Bosanquets (fn. 38).
Walwood house and estate.
In the year 1693, Richard Lord Colchester had a grant of 250 (fn. 39) acres of land in the forest of Waltham, in or near Leyton (fn. 40), for the term of 99 years. The lease was renewed, in 1778, to Dorothea Owsley, spinster, for 31 years (fn. 41).
This estate, which is called Walwood, is described by Lord Chief Baron Manwood, in his book of Forest Laws (fn. 42), as being within the bounds of the forest of Waltham; but yet "no part of it, nor within "the regard thereof," i. e. not subject to the forest laws. Walwood-house is now in the tenure of Robert Williams, Esq.
Lady Margaret Brian.
Edward Rowe Mores.
In this parish lived Lady Margaret Brian, governess to Edward VI., Queen Mary, and Queen Elizabeth: she made her will in 1551, being then resident at Leyton. Edward Rowe Mores, Esq. lived many years at Leyton, in a house of whimsical construction built by himself, and now called Etloe-place (fn. 43).
The parish-church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary (fn. 44), is a brick structure, consisting of a nave, chancel, and a north aisle. The chancel was repaired in 1679, through the care, and a partly at the expence, of Mr. Strype, who was then minister. The nave was rebuilt, and the north aisle (except the east end, which was built by Sir William Ryder in 1610 (fn. 45) ) added about the year 1658 or 1659; the tower, which is at the west end, was built, about the same time.
Monument of Sir Michael Hickes.
On the south side of the chancel is the monument of Sir Michael Hickes (fn. 46), whose effigies in armour is represented in alabaster, as large as the life; there is the effigies also of his wife (in a mourning habit, holding a book). Sir Michael Hickes died Aug. 5, 1612. His epitaph contains nothing remarkable. On the same wall is a brass tablet to the memory of Mary Lady Kingston (fn. 47), 1557; and the monuments of Andrew Redich (second son of Ralph Redich (fn. 48) of Mottram in Cheshire), 1603; Newdigate Owsley, Esq. (fn. 49), 1714; and Sir Robert Beachcroft, sometime Lord Mayor of London (fn. 50), a liberal benefactor to Christ's-church and St. Thomas's hospitals, 1721.
Monuments of the Hickes's.
On the north wall is a handsome monument in memory of Sir William Hickes, Bart. who died in 1680; Sir William Hickes, Bart. (fn. 51) (his son), 1702; and Marthagnes Lady Hickes (wife of Sir William Hickes the younger), 1723. This monument is ornamented with the effigies of the deceased in white marble: Sir William Hickes (the father) is represented in a recumbent attitude, holding a baton in his hand, as lieutenant of the forest of Waltham; on one side is his son in a Roman habit, and on the other Dame Marthagnes Hickes, both standing. On the chancel-floor are the tombs of Ursula, daughter of Gaspar Luce (fn. 52), 1493 (with a figure in brass of the deceased); Henry Parvish, merchant, 1593; Elizabeth, wife of Tobias Wood, (with figures in brass of the deceased and her husband,) without date (fn. 53); Sir Edward Holmden, 1616; Laurence Moyer, Esq. 1685; Laurence Moyer, Esq. 1720; Catherine Moyer, 1724; and the Rev. John Strype, aged 94, 1737 (fn. 54). There were formerly memorials for Henry Archer, Esq. (fn. 55), 1585, and Mr. Charles Moriscoe, merchant, 1670.
On the south wall of the nave is a monument to the memory of William Church, Gent. 1723; Mary, his wife, daughter of John Tod, 1707; Sarah, wife of James Ball, 1722, and Mr. Abraham Church, 1723.
Charles Goring, Earl of Norwich.
Sir John Strange.
On the east wall of the north aisle is the monument of Charles Goring, Earl of Norwich (fn. 56), who died in 1670. On the north wall are the monuments of Thomas Hawes, Esq. (fn. 57), 1685; Thomas Hawes, Esq. his son, 1743; Mrs. Ann Hawes, 1759, &c.; Ann, daughter and heir of William Fisher, Esq. Alderman of London, and wife of Nathaniel Tench, Esq. (fn. 58), 1696; Nathaniel Tench, her husband, 1710; Sir Richard Hopkins (fn. 59), Alderman of London, 1735; Sir John Strange, Master of the Rolls (fn. 60), 1754; Samuel Bosanquet, Esq. (fn. 61), 1765; and a wooden tablet in memory of Mr. Charles Goodfellow, merchant, of Aleppo, 1686. In the northwest corner of this aisle is a tablet of white marble to the memory of Mr. William Bowyer (fn. 62), 1737. On the west wall is a handsome marble monument (by Hickey) to the memory of John Story, Esq. 1786. On the floor is another inscription to the Earl of Norwich, (by which it appears that he married Alice, one of the daughters and coheirs of Robert Leman, Esq. of Brightwell-hall in Suffolk); and the tombs of Mr. John Wood, who in his youth travelled over several parts of Europe, Asia, Africa, and America; and being an inhabitant of this parish, contributed freely to rebuilding the church: ob. 1660; John Wood, merchant, (his son,) 1670; Alexander Bence, Esq. Alderman of London, 1662; Thomas Hopkins, Esq. 1667; John Lloyd, Esq. second son of Sir Charles Lloyd, Bart. 1667; William Davies, mercer, 1678 (he married Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Maddison, Esq.); Charles Gauden, Esq. of Mark-house, (son of John Gauden, Bishop of Worcester, by Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Russell of Chippingham in Cambridgeshire,) 1679 (he married Mary, daughter of George Brett of Hatherley in Gloucestershire); Elizabeth, wife of Charles Britt, Esq. and only daughter of Charles Gauden, 1731; Robert Harvey, merchant, 1695; and Philip Allen, Gent. 1720.
Tombs in the churchyard.
In the churchyard are the tombs of Elizabeth, wife of Sir Harry Hickes, Bart. 1705; John Fisher, Esq. 1719; Thomas Baker, apothecary, 1726; Elizabeth, wife of Henry Marsh, Esq. (daughter of Edward Lisle, Esq. of Crux-Easton, Hants, by Mary, only daughter of Sir Ambrose Phillips of Garenton in Leicestershire, Knt.) 1726; Elizabeth, only child of John Hungerford, Esq. (of Devonshire and Wilts,) married first to John Fisher, and afterwards to Peregrine Bertie, Esq. ob. 1731; Peregrine her husband, son of Peregrine Bertie of Long Sutton in Lincolnshire, 1743; Ernle Bertie, LL. D. 1757; Peregrine Bertie jun. (fn. 63), 1786; Catherine, his wife, daughter of Richard Backwell, Esq. of Billing in Northamptonshire, 1770; Sir Fisher Tench, Bart. (son of Nathaniel Tench, by Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Bird, Esq.) 1736; Sir Nathaniel Tench, Bart. 1737; Jane Soresby, daughter of Sir Fisher Tench, sister of Sir Nathaniel, and only surviving heir of the family (fn. 64), 1752; Mr. Robert Johnson, 1749; William Johnson, Esq. 1757; Abraham Purcas, merchant, 1750; William Purcas, Esq. 1766; Rev. Daniel Capon, curate, 1751; Susanna, his daughter, wife of Robert Burchall, 1793; John Gray, surgeon, 1752; William Dunster, Esq. son of Henry, and grandson of Giles Dunster of Somersetshire, 1754; (he married Mary, daughter and heir of Gardiner, Esq. of Bury, Herts;) Isabella, widow of John Dubordieu, vicar, 1757; Benjamin Moyer, Esq. (fn. 65), 1759; David Lewis, Esq. (fn. 66), 1760; Mary, wife of William Fletcher, Gent. 1763; Mr. John Stow, 1764; Stephen Skynner, Esq. (son of Stephen Skynner of Newent, Gloucestershire,) 1764; (he married Mary, only daughter and heir of Samuel Remington, Esq.; by whom he had Mary, married to James Colebrooke, Esq. (afterwards created a baronet,) Emma, married to William Harvey, Esq. M. P. for the county of Essex, and Deborah, married to Thomas Grosvenor, Esq. M. P. for Chester;) Mr. Daniel Fenn, 1773; Capt. Henry More, (descended in a direct line, by the second marriage, from Sir John, father of the celebrated Sir Thomas More,) 1773; Matthew Lichigary, Esq. 1776; Thomas Bladen, Esq. of Glastonbury Abbey, (late governor of Maryland,) 1780; Barbara, his wife, daughter of Sir Theodore Jansen, Bart. (by Williamsa, daughter of Sir Robert Henley, Bart.) 1784; they had two daughters, Barbara, married to the Hon. Genl St. John, and Henrietta, married to the Earl of Essex; John Stenhouse, merchant, of Montreal, 1780; Richard Andrews, Esq. 1780; Elizabeth, wife of William Camden, Esq. 1784; John, eldest son of John Roebuck, 1785; Elizabeth, wife of John Roebuck the elder, 1792; James Taylor, Esq. 1787; Mrs. Mary Ledwell, his sister, 1790; Elizabeth, wife of James Boydell, 1787; Sarah, wife of Francis Creuze, 1788, and the Rev. Thomas Brathwaite, 1791.
Rectory and advowson.
The church of Leyton, which lies in the diocese of London and in the deanery of Barking, was given to the abbot and convent of Stratford-Langthorn by Gilbert de Montfichet, and confirmed by Henry the Second (fn. 67). The great tithes were afterwards appropriated to that monastery, and a vicarage was endowed, of which the abbot and convent were patrons till the dissolution of religious houses; when the great tithes were granted, with the advowson and the manor, to Lord Wriothesley (fn. 68); they continued united for more than a century. The partition of the manor into three parts, in the year 1649, has been already mentioned (fn. 69); the great tithes and right of presentation were then divided between the same parties, and in the same proportion, but they have not descended exactly in the same manner. Abbot's share of the great tithes, with a right of presentation (upon every third vacancy) to the vicarage, were sold, with his share of the manor, to John Smith, and formed a part of his bequest to the poor of St. Swithin and St. Peter, Eastgate, in Lincoln. They were purchased by Mr. Pardoe, in 1794, with a third of the manor. Ozler's share of the great tithes was not sold with his share of the manor, but descended to his representative Col. Robert Haslar, of whom it was purchased, anno 1773, by Mr. Robert James of Leyton, and is now the property of his son Mr. Richard James (fn. 70). It is a matter of doubt, whether the right of presentation on every third vacancy to the vicarage did not descend in the same manner. The other third part of the great tithes passed through the same hands as Capt. Swanley's share of the manor, till the death of General Gansell, who bequeathed it to his nephew David Jebb, Esq. the present proprietor. General Gansell's two thirds of the manor were sold, as before mentioned, to Mr. Pardoe; at the same time two thirds of the advowson, or a right of presenting twice out of three times to the vicarage, were put up to sale, and purchased by Nicholas Corselis, Esq.
The commissioners appointed to inquire into the state of ecclesiastical benefices, in 1650, found by their inquest, that the vicaragehouse at Leyton was in ruins; that the whole profits of the benefice, including an acre of glebe, were only 161. per annum; that an augmentation of 60l. had been granted by the committee of plundered ministers; and that the right of presentation was in George Swanley and others, to whom the rectory was impropriate (fn. 71). The manor of Leyton is charged with a payment of 3l. per annum to the vicar.
Chapel at Leytonstone.
A chapel was built at Leytonstone, about the year 1750, by William Dunster, Esq.; but disputes arising between the proprietor and the vicar, it was not opened till the year 1754. It is now considered as a chapel of ease, the minister being appointed by the vicar of Leyton as his curate, and licensed by the bishop of the diocese (fn. 72).
Samuel Keene, vicar.
Samuel Keene, instituted to this vicarage in 1639, became a captain in the parliamentary army, and is said to have preached at Leyton in his buff coat (fn. 73).
John Strype, licensed curate sixty eight years.
The celebrated antiquary and historian John Strype was elected minister of Leyton in 1669. The vicarage, which was of very small value, being then vacant, it appears that the patron suffered the parishioners to make their own choice. The same year the principal inhabitants signed a paper, pledging themselves to subscribe certain annual sums for his support: Sir Michael Hickes's subscription was 81. In 1674, Mr. Strype was licensed by the bishop of London as priest and curate, to officiate there during the vacancy of the vicarage. By virtue of this licence he remained unmolested in possession of its prosits till his death in 1737, having never received institution nor induction. The latter part of his life he resided principally at Hackney, where he was lecturer; but within two years of his death he constantly administered the sacrament, on Christmas day, to his parishioners at Leyton, which he never omitted to do for 66 succesfive years. In the year 1677, Mr. Strype rebuilt the vicarage-house with 140l. of his own money, aided by contributions from his parishioners. He expended considerable sums also in the repairs of the chancel. This learned man died at Hackney, on the 11th of December 1737, at the advanced age of 94, and lies buried in the chancel at this place (fn. 74). His principal works are, Annals of the Reformation; Ecclesiastical Memoirs; the lives of Sir Thomas Smith, Secretary of State to Edward VI.; Sir John Cheke, Secretary to the same Prince; Bishop Aylmer; the Archbishops Parker, Grindall, Whitgift, and Cranmer; Additions to Stow's Survey of London; and several sermons. In his historical works he was much assisted by Sir Michael Hickes's MSS. which were preserved at Ruckholt. Mr. Strype in his letter to Mr. Holman, who was collecting materials for a history of Essex, (dated 1722,) says, that he was born in the parish of Stepney, near Spitalfields, in a place called after his father, Strype's-yard (now in the parish of Christchurch, Spitalfields). I have already observed, that I could not find any entry of Mr. Strype's baptism in the parish register at Stepney (fn. 75).
The present vicar of Stepney is the Rev. Thomas Keighley, M. A. instituted in the year 1754, on the death of John Dubordieu; who succeeded Strype.
The earliest date of the register of baptisms and marriages is 1575; that of burials, 1617.
Comparative state of population.
|Average of Baptisms.||Average of Burials.|
|15809||9 9/10||(not extant)|
|16809||18 3/5||30 7/10|
|17309||43 2/5||49 1/2|
|17804||59 3/5||91 4/5|
|17849||60 3/10||76 2/5|
It appears, by the return of the King's surveyor of houses and windows, in 1762, that there were then 265 houses in this parish; of which 138 were cottages; 127, mansions. The present number of houses is about 380; of which about 180 are taxable.
In 1625, there were 30 burials, and in 1665 only 29; scarcely exceeding, in either instance, the average of those periods.
Extracts from the Parish Register.
Anecdotes of Sir MichaelHickes.
"Elizabeth (fn. 78), daughter of Michael Hickes, Esq. baptized July 17, 1598." Mr. Hickes was secretary to Lord Burleigh, and much in his confidence. He lived on terms of great intimacy with Sir Walter Ralegh, Sir Francis Bacon, Sir Robert Cecil, (his patron's son,) Camden, and others of the most eminent men of that day. He was married late in life, (being 54 years of age,) to the widow of Mr. Parvish, a merchant in London, and owner of Ruckholt, in this parish. His mother, despairing of her son's marrying, had, not long before, given a suit of hangings, which she had kept 32 years, (as a present for him whenever that event should happen,) to Sir Robert Cecil; telling him at the same time, that if her son did not make haste to marry, she would give him her house, with all the stuff belonging to it.
Sir Robert Cecil, writing to Mr. Hickes, about the time of King James's accession, says, " I will have you knighted at the Corona"tion." Shortly afterwards, he begins a letter to him with "Mr. Hickes, who would not be Sir Michael." It appears that he accepted that honour the next year (fn. 79). Sir Michael Hickes died on the 15th of August 1612, and was buried at Leyton. Elizabeth Lady Hickes, his widow, was buried there, Feb. 14, 16345.
Family of Hickes.
William, son of William Hickes, baptized Jan. 31, 161213; Anne, his daughter, July 2, 1615; Baptist, son of the said William Hickes (then a baronet) and Margaret his wife, (daughter of William Ld Paget,) baptized August 18, 1627, buried May 24, 1634; Elizabeth, their daughter, buried Jan. 7, 16334; Katherine, baptized June 29, 1636; Francis, baptized May 22, 1637, buried July 31, 1647; Michael, baptized Jan. 26, 16445; Elizabeth, Aug. 20, 1647; Sr William Hickes, Bart, buried Oct. 22, 1680."
"William, son of William Hickes, Esq. buried Jan. 23, 16645; Mary (fn. 80), daughter of the said William, (who had then been knighted, and afterwards succeeded to his father's title,) baptized July 4, 1665; Harry, his son (fn. 81), Oct. 8, 1666; Michael, baptized Nov. 5, 1667, buried Dec. 16, 1672; William, baptized March 29, 1670, buried March 18, 16812; Robert, baptized Apl 14, 1671; John, Septr 12, 1672; Michael, Sept 19, 1673; Elizabeth, baptized Nov. 9th, 1674, buried Dec. 31, 1675; Charles, baptized in London, Mar. 19, 16778; Anne, baptized Aug. 29, 1679, buried Mar. 8, 167980; Sr William Hickes, Bart, buried Apl 26, 1702; Marthagnes Lady Hickes (fn. 82), Jan. 28, 17234.
"Ltitia, daughter of Sr Michael Hickes, Knt, buried Aug. 4, 1682; another Ltitia, June 29, 1685; William, his son, July 11, 1685; Michael, Nov. 9, 1686; Elizabeth, his daughter, May 21, 1691; another William, Mar. 23, 16945.
"Margaret, daughter of Sr Harry Hickes, and Elizabeth, baptized Oct. 23, 1699, buried Mar. 23, 16991700; Harry, baptized Ap. 21, 1705, buried Sep. 22, 1721; Elizabeth, wife of Sr Harry Hickes, (daughter of Admiral Sr John Holmes,) buried Jan. 21, 17056; Robert, son of Sr Harry Hickes, and Barbara, baptized Feb. 4, 17112; Martha, Jan. 26, 17123; Elizabeth, Feb. 1, 17134; Barbara, Jan. 1, 17167; Ardina, buried Feb. 2, 17167; John, baptized July 14, 1718, buried June 15, 1719; Michael, baptized Sep. 29, 1719; Dame Barbara Hickes, (daughter of Joseph Johnson of Walthamstow, Gent.) buried Aug. 8, 1746; Sr Harry Hickes, Nov. 8, 1755." Sir Harry Hickes was succeeded by his eldest surviving son Robert, who dying unmarried, the title went to John Baptist, son of Charles Hickes, and grandson of Sir William Hickes the younger. Sir John Baptist Hickes died without issue, in 1791. The present baronet is Sir Howe Hickes of Whitcomb in Gloucestershire, son of Sir Michael, and grandson of Sir William Hickes the elder.
"Edward Noel, Knt, and Julian Hickes, married Dec. 12, 1605; Sr Charles Morison, Knt, and Mary Hickes, married Dec. 4, 1606." Sir Edward (afterwards Lord Noel) and Sir Charles Morison married the daughters and coheirs of Baptist Viscount Campden, younger brother of Sir Michael Hickes.
"Charles St. John, Gent. and Sarah Hickes, widow, married Sep. 10, 1611." "George Collerd and Margaret Hickes, married May 4, 1613."
"Sr Robert Quarles, Knt, and Mrs Mary Parvis, daughter to the Lady Hickes, married May 6, 1617."
"Elizabeth, daughter of Sr Thomas Baker, baptized Ap. 18, 1608."
Three children at a birth.
"John, son, and Barbara and Elizabeth, daughters of Richard Farrington, baptized July 1, 1611."
Sr Thos Williams, buried Nov. 12, 1625."
"Thomas Whitmore, Esq. son of Sr William Whitmore of Shropshire, and Elizabeth, daughter of Sr William Acton, Knt and Alderman, married Ap. 16, 1635."
"Mary, daughter of Sr Thomas Stanley, baptized June 9, 1636."
"William, son of Sr Henry Franklin, Knt, baptized Oct. 1, 1639; Luce, Sep. 9, 1640, buried Sep. 12; Anne, his daughter, buried July 8, 1641."
"The young Ld Chichester (fn. 83) was buried Dec. 29, 1660."
"The Rt Hon. Charles Earl of Norwich, buried Mar. 7, 16701; the Rt Hon. Alice Countess of Norwich, July 23, 1680 (fn. 84)."
"Rowland, son of Sr Rowland Ainsworth, Knt, and Eleanora, baptized July 31, 1693; Eleanora, their daughter, Sep. 11, 1696."
Sr Robert Beachcroft, Knt, and Mrs Margaret Perry, widow, married Jan. 17, 17056; Sr Robert Beachcroft, buried June 7, 1721; Margaret Lady Beachcroft, Dec. 15, 1727."
"Dame Hester, wife of Sr Gilbert Heathcote (fn. 85), buried Oct. 6, 1714; Frances, daughter of Sr Gilbert, Dec. 31, 1731; Henrietta, daughter of Sr John Heathcote, Bart, Sep. 21, 1733; Maria, Nov. 6, 1733."
"William Bowyer, buried Nov. 25, 1777." This learned and eminent printer was born in London, in the year 1699. In 1716, he was admitted a sizar of St. John's College in Cambridge. In 1722, he entered into business with his father, and during more than half a century the productions of many of the most distinguished writers of this country issued from his press. The education which he had received at the university gave him peculiar advantages, and enabled him to correct the works of his learned friends, particularly in the Greek language, wherein he was eminently conversant, as appears by his edition of the Greek Testament, and his conjectures upon various passages of that book. Mr. Bowyer was for many years printer of the Votes of the House of Commons, and printer to the Society of Antiquaries, of which he was a member. The first publication of his own was the review of a book intitled, Reliqui Baxterian, anno 1726; he afterwards published several tracts; viz. Answer to a Sermon by William Bowman, vicar of Dewsbury, 1731; tract on the Jews' Naturalization Bill, 1753; on the Greek and Roman money, in answer to Mr. Raper, 1772; and tracts on the Hebrew months, sabbatical years, and years of Jubilee. He communicated several papers to the Society of Antiquaries, and was editor of some volumes of Swift's Works, Trapp's Lectures, &c. &c. He assisted many of his friends also with prefaces and notes. Mr. Bowyer died on the 18th of Nov. 1777, and was buried, pursuant to his own request, with his relations at Leyton; where a monument was erected to the memory of himself and his father (fn. 86), at the expence of Mr. John Nichols, who had been his apprentice and partner, and is now his successor. Anecdotes of Mr. Bowyer and his learned friends (whence the above short account has been taken) were published by Mr. Nichols, in one volume quarto (1782).
Instances of Longevity.
"Old Jane Hutton, wife of John Hutton, aged 95, buried June 12, 1672; Old John Hutton of Leytonstone, aged 106 years, buried Feb. 8, 167980; Robert Church, aged a hundred years wanting one, buried May 24, 1692; Philip Ball, aged 92, Mar. 16, 17134; Sarah Walker, widow, aged 99, Nov. 26, 1724." There is a woman now living in the alms-houses in her 96th year.
Sir Thomas Roe.
The celebrated Sir Thomas Roe or Rowe, ambassador to the Great Mogul, was a native of Leyton (fn. 87).
Robert Ozler, by his will bearing date 1697, bequeathed the sum of 300l. for building a free-school, and settled a salary of 12l. per annum on the master, for teaching poor children of this parish and Walthamstow. The school was built at Leyton. In 1710, it was ordered by the governors, that the master should teach seven children of each parish. In 1787, on the election of a new master, the school-house having been then lately rebuilt, the number of boys was increased from seven to ten of each parish.
There is also at Leyton a school of industry for thirty girls, established in Dec. 1794, and four Sunday-schools, in which are 120 children; these schools are supported by voluntary subscriptions (fn. 88).
John Smith, merchant, in the year 1656, founded alms-houses for eight poor persons, and endowed them with 20l. per annum. Mr. Charles Phillips, anno 1747, bequeathed 12l. per annum to these alms-houses; and the same year Mr. John Phillips his brother gave, by deed, 6l. per annum, 40s of which he directed to be distributed in coals, the remainder in money.
Henry Archer, by his will bearing date 1585, gave 1l. per annum to be distributed among such poor persons as should attend divine service on Whitsunday. Robert Rampston, who died the same year, gave 1l. per annum to the poor. Sir William Hickes, who died in 1702, gave the sum of 50l. to the poor, to which his widow, in 1707, added 20l.; provided that the whole should be laid out in lands, and the rent distributed yearly in bread. It now produces 6l. 10s. Thomas Fowell, Esq. anno 1766, gave 100l. 3 per cent. reduced annuities for bread. This, with the benefactions of Sir William and Lady Hickes, and 2l. 10s. arising from several small donations, makes in the whole 12l. per annum, which is distributed in bread weekly.
At Leytonstone, which is the principal hamlet in this parish, are several good houses, inhabited principally by merchants. The population is about a third of that of the whole parish. The chapel of ease has been already mentioned. In a collection of poems (in folio) in the British Museum, is one intitled "Leightonstone Air," published in 1702, by J. H. a schoolmaster, who had taken a capacious house in this hamlet for a Latin boarding-school. He was then engaged (as he says in his Preface) in modelling a new Latin and English Dictionary.
The Temple-mills, belonging formerly to the Knights Templars, and afterwards to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, stand partly in this parish, and partly in that of Westham. In the year 1720, they were used for brass works. Two pamphlets were published in 1721, one in favour of, and the other against the management of these works. The mills are now employed in the manufacture of sheet-lead.