The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 112v] In the parish of St. Mildrethe Bredstret
593. Note: William the Chamberlain granted to Richard prior and convent 12s. of quit rent from certain land in the parish of St. Mildred as appears by Charter Seventeen (fn. 1) of several parishes.
594. Recognisance of Roger son of Richard son of John that he owes 12s. p.a. of quit rent which William the Chamberlain formerly gave as dower (maritagium) to Margaret his daughter given in marriage to Gilbert de Podyngden, from certain of Roger's land with stone houses built thereon in the parish of St. Mildred Virgin at the corner of Bredstret paying to the canons for ever 12s. p.a.; sealed; for this recognisance and confirmation the canons gave the grantor 2 marks of silver; done at London 4 Apr. 1243; witnesses, John Viel, John de Codres, Laurence Corner.
595. [List of those paying quit rent]: Roger son of Roger; William le Cornur; William le Sta(u)ndon; Roger Palmer, 1 and 19 Ed. II and 1 and 5 Ed. III who bequeathed all the aforesaid to Beatrice his wife, as appears by his testament (fn. 2) enrolled 5 Ed. III and then the land was divided for Nicholas Tamworth paid 6s. p.a. and John Horwode 6s. p.a., 33 Ed. III: after N. Tamworth; James Cok, 49 Ed. III; Arnold Pykeneye, 3 and 8 Ric. II; John Langhorne, 6 Hy. IV; Alice Langhorne, 2 Hy. V; Thomas Frowyk or Shadword, Hy. VI (fn. 3) [no year stated]: after John Horwode; William de Walcli(v)e as appears by charter enrolled 34 Ed. III; Robert Rois, 48 Ed. III; Isabel Newport, 3 and 8 Ric. II; Adam Walcreth, 11 Hy. IV; Alan Everhard, 12 Hy. IV; Sayerus Acres, 11 Hy. VI; (fn. 3) John Acres 33 Hy. VI (fn. 3) and these tenements are situated adjacent on the north side of Knyghtryderlane.
596. [1253–4] Exchange between John prior and convent and William Viel, citizen, by which Holy Trinity quitclaimed to William 7s. p.a. of quit rent which he was accustomed to pay from a tenement once of Elias le Kant(er) in the parish of St. Augustine by St. Paul's churchyard; for which quitclaim William gave to the canons 5s. p.a. of quit rent from two shops in the parish of St. Mildred between the tenement that was of Nicholas le Juvene and the lane through which there is a way (per quam itur) opposite the church of St. Margaret; if the rent falls into arrears, the canons are allowed to take naam without any impediment and to distrain on the tenement [f. 113] in the parish of St. Augustine until they are satisfied; chirograph sealed; witnesses, Nicholas Bat, mayor, Richard Picard, John Norhamtone, sheriffs.
C.A.D., i, A 1605.
597. [List of those paying rent]: William Viel; Martin Cup(gher); John Viel, 1 and 5 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; John Wodgate, 30 Ed. III; Richard Chatisle, 48 Ed. III; Isabel Norable, 49 Ed. III and 8 Ric. II; William Rasyn, 22 Ric. II, 6 Hy. IV and 2 Hy. V; Thomas Lovett and the limits of this tenement are shown in the charter.
598. Total of this parish 17s. and it is tithed at this in the king's exemplification.