Parishes (East Ward): All Saints', Orton

The Later Records Relating To North Westmorland Or the Barony of Appleby. Originally published by Titus Wilson and Son, Kendal, 1932.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


John F Curwen, 'Parishes (East Ward): All Saints', Orton', The Later Records Relating To North Westmorland Or the Barony of Appleby, (Kendal, 1932), pp. 195-213. British History Online [accessed 25 June 2024].

John F Curwen. "Parishes (East Ward): All Saints', Orton", in The Later Records Relating To North Westmorland Or the Barony of Appleby, (Kendal, 1932) 195-213. British History Online, accessed June 25, 2024,

Curwen, John F. "Parishes (East Ward): All Saints', Orton", The Later Records Relating To North Westmorland Or the Barony of Appleby, (Kendal, 1932). 195-213. British History Online. Web. 25 June 2024,

In this section


Including the parish of Tebay and the Townships of Langdale, Bretherdale and Birkbeck Fells.


Within this parish of Sker-Overton, so named from the Scar under which it stands, we have a Stone Circle, "Gamelands," north-west of Raisbeck; Tumuli (1) north-west of Raisgill Hall, (2) north of Broadfell, (3) half a mile north-west of Sunbiggin, (4) half a mile north-east of Sunbiggin; a Roman Road called "Wicker Street," for which see under Crosby Ravensworth; two Motte and Bailey strongholds (1) Greenholme which lies in the angle formed by the confluence of the Dorothy Beck on the west with the Birkbeck on the north, (2) and Castle Howe on the river Lune at Tebay, the seat of the ancient family of Tybai; the Beacon on the Scar made statutory in 1403 and which flashed between Penrith, Stainmore and Whinfell; lastly the Brandreth or boundary Stone measuring 47 by 33 by 18 inches and which stands as the lowest step to a stile a little south of the Castle Howe farm.


Between the years 1154 and 1163 Gamel de Pennington granted the churches of Pennington, Muncaster and Sker-Overton, with the appurtenances thereof to the priory of Conishead, and the same was confirmed by John Bartholomew, prior of Carlisle, in the time of Hugh, 3rd Bishop of Carlisle (1219–1223). Alan son of Alan de Pennington further granted certain lands called the "Frerebiggins" in Overton to the same canons. Dr. Burn says that "below Frerebiggins there is a place called Frere-mire and there is a parcel of turbary called Frere-moss" which probably received their names from having belonged to the Friars.

In 1263 there was a composition made between the Bishop of Carlisle and the Prior of Conishead concerning the vicarage. "To all Christian people etc. Robert (de Chauncy), by divine permission an humble minister of the church of Carlisle, etc. We being called to the valuation of the perpetual vicarage of Orton in our diocese by the authority of the Pope . . . had fully made enquiry touching the value by men worthy of belief, sworn to this and examined. The prior of Conishead, for himself and his convent, appearing in our presence, wholly submitted to an ordinance as to the said valuation. We, therefore, having prayed for the grace of the Holy Ghost, and having taken a just estimate of the value of the said benefice, do rate to the perpetual vicarage of the said church, four pounds and fourteen shillings, and instead of the said sum of money, we do assign two dwelling houses, with two oxgangs of land with all their easements and appurtenances whatsoever."

But there was also a chapel here appropriated to Whitby, for in 1310, William prior of Conyngesheved, Richard de Gosefeld canon of that house, and others were charged with entering the abbot of Whitby's Chapel at Overton, co. Westmorland, carrying away his goods, and assaulting his monks, men and servants. Cal. Pat. Rolls, 1310, p. 255. Dr. Burn refers to a place called "The Chapel about half a mile south from the church" and to a Lady Well there "which was reported to have salutary effects in divers maladies."

In the "Antique Taxatio Ecclesiastica" of Pope Nicholas IV made in the year 1291 the Church is valued at £40 and the Vicarage at £10, but by the "Novo Taxatio" of Pope Clement v, made in 1318, the value is reduced to £5. See page 22. The "Valor Ecclesiasticus" made by order of Parliament, 26 Henry VIII, 1535, values the church thus:—

Orton Vicarage Church. Thomas Lorde, incumbent.
The Rectory is appropriated to the Priory of Conishead.
The said Vicarage is worth in—
Mansion with glebe and a tenement £1 4 0
Tithes of lamb and wool 12 0 0
" flax and hemp 3 4
Oblations and the lesser fees as in the Easter Book 4 0 0
£17 7 4
Reprisals to wit—
Synodals, 5s; and Procurations 5s. 10 0
Clear annual value £16 17 4
A tenth part whereof 1 13

The Commonwealth Survey of 1657 is as follows:—

That the right of presentation of the church is jointly in the parishioners who have purchased the tithe corn and hay of the whole parish. That Mr. George Fothergill is the present incumbent there and hath for his maintenance the tithes of wool and lamb and other small tithes worth by the year £58, and likewise the glebe land which is worth by the year £4. That the town of Orton is a Market Town.

During the incumbency of John Corney (1609–1643) the Rectory and advowson were sold by the Crown to Francis Morice and Francis Phelips, both of London. They in 1618 resold them to the said John Corney, Edmund Branthwaite and Philip Winster for the sum of £570, in trust for the landowners within the parish. Twelve feoffees were elected to present such person to the vicarage as should be chosen by the majority of the land owners, at a meeting called for that purpose within three months next after a vacancy should occur in the living. But after the death of John Corney three parishioners, not being feoffees, took upon themselves the election of a Parliamentarian, called Mr. Fetherstonhaugh, and caused him to be instituted without the consent of a public meeting of the landowners. In the meantime the feoffees had chosen an Episcopalian, called George Fothergill, by a majority of 145 parishioners. Great strife arose when Fetherstonehaugh upon the authority of his institution broke open the church door to take forcible possession, and for nine weeks the parishioners had to watch the church lest he should continue in possession. It was not a religious strife but merely one for the preservation of the parishioners right to make their own choice, a right for which they had paid a considerable sum of money. Finally George Fothergill was instituted. In December, 1651, he compounded for his First Fruits, in May, 1654, he was approved of by the Cromwellian Commissioners and his ministry appears to have been continuous until his removal to Warsop in 1663.

In 1877 the chancel was rebuilt and the nave restored.

A list of the Incumbents whose names have been met with during the present research.

1294– Rich. de Ravenglass
1294– Richard de Castro Bernardi
1303– Henry
1535– Thomas Lorde
        –d.1573 Philip Machel
1573–d.1594 Robert Corney
1594–d.1595 Henry Atkinson
1595– Nicholas Deane
1609–d.1643 John Corney
1643–r.1663 George Forthergill
1663–d.1703 Roger Kenyon
1704–d.1736 Thomas Nelson
1736–d.1785 Richard Burn
1785–1802 John Redman
1802–1849 Robert Milner
1849– John S. Sisson
1882– Edward Holme


This church was erected in 1880 at a cost of £1976 from the design of Charles J. Ferguson. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1884 and the civil parish on 1 April, 1897.


Orton School.

This school appears to have originated in private subscription about the year 1733. From the fund then raised a school-house was built, which continued to be used for the purposes of education until the year 1809, when, being considered too small and the situation bad, a new house was built elsewhere at the expense of about £210, of which Miss Margaret Holme contributed £135. The parish paid £3 a year rent for the old school-house and the money thus raised went to paying a singing master, for teaching singing in the church.

It was further endowed with £400 by the will of Frances Wardale, dated 9 November, 1781; with a moiety of £200 by the will of Mary Dalton, dated in 1831; with £700 by the will of Margaret Holme, dated in 1839; and with £100 by the will of Mark Oldman, dated in 1842.

The school-house was rebuilt in 1808–9.

Greenholme and Bretherdale School.

Founded and endowed by George Gibson in his will dated 23 November, 1733, who gave £400 bank stock for a free school in Bretherdale or Birkbeck Fells. The stock produced £573. 10. 9 and was laid out with a further gift of £20 from Mr. Dent in purchase of a farm of about 40 acres on 3 December, 1773.

The master reported on 10 November, 1735, that he approved a plan for building the school, to cost £52. 10s. on a corner site called Eskew Greenholme and that he had approved the orders for the regulation of the school. In 1861 Thomas Hayton rebuilt the place, since which time it has been used also as a chapel for the neighbourhood. George Gibson endowed it with 46 acres of land which produced about £54 yearly.

Tebay School.

Founded and endowed by Robert Adamson on 30 April, 1672, who gave certain houses and 24 acres of land called "Ormandie Biggin" and "Blackett Bottom," in the manor of Grayrigg, for the maintenance of a school master whether of University degree or a county scholar. He stipulated that all his relations and friends, all inhabitants of Roundthwaite, all poor people in the parish of Orton, all foreigners whatsoever and all contributors to the school should have their children taught free. The scheme of 1863 restricted the number of free scholars to 30.

Indenture made 11 December, 1863, between Stephen Brunskill of Kendal of the 1st part; Harry Arnold of the same of the 2nd part; Stephen Brunskill, Edward Branthwaite of Kendal, John Sharp, Edward Greenhow Milner, Abraham Burra, William Atkinson, Robert Sharp, George Potter, all of Orton, yeomen, Rev. John Septimus Sisson, vicar of Orton, Richard Burn of Orton Hall, James Cropper of Ellergreen and John Jowitt Wilson of Kendal of the 3rd part, being acting trustees of a charity school called Tebay School; whereas the present school house and accommodation have been found inadequate owing to the great increase of the railway population, a new school has been lately built, now the said Brunskill grants to Harry Arnold a piece of land, parcel of an enclosure called Highgate in the township of Tebay, bounded on the east by Tebay Common, on the north by the turnpike road from Kendal to Kirkby Stephen, on the west and south by other parts of the said enclosure, with all buildings to the use of the said Trustees for the said school. Close Roll, 16158, pt. 163, n. 7. The two Railway Companies assisted with the cost of erecting the school and master's residence. The school was enlarged in 1892.


This barrier is described as a plessicium, or slashed hedge, which served as a stockade against the Scots, and is so named in the following grant, dated about 1180, when its origin and use must have been well known. "Grant by William de Lancaster 11 to the monks of St. Mary at Byland, of his part of Borgheredala (Borrowdale) by the great way which goes by Ernestan (Eagle-stone) to the plessicium which has been made on account of the Scots; and by the brow of the hill of Bannisdale, which is towards Borrowdale, as long as Bannisdale continues, and so to Borrowdale Head and so to the bounds of Westmorland, in perpetual alms, and for the settlement of the complaint which Wimund, late Bishop of the Isles, had against the father of the grantor." (Hist. MSS. Com., 10th Report, iv, 323.).

The precise position of this dyke has not been ascertained as yet, but from "Hollow Gate," half way between Kendal and Shap, there is a track some four miles across the moor eastward known as "Breasthigh," which clearly has had a rampart on its northern bank noticable near the ruins of Knott House and just beyond and which comes out near Tebay where there is a farm called "The Dyke." On the other hand it will be observed that the land to the northward rises considerably so that the rampart could be of little strategic strength against the Scots, and these place names may refer only to an ancient park of 100 acres which William L'Engleys received licence to impark in Tebay and Roundthwaite by grant of 12 Edward III.


Petty or Orton Old Hall.

A low two storeyed building. Over the front door appear the initials and date, G.B. 1604 M.B., commemorating the rebuilding by George Birkbeck. During the 17th century the Hall was purchased by the Petty family. A panel over a fireplace bears his arms, disallowed by Dugdale, viz.: three castles with a pair of compasses, together with the initials and date C.M.P. 1689. There is a release of 3 November, 1721, by Mary Petty to dower and thirds in Orton Hall in favour of her son Christopher. The Hall then passed to a branch of the Garnett family, of whom one William devised the property to the right heirs of Mary Holme and John Garnett Holme, who sold it to Dr. Thomas Gibson, the author of Legends and Historical Notes.

Orton Hall.

Originally built by Dr. Burn who died in 1785. It was greatly enlarged and modernized by Harvey Goodwin, between the years 1898 and 1900. It is not certain where the ancient manor house stood. Nicolson and Burn think that it was near the church, on the south side, where ruins used to be seen and they point out that the hill ascending to the church on that side is to this day called Hall-hill Brow.

Raisgill Hall.

This Hall was owned and occupied by the Blenkinsop family and where they kept their courts.


Barugh Bridge.

This bridge is near Fawcett Mill and carries a road over Raisbeck which flows from Sunbiggin Tarn. It has a span of 21 feet and was rebuilt at a cost of £231. In 1904 an application was made to the County Council for a contribution towards the cost. The Surveyor reported that there was but little traffic over it and that therefore there was no public call upon the county.

Carlingill Low, on the road between Low Borrow Bridge and Sedbergh.

Whereas complaint has been made that a certain public bridge called Low Carlingill Bridge, situate half in the county of York and half in the East Ward of Westmorland, is totally fallen down and demolished, and it appearing that the same ought to be supported, repaired or rebuilt at a concurrent expense of the said counties, it was ordered on 4 May, 1734, that the High Constable in conjunction with the Surveyor of Bridges in the North Riding do contract for the rebuilding of the said bridge. On 3 April, 1780, Quarter Sessions ordered that the High Constable of the East Ward do view Low Carlingill Bridge and contract for the rebuilding of the half belonging to Westmorland. On 1 July, 1864, it was reported that the bridge is only 11 feet in width and that 60 yards of the approach at the Westmorland end runs on the edge of a steep precipice. In the late Spring a landslip took place which reduced the width of the road to 8 feet causing great danger.

Coatflat, over Chapel Beck, between Orton and Raisbeck.

On 24 April, 1742, there was a presentment made to Quarter Sessions that this was a public one and that it needed repair at the south-east end and that the same ought to be done at the expense of the County. On 22 April, 1745, it was further presented that the water course below the bridge was not well and sufficiently scoured to the common nuisance of his majesty's subjects passing upon the highway and that John Miller of Ashfell, yeom., by reason of his tenure of lands ought to repair, scour and cleanse the same as often as occasion required. On 28 October, 1752, the High Constable was ordered to repair the bridge and 300 feet at each end thereof, it being a public bridge. On 26 May, 1891, it was reported to the County Council that the bridge was only 8 feet 6 inches in width and that the parapets were only 2 feet high, but that there was very little traffic over it.

Dorothy, over the Bretherdale Beck on the Pikestone Lane between Greenholme and Roundthwaite.

This bridge appears on the list of County Bridges made in the year 1825. It was reported to the County Council on 26 May, 1891, as being only 7 feet 6 inches wide, but that it was not greatly used.

Ellergill, over Ellergill Beck near Gaisgill Railway Station on the road between Tebay and K. Stephen.

On 16 July, 1717, this bridge was presented to Quarter Sessions as being in great decay for want of repair. On 16 July, 1745, the Justices ordered the High Constables to inform themselves whether Ellergill Bridge be one of the public bridges of the County, whereupon they reported on 10 August that it was. On 12 January, 1778, the bridge with 300 feet at each end, was presented as in great decay and too narrow and that it ought to be repaired and widened at the expense of the County.


On 18 July, 1649, at the Assize held at Appleby, sixteen bridges were presented as in decay, Greenholme Bridge being one of them, when it was ordered that 4s. in the pound be assessed and levied upon the whole County towards the repair of the same. This bridge appears upon the list of public bridges made on 28 April, 1679. On 1 April, 1695, upon a petition to Quarter Sessions made by the inhabitants of Birkbeck Fells shewing that this bridge had fallen down to their very great inconvenience, it was ordered on 25 April following that 2d. in the pound be assessed and levied for erecting a new stone bridge in its place. Richard Ogden contracted to build it for £8. On 26 May, 1891, it was reported that this bridge is only 8½ feet wide with parapets 2½ feet high, and that the schoolmaster of the adjoining school was afraid that accidents might happen to the children if the parapets were not raised.

High Borrow, or Huck's Bridge.

John Ogilby's plan of the main road north and south, made in the year 1675 shows it crossing the "Burrow flu" at the old High Borrow bridge and following the west bank of Crookdale Beck to Hawse Foot. On 16 January, 1712–3, the bridge was presented to Quarter Sessions as being very ruinous. On 14 December, 1745, the Deputy Lieutenants in obedience to the command of the Duke, raised a party to demolish the bridge in order to make the road from Kendal to Shap impassable for artillery and wheel carriages. Therefore on 15 July, 1746, it became necessary for the Justices to order the High Constables to view and contract for the repair of both this bridge and Crookdale Bridge at as low a rate as possible. On 19 April, 1819, a presentment was made that this bridge in the King's highway from Kirkby Kendal to Shap was very ruinous, broken and in great decay and that the inhabitants of the County—half being in the Bottom and half in the Barony—ought to repair the same. Again on 12 January, 1824, it was presented that "High Borrow Bridge otherwise called Huck's Bridge" was very ruinous and also very narrow and incommodious; and the jurors also present that a certain part of the King's highway beginning at the south end of the said bridge and continued towards the town of K. Kendal for the length of 300 feet and a breadth of 18 feet, also another part beginning at the north end towards Shap for 300 feet and a breadth of 18 feet is in great decay.

On 17 October, 1825, the High Constables were ordered to produce a plan of the intended alterations and improvements; and at the next Sessions, 13 January, it was ordered that a committee with Francis Webster, architect, do examine the state of the bridge and report what alterations in their opinion ought to be made by rebuilding or otherwise. On 28 January, 1826, it was resolved that as the Trustees of the Heron Syke Road have requested Mr. McAdam to make a plan and estimate of an entire new road to avoid Huck's Hill, the question as to the rebuilding of High Borrow Bridge otherwise Huck's Bridge be postponed, but that F. Webster be asked to furnish an estimate of the expense of the necessary repairs. On 5 March, 1891, it was reported that Huck's Bridge is situate on the old road which is now a bye-road; it has been built at twice. It has one arch of 23 feet 7 inches span with a width of roadway between the parapets of 10 feet.

Langdale Bridge over the Langdale Beck on the road between Gaisgill and K. Stephen.

On 27 May, 1686, the High Constables estimated to Quarter Sessions that it would cost £35 to build and erect Langdale Bridge.

Low Borrow Bridge, over the Lune on the road between Appleby and Kendal.

This bridge appears upon the list of public bridges made on 28 April, 1679. On 2 May, 1712, a presentment was made to Quarter Sessions that this bridge standing both in the Barony of Kendale and the Bottom of Westmorland, was in decay. On 17 May an order was issued to the High Constables to repair that part which belongs to the Bottom at the same time as the Barony repaired their part. The bridge appears upon the list of public county bridges made in the year 1825.

Lune Bridge, over the Lune on the road between Tebay and Low Borrow Bridge.

In 1379 there was a grant made to James de Pykeryng, knt., and John de Yorke, in aid of the bridge of Stangerwath in Killington over the water of Lone, of pontage for three years from things saleable coming from the priory of Hornby to the bridge called "Lonesbrig" over Tybay. Cal. Pat. Rolls, 1379, p. 354.

Thomas de Sandford in his will dated 29 August, 1380, bequeaths "pontem inter Tybay at Routhwayt xiijs. iiijd." Testa. Karl., 143.

At the Assize held at Appleby on 18 July, 1649, sixteen bridges were presented as being in decay after the Civil War, Lune Bridge being one of them, when it was ordered that 4s. in the pound be assessed and levied upon the whole County towards the repair of the same bridges. It appears upon the list of public bridges made on 28 April, 1679. On 17 April, 1702, it was presented as being in decay. In 1911 it was cement grouted.

Raisbeck Bottom Bridge, over Rais Beck.

In 1904 an application was made to the County Council for a contribution towards the cost of rebuilding this bridge. It has a span of 14 feet, but the Surveyor reported that there was practically no traffic over it and therefore there was no public call upon the County.

Raisgill Hall Bridge, over the Lune.

Forasmuch as the bridge over the Lune at Raisgill Hall in Orton is very ruinous and in great decay to the danger of passengers who have occasion to pass over the same, and as the inhabitants have petitioned the Court to have it repaired at the public expense, but it not appearing that it is public nor who ought to repair it, some supposing it to have been erected for private use; it was ordered on 5 October, 1724, that the bridge be viewed by two of the Justices residing near and by the High Constables in order to discover if possible who ought to be at the charge of repairing the same and report their opinion to the next Court. The Justices reported that the bridge was utterly decayed but that they could not be informed that it was ever reputed to be a county bridge nor did they think it reasonable that the same should be as no public road or King's highway led thereto. From a sketch made by Thomas Bland of Reagill in 1843, the bridge is shown as consisting of one rough stone arch, grass covered, and without any parapet walls.

Randall Bridge.

Upon a presentment to Quarter Sessions, made on 5 October, 1702, that the public bridge called Randall in Orton is ruinous and in decay, it was ordered on 13 July, 1703, that the High Constable of the East Ward do contract for its efficient repair.

Rayne Bridge, over the Lune on the road between Gaisgill and K. Stephen.

On 24 August, 1757, Quarter Sessions ordered that the High Constables do contract for the repair of Rayne Bridge, it being one of the public bridges belonging to the county. On 13 February, 1902, it was reported to the County Council that the bridge was in a very serious condition. The gradient of the approach on the Raisbeck side is steep and the turn on to the bridge is almost a right angle. The whole bridge must be taken down and a new skew bridge be built. This rebuilding was approved of in May following and it was resolved that William Grisenthwaite's tender amounting to £1991. 9. 6 be accepted. During the progress of the work the temporary bridge was washed down in November, re-erected and again washed down as far as Lowgill in the January following. The works were completed satisfactorily in August, 1903, at a cost of £2161. 6. 10.

Salterwath Bridge, over the Lune on the road between Low Borrow Bridge and Sedbergh.

The Roman Road came up the valley of the Lune from Ingmire Hall and kept on the eastern side of the river and along the sloping sides of Howgill Fell as far as this ford at Salterwath when it crossed the Lune.

On 15 July, 1811, this bridge was presented to Quarter Sessions as lying between the market towns of Orton and Sedbergh and, as being in great decay broken and ruinous, the county ought to repair and amend it. On 11 December, 1824, the taking down and rebuilding a new bridge here was let to Robert Gowling for £550. It appears upon the list of public county bridges made in the year 1825.

Scales Bridge, over the Birk Beck near Greenholme.

On 18 July, 1649, at the Assize held at Appleby, sixteen bridges were presented as in decay, Scales Bridge being one of them, when it was ordered that 4s. in the pound be assessed and levied upon the whole County for the repair of the same. It appears upon the list of public bridges made on 28 April, 1679. In 1733 an order was issued from Quarter Sessions for the repair of this bridge. On 18 April, 1752 there was a further order issued to the High Constables to contract for the repair of the bridge, it being a public one. But on 15 July, 1755, some doubt was expressed as to its being a public bridge, when it was ordered that the Clerk of the Peace should make search in the Rolls of the Sessions to see if it were one or not. However on 22 November following the order to repair the bridge at the public expense was renewed. On 10 October, 1794 the High Constables were ordered to contract for the rebuilding of Scales Bridge in the parish of Orton, the old bridge having been washed away by the late heavy floods. For some reason or other this bridge does not appear upon the list of public bridges made in 1825, neither does it now in the County Council list.

Tebay Bridge, over the Lune on the road between Tebay and Orton.

On 18 July, 1649, this bridge was found to be one of the sixteen, as above, that were in decay. Tebay Bridge appears upon the list of public bridges made on 28 April, 1679. On 1 October, 1750, the High Constables were ordered to view this bridge and contract for its repair together with the 300 feet of roadway at either end of it. An order which was again renewed on 28 October, 1752.

Tebay Gill Bridge, alias Howbridge, over Tebay Gill on the road between Tebay and K. Stephen.

On 16 July, 1717, a presentment was made to Quarter Sessions that this bridge was in decay for want of repair. Again on 6 April, 1741, it was presented as a public bridge which ought to be repaired at the expense of the county.


1293–4 7 February.

The bishop granted the custody of the then vacant vicarage of Orton to Richard de Ravenglass, a canon of Conishead; and on 16 June following the prior and convent of Conishead presented Richard de Castro Bernardi.

1302–3 4 February.

Henry, vicar of Orton, had to find a bond of 20 marks to the bishop, to be forfeited in case of incontinence on his part. Register of Bp. Halton.

1378. Trinity.

William White, by Adam Crosseby his attorney, appeared against William Jude in a plea wherefore with force and arms they took and carried away from "Boroughdale Rothery" three hundred sheep belonging to the said William White. De Banco Rolls, 471, m. 82d.; 472, m. 495d.; 473, m. 202.

1378 Trinity.

William White, by Adam Crosseby his attorney, against William de Bretherwayt in a plea that he render unto him five marks which he owes. Ibid.


Overton, Bretherdale, Tebay and Langdale paid a fifteenth as subsidy to the king amounting to 113s. 4d. Excheq. Q.R. Miscellaneous Books, vol. 7.


Fine at Westminster on the Quindene of Easter, 13 Elizabeth. Between Alan Bellingham, esquire, of Fawcett Forest, plaintiff, and Thomas Wharton, knt., deforciant, respecting one messuage, four tofts, one garden, 12 acres of land, 8 acres of meadow, 100 acres of pasture, 100 acres of heath and gorse, 100 acres of moor and 60 acres of turbary, with the appurtenances in Tybay and Bretherdale. Thomas acknowledged the tenement to be the right of Alan and quitclaimed it to him and his heirs in perpetuity. For this release Alan gave him forty pounds sterling.


Thomas Barlow was born at Langdale in this year. He was educated at Appleby and Queen's College, Oxford. He was elected Provost of the College in 1657; subsequently he became Margaret Professor of Divinity and archdeacon of Oxford; and in 1675 was appointed to the bishopric of Lincoln which he held till his death in October, 1691.


George Whitehead was born at Sunbiggin in 1635. For his piety and learning, as well as for the variety of his sufferings and the influence that he wielded through his long life, he became the hero of Westmorland Quakers. He was buried in Bunhill Field, London, on 13 January, 1722/3.


Oliver Cromwell, at the request of the Lady Anne Clifford, granted to the inhabitants a licence to hold a fair on the Friday in Whitsun week, and a fair to last a fortnight from Wednesday next after Whitsun week to continue till the day of Simon and Jude following. He likewise granted licence for a Court of Pie-powder and the taking of tolls. The great seal is about 6 inches in diameter and bears the arms of the Commonwealth on one side, and the figure of Cromwell in armour on horseback on the reverse. The Court of "Poudre des Piez," or Pie-powder, was granted to Fairs to determine disputes and to take notice of all manner of disorders committed by the pedlars who attended and got their livelihood by vending goods without having any fixed abode wherein to take " the dust off their feet." In the Borough Laws of Scotland an alien merchant is called" Piedpuldreaux."

1669–1672 Hearth Tax Roll

1669–1672 Hearth Tax Roll, Lay Subsidy 195, n. 73.


Tho. Wharton 2
Alex. Hewettson 2
James Bennett 1
Bryan Birbecke 1
John Gibson 1
Myles Thompson 1
Willm. Jon 5
Hugh Ford 1
Lanc. Thwaites 2
Willm. Robinson 1
Robert Dente 1
James Davy 1
Robt. Biglands 1
Edward Whitehead 2
Edward Bland 1
Thomas Bland 1
Henry Bland 1
John Gibson 1
William Cowley 2
Tho. Hewetson 1
Chr. Lowes 1
Tho. Birbecke 1
Myles Thompson 1
Tho. Birbecke 1
Tho. Whitehead 1
Robt. Birbecke 2
George Sharpe 1
Michael Gibson 1
Mr. Kenyon, vicar 3
Anth. Thompson 1
Tho. Whitehead 1
Robt. Birbecke 1
Willm. Whitehead 1
Tho. Farrow 2
Jefferey Hodgson 1
Edw. Hayton 1
Rich. Atkinson 1


Willm. Hayton 1
Anth. Wharton 1
John Hayton 1
Tho. Dennyson 1
Willm. Atkinson 1
Robt. Sharpe 2
Rich. Perkin 1
Tho. Dennison 1
Tho. Shearman 1
Tho. Hayton 1
Willm. Addyson 1
Tho. Gibson 1
Geo. Jackson 1
wid. Hayton 1
Lanc. Wilson 1
Tho. Thompson 1
Geo. Hayton 1
Rich. Atkinson 1
James Powley 1
Tho. Wright 1
Willm. Noble 1
Tho. Wright 1
Rich. Bracken 1
Tho. Gasgarth 1

Five householders were exempted from paying the tax by Certificate.


John Watter 1
Chr. Atkinson 1
John Crosbye 1
Willm. Wharton 1
John Burbon 1
Rich. Sheepherd 1
Edward Bownass 1
Richard Lickbarrow 1
Robert Wilson 1
John Benson 1
John Cooke 1
Willm. Wharton 1
Christr. Sympson 1

Four householders were exempted from paying the tax by Certificate.


Tho. Dent 1
Robt. Sharpe 1
Steph. Busfeild 1
Anne Fawcett 1
Robt. Fawcett 1
Phillip Whitehead 1
Renard. Fawcett 1
Edward Inman 1
Tho. Wharton 1
Tho. Close 1
James Atkinson 1
Rich. Whitehead 1
Anth. Wharton 1
John Wharton 1
Robt. Wharton 1
Edward Wilson 1
Oliver Whitehead 1
John Thornebarrow 1
Leo. Thornebarrow 1
Robt. Howe 1
Robt. Wilson 1
Tho. Houlme 1
Geo. Thompson 1
Edward Wharton 1
Olivr. Thornebarrow 1
Anne Thornebarrow 1
Robert Houlme 1

Seven householders were exempted from paying the tax by Certificate.


Tho. Birbecke 1
Willm. Spooner 1
Arth. Thwaites 1
John Powley 1
James Ward 1
Willm. Whitehead 1
Edward Whitehead 1
Richard Whitehead 1
John Atkinson 1
Tho. Ward 1
Geo. Wharton 1
James Thompson 1
Geo. Whitehead 1
Tho. Pratt 1
Jo. Overend 1
Geo. Whitehead 1
Edw. Hewettson 1
Rich. Wharton 1
Mich. Boustead 1
John Whitehead 1
Rob. Atkinson 1
Olivr. Birbecke 2
John Thornebarrow 2
Edward Thornebarrow 1
Geo. Birbecke 1
Robt. Crosbye 1
James Thompson 1
John Teaby 1
James Overend 1
Edw. Winter 2
Jefferey Ward 1
Mr. Jho. Birbecke 3
James Ward 2
Nich. Thornebarrow 1
Edward Thompson 1
Willm. Williamson 2

Three householders were exempted from paying the tax by Certificate.


Tho. Hayton 1
Tho. Wharton 1
William Dennyson 1
Tho. Dickinson 1
Robert Binslass 1
Tho. Wharton 1
William Bownass 1
Cuthbert Thornburrow 1
William Hutchinson 1
William Dany 1
Tho. Gibson 1
Edward Thornbarrow 1
Lancelot Wharton 1

Seventeen householders were exempted from paying the tax by Certificate.


John Helme 1
John Atkinson 1
Allan Wilkinson 1
Willm. Atkinson 1
Geo. Thornebarrow 1
Edmond Atkinson 2
Rich. Robinson 1
Geo. Peirson 1
Edward Thompson 1
Chr. Petty 1
James Birbecke 1
Lanc. Varey 1
Chr. Hodgson 1
Jo. Atkinson 1
F. . . Brabon 1
. . . end 1
. . . Crosbye 1
James Shearman 1
Tho. Pott 1
wid. Crosbye 1
Robt. Thornbarrow 1
Geo. Gibson 1
James Thornebarrow 1
Mr. Robt. Braithwaite 2
Tho. Sympson 1
Edw. Braithwaite 1
Willm. Bownass 1
Lanc. Gathropp 1
Tho. Wharton 2
Geo. Binslas 1
Myles Houlme 1
Robt. Atkinson 1
Robt. Crosbye 1
James Adamson 1
Willm. Adamson 1
John Smith 1
Tho. Jackson 1
[Rich. ] Sympson 1
T . . . Adamson 1
. . . Atkinson 1
Willm. Dennyson 1
Hugh Gibson 1
Geo. Bownass 1

Nine householders were exempted from paying the tax by Certificate.

1670 29 November.

William Robinson, John Holme and Elizabeth his wife, John Fawcett and Elizabeth his wife, Thomas Atkinson and Agnes his wife, were presented for not attending their parish church or receiving the Holy Communion.


The weekly market on Wednesdays held under a charter of Edward 1, was confirmed in 1678, but before 1777 the day was altered to Friday. On 2 August, 1864, a weekly market for butter and farm produce was started in the Assembly Rooms of the "Three Tuns Inn" and by the 30th the foundation stone of a new Market House was laid by Richard Burn. The building was formally opened on 31 May, 1865.

1682 2 October.

Ordered that the inhabitants of Bretherdale and Birkbeck Fells do repair the highway betwixt Greenholme and Upper Scales upon pain of £5.

1696 31 July.

Roger Kenion, vicar of Orton, signed the anti-Jacobite "Association" that was formed throughout the Kingdom for the protection of William 111.

1697 13 July.

Whereas Edward Addison stands convicted of petty larceny, it is ordered that he be whipped from the High Cross in Appleby through the market on Saturday next between the hours of ten and twelve in the forenoon and set two hours in the stocks at Orton on the Wednesday after between the hours of eleven and one.

1700–1 13 January.

Margaret the wife of John Thornburrow of Tebay being convicted of petty larceny was ordered to sit in the stocks at Orton on Wednesday "sennat" being the 22nd inst. for the space of one hour between twelve and one o'clock.

1706–7 2 January.

Anthony Wharton of Birkbeck Fells was indicted for keeping a greyhound not being qualified so to do.

1707–8 12 January.

Presentment that Bryan Lancaster of Kirkby Kendall, yeo., and others unlawfully assembled to worship in a certain unlicenced place called Le Garth at Orton. The indictment was quashed by order of the Court.

1730 10 April.

Order to the High Constables to view the highway leading to the west end of the public bridge known as Old Lune Bridge in Killington and contract for the repair of such part as lies within 300 feet of the bridge.

1736 4 October.

Richard Burn, B.A. took the oaths of Allegiance and Supremacy, the oath of Abjuration and also subscribed the Declaration against the doctrine of Transubstantiation.

1751 25 May.

Quarter Sessions ordered that the Surveyor of Highways within the parish of Orton should erect a Guide Post at the corner of Mr. Barnes' garden in the highway leading from Orton to Appleby.

1756 26 April.

Ruth Yare of Orton for stealing one blanket of the value of 8d. was ordered to be delivered to the master of the House of Correction and there to be severely whipped.

1787 10 July.

John Brown of Orton being found guilty of stealing a woollen petticoat of the value of 10d. was ordered to be taken to Orton and be then and there stripped naked from the middle upwards and publicly whipped through the market till his body be bloody and then conveyed to his place of settlement.

1789 9 October.

By virtue of an Act of Parliament for dividing and enclosing the open Commons and waste lands within the manor of Orton the Commissioners did award a certain highway between Orton and Greenholme to be made 60 feet wide between the ditches, and so it is that one Richard Alderson, in a certain place called Hayslack Bank within the parish of Orton and so along the said highway towards the town of K. Kendal, did erect a stone wall 100 yards in length upon and across the said highway to the great stoppage and hindrance of his majesty's subjects going and returning on the said highway. On 6 May, 1791, the said Richard Alderson was further indicted that with force and arms he did unlawfully maintain the said wall and also another at a place called Spout Gill between Birkbeck Fells and Bretherdale.

1796 26 November.

For the provision of soldiers to serve in the army, as required by a late Act, the parish of Orton together with the Township of Mallerstang, having 258 inhabited houses had to provide five men, or pay £20 for each man missing from the quota.


The Rev. Robert Milner, vicar of Orton, took the usual oaths on qualifying as a Justice of the Peace.

1833 2 April.

Indenture made between John Dodd of Raisbeck, gent. of the 1st part; Stephen Brunskill of Orton, gent. and many others of the 2nd part; and John Rawson of Appleby, Superintendant Preacher of the Circuit of the 3rd part. Whereas those of the 2nd part have money in their possession for the purchase of land and building a Chapel thereon for the use of Wesleyan Methodists, now this Indenture witnesses that for £4 John Dodd has sold to the said parties all that freehold piece of land as now staked out being 14 yards square at the south-east corner of a close called Plump, adjoining the Town Street of Orton on the west to have and to hold on conditions expressed in an Indenture made re Skircoat Methodist Chapel in the connexion established by John Wesley. Close Roll 11017, pt. 61, n. 12.

1841 30 April.

Indenture made between Elizabeth Harrison of Loupsfell in the parish of Orton, widow, of the 1st part; John Simpson of Orton, blacksmith, and many others of the 2nd part; and Jonathan Barrowclough of Appleby, Superintendant Preacher of the Circuit of the 3rd part. Those of the 2nd part having money in their possession for the purchase of land and building a Chapel thereon for the use of the Wesleyan Methodists, now for £1 the said Elizabeth Harrison has sold to them all that piece of land in Gaisgill, as the same is now marked out, being 41 by 31 feet, bounded by land of Mr. William Stubbs on the east, by land of the said Elizabeth Harrison on the west and south, and the highroad from Kirkby Stephen to Kendal on the north, to hold as by the conditions declared in the Indenture re Skircoat Chapel. Close Roll 12659, pt. 193.


The Orton Agricultural Society was founded and the first Show was held on 20 September, 1860. Richard Burn laid the foundation stone of a new Butter Market on 30 August, 1864.


The Primitive Methodist Mission Chapel at Greenholme was erected in this year.