Z

Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840. Originally published by W.S. Maney and Son Limited, Leeds, 1986.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

'Z', in Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840, (Leeds, 1986) pp. 1015-1016. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/dict-english-furniture-makers/z [accessed 20 April 2024]

Z

Zandra, George, Spear St, Manchester, carver, gilder, picture frame and looking-glass maker (1811–19). Recorded at no. 51 1811–18, and no. 61, 1817–19. [D]

Zanetti, Joseph, 100 King St, Manchester, barometer and looking-glass maker, carver and gilder (1837–40). Declared bankrupt, Sussex Agricultural Express, 4 March 1837. [D]

Zanetti (or Zannette), Vinc(i)ent, Manchester, carver, gilder, looking-glass and picture frame maker, printseller (1804–33). Addresses given at 59 Fountain St, 1804–11; 5 Wrights’ Ct, Market St, 1813–25; 10 Blackfriars Bridge in 1829, and 20 Blackfriars, 1832–33. [D]

Zanetti (or Zannette), Vittorie (or Vittorio), Manchester, carver and gilder, looking-glass manufacturer, picture framer and printseller (1804–17). Addresses given at 87 Market St Lane, 1804–11, and 94 Market St, 1813–17. Partnership with Thomas Agnew announced in Manchester Mercury, 30 September 1817, stating that Zannetti's ‘Repository of Art’ at 94 Market St had been established for ‘the last 20 years’. In 1817 Vittorio Zanetti supplied to Dunham Massey, Cheshire, ‘a frame for a drawing 8′ 7″ @ 3/6 ft.’ costing £1 10s, and ‘Plate glass for do. 22×18’, £2 12s 6d. [D; Dunham Massey papers] In Goodison, Barometers, he is recorded as Vincente Vittore Zanetti at 98 Market St Lane, and later at no. 87. Advertisement, headed ‘Repository of Arts’ is cited, stating that his wares included prints, drawings, paintings, busts of famous men, lamps, sideboards, barometers and thermometers.

Zanetti, Bolongaro & Agnew, 94 Market St, Manchester, carvers and gilders, barometer and looking-glass makers (1816–17). [D]

Zan(n)etti & Agnew, Manchester, carvers, gilders, barometer, thermometer, mathematical and philosophical instrument, looking-glass and picture frame makers, printsellers, publishers, dealers in artist's materials, opticians etc. (1810–40). Addresses given at 94 Market St, 1810–25; 25 Gartside St in 1825; 10 Exchange St, 1825–29; at no. 18, 1832–33 and no. 14, 1836–40. Advertisement in Pigot and Dean's Directory for Manchester and Salford, 1824–25, gives address at the ‘Repository of Arts’, 94 Market St, and announces that they ‘are now carrying on the above branches on a more extensive scale and, being the Manufacturers, they are enabled to offer every article on as liberal terms as any house in the Kingdom. They have always on hand a very great variety of PIER and CHIMNEY GLASSES, MIRRORS, LUSTRES, CANDELABRAS … Upholsterers, Cabinet Makers, Glass Dealers, &c. supplied with Plate Glass of any dimensions; old Glasses polished and silvered; old Frames Repaired, gilt and altered to the present fashions …’. Zanetti & Agnew are named in the Dunham Massey papers on 31 December 1822 receiving £274 9s for regilding and cleaning pictures etc. A billiard table by the firm is at Manchester City Art Gallery. [D; Goodison, Barometers] See Agnew & Zanetti.

Zanfrini & Gugeri, East St, Blandford, Dorset, looking-glass makers (1830). [D]

Zerbon & Co., 18 Mersey St, Liverpool, carvers and gilders (1807). [D]

Zerboni, Battistessa, Moteni & Guanziroli, London, lookingglasses, barometers and thermometers (1835–36). Recorded at 24 Cross St, Hatton Gdn and 13 Baldwins Gdns in 1835; and 106 Hatton Gdn in 1836. [D; Goodison, Barometers]

Zuardri, Joseph, St John's Lane, Smithfield, London, lookingglass frame maker (1840). [GL, Sun MS vol. 576(?), ref. 1335]

Zuraghi, Felix, 9 City Rd, London, looking-glass, barometer and thermometer maker (1832–34). [D; Goodison, Barometers]

Zurn, —, address unrecorded. One of a pair of marquetry commodes at the Vyne, Hants., c. 1760–65, attributed to Pierre Langlois, is inscribed ‘Zurn’, presumably a specialist inlayer. [Conn., vol. 179, 1972, pp. 181–83]