A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
- Cistern without Cripplegate
- City Carlton Club
- City Chambers
- City Companies
- City Ditch
- City Greenyard
- City Mortuary
- City of London Brewery
- City of London Club
- City of London College
- City of London School
- City of London, Artizans' Dwellings
- City Police Office
- City Union Relief Registration Office
- Clare (St.) without Aldgate
- Clare's Key
- Clarke's Rents
- Clarke's Yard
- Clark's Alley, Bishopsgate
- Clark's Buildings
Cistern without Cripplegate
See Conduit without Cripplegate.
City Carlton Club
On the east side of St. Swithin Lane, at Nos. 24-27 (P.O. Directory). In Walbrook Ward. The City Conservative Club.
It was formerly situated on the east side of King William Street at its junction with Abchurch Lane north (O.S. 1875-80).
See New City Chambers.
The successors of the old Guilds (q.v.).
Their privileges as Livery Companies were confirmed by an ordinance of the Lord Mayor and Aldermen, 1685 (H. MSS. Com. 12th Rep. VI. 292).
On the east side of Whitecross Street at No. 18 (P.O. Directory). In Cripplegate Ward Without.
Formerly the City Pound, where stray or offending horses, cattle, and carriages whose drivers had committed any offence, were impounded under Act of Parliament, 1765 (Strype, ed. 1720, I. iii. 92).
Lord Mayor's stables and the Gresham Almshouses were here at one time, but were removed about 1883, and the site utilised for dwellings for married men in the City Police.
First mention : "Green Yard" (Horwood, 1799).
"Three Leg Court" occupied the site in Rocque, 1746, the Green Yard at that time, and in O. and M. 1677, being on the east side of the Second Postern, Basinghall Postern.
See Sun Alley, Golden Lane.
City of London Brewery
On the south side of Cannon Street at No. 89 (P.O. Directory).
There seems to have been a brewhouse on this site from Stow's time. He says it was originally built by one Pot, and afterwards belonged to Henry Campion, and his son Abraham.
In 1799 it belonged to Mr. Calvert.
It now occupies the whole site of the former Haywharf Lane, afterwards Campion Lane. Prior to the erection of the brewery a great part of this site was occupied from early times by the great messuage known as Coldharbour (q.v.).
City of London Club
On the east side of Old Broad Street, at No. 19 (P.O. Directory). In Broad Street Ward.
Erected 1832-3. Architect, P. Hardwick.
Occupied part of the site of the old South Sea House (q.v.) shown in O. and M. 1677, and Rocque, 1746.
City of London College
On the north side of White Street, Moorfields, in Cripplegate Ward Without (P.O. Directory).
An educational and literary institute for men, originally established at Crosby Hall, 1848, and afterwards removed to Sussex Hall, Leadenhall Street, the old hall of the Bricklayers' Company.
New Building in White Street erected 1880-90, on the site of North Street (q.v.).
City of London School
At the east end of the Victoria Embankment, east of John Carpenter Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.O. Directory).
Founded in 1835, and erected on the north side of Honey Lane Market, partly in Cheap Ward and partly in Cripplegate Ward Within. Removed to the Embankment, 1878-80.
Part of the income of the school is derived from certain tenements bequeathed by John Carpenter in the reign of Henry V. for the education and maintenance of poor children in schools, etc.
New building designed 1878. Architects, Messrs. Emanuel and Davis.
In Rocque the site is occupied by Alexander's Yard and the wharves, etc., in O.S. by the City of London Gas Works. In Horwood by the New River Office and Yard.
City of London, Artizans' Dwellings
Artizan Street, Gravel Lane.
These dwellings are on the east side of Artizan Street, between Artizan Street and Middlesex Street, and are erected in several blocks, distinguished by different names : King's Block, Queen's Block, Princes Block, etc.
Commenced in 1884.
They occupy the site of numerous small courts and alleys : Angel Court (Stoney Lane), Coaks Buildings, George Court, Petticoat Square, Nightingale Place, Wood Green Court.
See Artizan Street.
City Police Office
On the West side of Old Jewry at No. 26 (P.O. Directory). In Coleman Street Ward.
First mention : "Police Station," (O.S. 1875).
In Strype's maps, 1720 and 1755, the site is occupied by Mr. Parole's house, and in O. and M. 1677, by Bane's Court.
City Union Relief Registration Office
On the western side of Bartholomew Close, at No. 61, south of the Church of St. Bartholomew the Great (P.O. Directory).
First mention : O.S. 1880.
Clare (St.) without Aldgate
Of the Order of Nuns Minoresses.
Founded by Edmund, Earl of Lancaster, the King's brother, 22 Ed. I. 1294, for nuns of the Order of St. Clare, called Minoresses (Cal. Pat. R. Ed. I. 1292-1301, p. 86).
They belonged to the second Order of St. Francis, and were an offshoot of the Urbanist branch of the Order (Tomlinson's Hist. of the Minories, p.11).
The extent of the Abbey and precincts was about 5 acres, and occupied the site of what was afterwards the Parish of Holy Trinity Minories (ib. p. 3).
After the dissolution of the monasteries, temp. H. VIII., the site of the monastery was granted to the Bishops of Bath, for their town house, and the Bishop leased it out 32 H. VIII., reserving to himself the use of a certain portion of the buildings, whenever he should require it (H. MSS. Com. 10th Rep. and App. 227).
A portion of the Abbey buildings was still in existence in 1797, when fire broke out in the precincts, and destroyed the greater portion of these remains, but the foundations are still in existence under the houses on the south and east sides of Haydon Square.
The Abbey has a peculiar interest, inasmuch as its memory was so long preserved in the privileges conceded to the inhabitants of the precinct of the Minories (which are described in the notice of the parish of Holy Trinity, Minories), and which had their origin in the exemption and privileges granted by the King and the Pope from time to time to the Abbey.
It is to these exemptions that must be ascribed the lasting separation of the Abbey and its precincts from the ward of Portsoken and the jurisdiction of the City of London, as well as its temporary alienation from the parish of St. Botolph, Aldgate, and the jurisdiction of the Bishop of London.
Thus in 1295-6 Papal Bulls released the nuns from episcopal and secular control, taking them into the right and ownership of the Apostolic See, and further freed them from the payment of tenths, etc. (Tomlinson, p. 27).
Royal Patents of 1294 and 1316 released them from common pleas and the payment of tallage (Cal. Pat. Rolls, Ed. I. 1292-1301, p. 86, and ib. Ed. II. 1313-17, p. 449), while in the 2 Henry IV. an Inspeximus charter confirmed all these privileges, with the following additional grant : "That the Abbess and sisters and their successors shall have this liberty, that no Justice, Mayor, sheriff, bailiff, coroner, Escheator, Sergeant, etc., or other officer, shall exercise or cause to be exercised any jurisdiction whatsoever by summons, distraint or arrest or any other jurisdiction within the close or precinct of the said Abbey except for treason and felony touching our crown" (Pat. R. H. IV. quoted by Tomlinson, p. 44).
The bishop's authority was finally restored in 1730, and the parish was reunited to St. Botolph's Aldgate in 1899, but the separation from the ward of Portsoken continues to the present time.
In Petty Wales, in parish of All Hallows Barking, left by Will of Roger James, 1591, to his wife, proved Pr. C.C. (Maskell, All Hallows Barking, p. 71).
Out of St. Catherine's Lane, East Smithfield (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).
Not named in the maps.
In Cock Alley, London Wall (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).
Not named in the maps.
Clark's Alley, Bishopsgate
See Clark's Place and Wrestlers Court.
North out of Snow Hill at No. 52, in Farringdon Ward Without (Horwood, 1799-O.S. 1848-51).
Removed for the formation of Holborn Viaduct and the adjacent streets.