A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
On the east side of Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without opposite Little Britain (S. 311-Strype, 1755).
Cooks admitted to be a Company 22 Ed. IV. (S. 311).
It escaped the Fire of London, but was burnt down in 1771 and not rebuilt (Welch).
Cook's Head Court
See Cock's Head Court.
East out of Long Alley. In Bishopsgate Ward Without, near the northern boundary of the ward (O.S. 1848-51). The western end lay outside the boundary.
Former name : "Cook's Court" (Horwood, 1799-Elmes, 1831).
The site is now occupied by the lines of the North London Railway.
See Comb's Court.
Cooper's Court, East Smithfield
See Hooper's Court.
Cooper's Court, Foster Lane
See Half Moon Alley.
On the west side of Basinghall Street at No. 71 (P.O. Directory). North of the Guildhall Library in Bassishaw Ward.
First mention : S. 291.
The Hall of the Coopers' Company.
Burnt in the Fire 1666 and rebuilt. Again rebuilt 1868. Architect, C. B. Williams.
Last State lottery drawn here 1826.
Company incorporated, 1501.
At the north-east corner of St. Catherine's Square, Tower Hill, opposite St. Katherine's Stairs (Lockie, 1810 and 1816).
Removed for the formation of St. Katherine's Docks.
South out of Crutched Friars, at No. 17, to Trinity Square (P.O. Directory). Partly in Aldgate Ward, the south-eastern end being in a detached portion of Tower Ward (O.S.).
First mention: Horwood, 1799.
Former name : "Woderouelane," 44 H. III. (Anc. Deeds, A. 2656). " Woodroffe Lane" (Stow, 148).
A portion of the old wall of London was found during the rebuilding of some warehouses in Cooper's Row, 106 ft. 6 in. in length, the lower foundations being Roman and the upper portion mediaeval (Povah, p. 11).
Derivation of name : From owners of property in the neighbourhood. The earlier name commemorated the family of Woodroffe, of whom there was a representative still surviving named David, Sheriff in 1554, a great benefactor to the parish of St. Andrew Undershaft (S. 147).
The Drapers' almshouses (q.v.) founded by Sir John Milbourne were standing here 1845.
On Little Tower Hill (P.C. 1732).
Not named in the maps.
A tenement so called in Hogg Lane, formed one of the boundaries of the site of the Abbey of Graces, 34 H. VIII. 1542 (L. and P. H. VIII. Dom. S. XVII. p. 399). Described in 1414 as in the parish of St. Botolph extra Aldgate (Ct. H.W. II., 404).
Site not further identified.
For derivation of name see Coppedhall.
A messuage and shops in the street of Dowgate (Dowgate Hill) in parish of St. John de Walebrock, called "la coppedehall."
Earliest mention : 51 H. III. It was in the occupation of Julian Hardel, and was rented of him by John Renger (Earl. Ch. 50, G. 49).
In 1292 the houses belonged to Roger de Dreyton, clerk, who directed that they should be sold (Ct. H.W. I. 106).
From an Inquis. p.m., taken 19 Ed. II., it appears that the messuage at that time belonged to Ralph de Cobham, and was somewhat in need of repair (Ch. I. p.m. 19 Ed. II. 93).
It is mentioned in the P.R. of H. IV. 1409 (Cal. P.R. H. IV. 1408-10, p. 58).
From the records of the Skinners' Co. it appears that they were in possession of the Copped hall temp. H. III., but that it afterwards became alienated and became the property of Ralph de Cobham. He left it to K. Edward III., who reinstated the Skinners in their ancient purchase about the time the Company was incorporated.
The hall afterwards became the Hall of the Company, and was known as Skinners Hall (q.v.) (Herbert, II. 327).
The Old English word "cop"="top," "summit," and the participle "copped"= polled, tipped, having the head cut off, which would seem to suggest that the original messuage had either been built with a flat roof, or had been reduced to this form by fire or storm, because the form of the name as it appears in the records can hardly be referred to the noun "cop," unless the "d" is regarded as merely intrusive, when the meaning might be that of a hall with a high pinnacled roof, or it might be so named as being on the summit of Dowgate Hill, before its descent to the Thames.
South out of Upper Thames Street at No. 12 to the Thames, in Castle Baynard Ward (Horwood, 1799-Lockie, 1816).
Between Anderson's Wharf and Carron Wharf.
Now Castle Baynard Wharf (q.v.).
East out of St. Dunstan's Hill (O.S. 1875 ; and L.C.C. List, 1901).
First mention : Elmes, 1831.
Former names : "St. Dunstan's Court" (O. and M. 1677). "Coffin Court" (Strype, 1720-Boyle, 1799). "Coffin's Court" (Rocque, 1746).
A tenement so called in parish of St. Andrew by the Wardrobe, 1622 (Ct. H.W. II. 747). No further reference.
South out of London Wall at No. 50 to Copthall Buildings (P.O. Directory). In Broad Street Ward and Coleman Street Ward.
Formed May, 1890.
It occupies the site of "Leathersellers Buildings" and "Little Bell Alley" (q.v.).
East out of the southern end of Copthall Avenue to Throgmorton Avenue (P.O. Directory). In Coleman Street Ward.
First mention : Lockie, 1810.
Former names : "Great Bell Alley" (part) (Horwood, 1799), east of Little Bell Alley. "Bell Alley, Ally" (q.v.) (Leake, 1666-Boyle, 1799).
At the north end of Copthall Court, at No. 4 and at No. 9 Angel Court, leading to Copthall Buildings. In Coleman Street Ward (P.O. Directory).
First mention : Lockie, 1810.
North out of Throgmorton Street at No. 30 (P.O. Directory). In Broad Street and Coleman Street Wards.
First mention : 1662, in Account books of St. Bartholomew by the Exchange, p.174.
Near Poppin's Alley, Fleet Street (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).
Not named in the maps.