Dolphin Alley - Dorset Court

A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


In this section

Dolphin Alley

In St. Catherine's Court, East Smithfield (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Dolphin and Three Colt Yard

Out of Crutched Friars (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle,1799).

Not named in the maps.

Dolphin Court

West out of Little Distaff Lane, in Bread Street Ward (Strype, ed. 1720-Boyle, 1799).

Site now occupied by offices and business houses.

Dolphin Court

South out of Ludgate Hill at 631/2 , in Farringdon Ward Without. "The Dolphin Public house" (P.O. Directory).

First mention : O. and M. 1677.

Strype describes it as small, having but one house, an Ale House with the sign of the Dolphin. It would appear to have existed in much the same condition down to the present time.

The name is derived from the sign.

Dolphin Court

West out of Noble Street, at No. 40, north of St. Anne's Lane, in Aldersgate Ward (P.C. 1732-Elmes, 1831).

Mentioned 3 W. and M. 1691 (L.C.C. Deeds, Harben Bequest, 1600-1700, No. 41). Named after "Dolphin" (The) at Aldersgate (q.v.).

Dolphin Court

North out of Tower Street, near Water Lane (P.C. 1732-Boyle,1799).

"Dolphin Tavern" in Strype (ed. 1720, 1. ii. 48).

Not named in the maps.

Dolphin Inn

A tenement called "le Dolphin" in parish of St. Dunstan in the west in Fletestrete, between "le Belle" east and Shire lane beside Temple Barre leading to Fykkettsfelde west, John Hornebye's garden north and the highway south, 1544 (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. (1), p. 636).

Seems to be Nos. 205-6 in Horwood, 1799.

Site now covered by the Royal Courts of Justice.

Dolphin Inn, Yard

On the east side of Bishopsgate Street. In Bishopsgate Ward Without (S. 167-Boyle, 1799).

Tenement called "le Dolphyn" in parish of St. Botolph without Bisshoppesgate, 38 H. VIII. 1547 (L. and P. H. VIII. xxi. Pt. 2, p. 415).

The inn seems to have been taken down towards the end of the 18th century and & Friends' Meeting House (q.v.) erected on the site.

Dolphin Inn, Yard

At the south-west corner of West Smithfield, with a passage south to Cock Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

The site has been rebuilt.

Dolphin Tavern

See Dolphin Court, Tower Street.

Dolphyn (le) upon le Hoop

A brewhouse tenement called "le Dolphyn upon le hoop" in parish of St. Magnus by London Bridge, 23 H. VI. (Anc. Deeds, C. 1964).

A tenement in Thames Street, 23 H. VI. (ib. C. 508), "Le Dolfyn on le Hoope."

Not further identified.

Dolton's Yard

North out of Houndsditch, in Bishopsgate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).

No further reference.


See Do Little Lane.


See Black Friars.

Dominion House

See Papillon's (Mr. Thos.) house.

Donne's Alley

Out of Noble Street, Foster Lane (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Dookynges Wharf

See Brook's Wharf.

Dorchester House

See London House.

Dorset Buildings

East out of Dorset Street to Bridewell Place, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.O. Directory).

Leads to St. Bride's Institute.

Formerly called : "Half Paved Court" (q.v.).

Renamed 1879.

Dorset Court

East out of Dorset Street at Nos. 15 and 16 (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.

First mention : O. and M. 1677.

It was formerly known as Salisbury Court, and the site was occupied by a large house built and inhabited by the Earls of Dorset. Shown on Leake's map, 1666. The house on being pulled down was converted into buildings, and formed Dorset Street, Dorset Court, etc.

It was a Liberty to itself, and claimed to be exempt from the jurisdiction of the City. No arrests were to be made within the precincts.

Lord Bacon resided in the Court at one time.

The site was originally occupied by the inn or town house of the Bishops of Salisbury.

Dorset Court

Out of Gunpowder Alley, Shoe Lane. In Farringdon Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.