A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
On the east side of St. Mary Axe at Nos. 24-28 (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.
Formerly Jeffrey's Square (q.v.).
On the east side of the Temple precincts (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).
So called from the Exchequer Office kept there.
On the west side of Ivy Lane (Leake, 1666).
After the Fire it seems to have been kept in the Temple precincts.
In Bartholomew Lane prior to 1666, when it was destroyed in the Great Fire. It was then removed to Bloomsbury, but not apparently for long. It was held in Sir John Frederick's house in Old Jewry, as shown in Strype's maps, 1720 and 1755, until 1768, when the Crown acquired the site of the old Gresham College and erected a new Excise Office there, shown in Horwood's map, 1799. It seems to have been in Broad Street at one time. See Old South Sea House.
The Office was removed to Somerset House in 1848 and the old site was sold.
See Ayre's Charity, Almshouses.