George and Vulture Tavern - George Street

A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


In this section

George and Vulture Tavern

On the north side of Lombard Street at the north end of George Yard, with a passage to St. Michael's Alley, and thence into Cornhill, another into Gracechurch Street and another through Castle Alley to Birchin Lane (Strype, ed. 1720, I. ii. 162). In Langbourn Ward.

Further north than the George (q.v.).

West of St. Michael's House (Overall, p. 290).

"George and Vulture Alley" there in Strype, ed. 1755 and Boyle, 1799.

George Coach Office

On the west side of Old Bailey, in Farringdon Ward Without (Lockie, 1810).

Not named in the maps.

George Court

Out of Old Change to Paul's Chain (Rev. of Lond. 1728-P.C. 1732).

Not named in the maps.

George Court

East out of Coleman Street, south of Bell Alley. In Coleman Street Ward (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

Called "George Alley" in Strype, 1720 and 1755.

"George Yard" in P.C. 1732-Elmes, 1831.

The site is now occupied by offices and chambers.

George Court

West out of Old Fish Street Hill, with a turning south to Upper Thames Street, in Queenhithe Ward (P.C. 1732-Elmes, 1831).

Formerly called Bell Alley (q.v.) and Brook's Yard.

See Brook Yard?.

George Court

West out of Bennett's Hill at No. 5, in Castle Baynard Ward (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831).

Removed for the formation of Queen Victoria Street.

George Court, Cloak Lane

See Maid Court.

George Court, Gravel Lane

North-west out of Gravel Lane. In Portsoken Ward (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).

Former names : "New George Court" (Strype, ed. 1720, I. ii. 27). "George Yard" (Rev. of Lond. 1728).

Removed towards the end of the 18th century for the erection of warehouses, occupied by the London and St. Katherine Docks' Company, and now by the Port of London Authority.

George Court, Seacoal Lane

See George's (St.) Lane.

George Court, Stoney Lane

North out of Stoney Lane. In Portsoken Ward (Horwood, 1799 to O.S. 25 in. 1880).

Built towards the end of the 18th century.

The site was cleared in 1884 for the erection of the City of London Artizans' Dwellings

George Hotel, Inn

On the east side of Aldermanbury at No. 22, north of Three Nun Court, in Cripplegate Ward Within (O.S. 1880).

First mention : "George Inn" (Strype, ed. 1720).

The site is now covered by St. George's Avenue, which commemorates the name of this old inn.

Bassett's Inn (q.v.) seems to have occupied the site in earlier times.

George Inn

West out of Grub Street to Three Leg Court, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720-Lond. G. 1758).

The site is now occupied by the Metropolitan Railway lines.

George Inn

On the north side of Snow Hill near Holborn Bridge, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).

With a passage into Cow Lane (Hatton, 1708).

See George Yard.

George Inn

West out of Coleman Street in Coleman Street Ward (Rocque, 1746-1755).

The site is now occupied by offices and chambers.

George Inn, Bread Street

House of Sir William Littlesbery, alias Horne, called "the George" in Bredstreete given by him to the Saltars (S. 247).

No later record.

George Inn, Little Britain

Trade carried on here before it was moved to Aldersgate Street.

See George (The), Aldersgate.

George Inn, West Smithfield

See George Yard, West Smithfield.

George Lane

East out of Pudding Lane, at No. 30, to Botolph Lane (P.O. Directory). In Billingsgate Ward, on the north side of St. George's Church.

First mention : O. and M. 1677.

Named after the Church.

George Street

West out of Mansion House Place to St. Swithin's Lane (P.O. Directory). In Walbrook Ward.

First mention : O.S. 1848-51.

Prior to this, the name was given to the street east of the Mansion House now called "Mansion House Place" (q.v.).

Former name : "Bearbinder Lane" (q.v.).

George Street

West out of Foster Lane at No. 28, nearly opposite Cary Lane leading to Dean's Court and St. Martin's le Grand (O. and M. 1677-Lockie, 1816).

The site was afterwards occupied by the Old General Post Office buildings, erected 1825-9.