Hermitage Brewhouse - Hide's Rents

A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


In this section

Hermitage Brewhouse

A Brewhouse "so called of an hermite sometime being there," at the southern end of Nightingale lane, E. Smithfield (S. 424).

The hermitage, called Swan's Nest, existed here 49 Ed. III. (Anc. Deeds, A. 2559).

This hermitage seems to have given its name, not only to the Brewhouse, but to the Stairs and the Dock, etc.

Hermitage Bridge

See Swing Bridge, Hermitage Entrance.

Hermitage by St. Bartbolomew's Hospital

Grant to Katheren, late wife of W. Hardell, of 20 foot of land in Smithfield, next to the Chapel of St. Bartholomew's Hospital to build her a recluse or Ankorage (S. 376).

No other record.

Hermitage Dock

See Hermitage Entrance.

Hermitage Entrance

The south-western entrance to the London Docks.

Other names : "Hermitage Dock" (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831).

Formed in 1827.

First called "Hermitage Entrance" and "Basin" in O.S. ed. 1848-51.

The inner part is called the "Hermitage Basin."

Hern's Buildings

See Hurn's Buildings.

Hert on ye Hop

A tenement so called without Crepelgate, 1348-9 (Ct. H.W. I. 530).

Not further identified.

Hertestrete, Herthstrete

See Hart Street, Mark Lane.

Hervey's Croft

Purchased by Sir Wm. Manny in 1371, from the Priory of St. John of Jerusalem, and added to Spital Croft for the site of the Charterhouse (Hendrik, p. 21).

Grant of 21/2 acres 36 perches of land in a field called "Herviescroft" without the Bar of Westsmethefeld, "ubi magnum claustrum Cartusientium cum novis cellis inceptum est," 50 Ed. III. (Aug. Office Conv. Leases, 34).

Heydon Court

Out of Heydon Square (Dodsley, 1761).

Not named in the maps.

Heydon House

See Haydon Square.

Heydon Passage

Out of Haydon Square (Dodsley, 1761).

Not named in the maps.

Heydon Square

See Haydon Square.

Heydon, Heydon's Yard

See Haydon Street.

Heyward's Buildings

See Paper Buildings.

Heywharf, Heywharf Lane

See Haywharf, Haywharf Lane.

Hick's Yard

Out of Angel Alley, Little Moorfields (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Named after an owner or builder.

Hide, Hides Market

See Leadenhall Market.

Hide's Court, Noble Street

See Hind Court.

Hide's Rents

South out of Chick Lane, and east to Blue Boar Court and west to St. John's Court, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

Site now covered by Smithfield Market.

Named after the owner.