Katones Lane - King Street

A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


In this section

Katones Lane

See Raton Lane.

Kayum Fractum

See Broken Wharf.

Kebb's Yard

In the Minories (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Named after an owner or a builder.

Kelles Alley

In the parish of St. Katherine Cristchurche near Billeter Lane. The Monastery of Evesham had messuages, garden, etc., in Kelles Alley, 32 and 36 H. VIII. (L. and P. H. VIII. Dom. S. XVI. p. 55, and XX. Pt. 2, p. 330).

Probably on or near the site of the Africa House.

Named after an owner.

Kennan's Hotel

See Golden Fleece Hotel, Crown Court, Cheapside.

Kennet Wharf

On the Thames, at No. 67 Upper Thames Street (P.O. Directory). Opposite Garlick Hill. In Vintry Ward.

First mention : Horwood, 1799.

Former name : "Black Swan Alley" (Leake, 1666, to Strype, 1755).

Devised in 1517 to the Brewers' Company, as "messuages, tenements, gardens and wharfs" (End. Ch. Rep. St. James, Garlick Hill, 1902, p. 4).

Kennet's Wharf Lane

South out of Upper Thames Street, at 66, opposite Garlick Hill, leading to Kennet Wharf. In Vintry Ward.

First mention : Lockie, 1816.

The lane is called "Kennet's Wharf" in Horwood, 1799.

Kenton Street

Mentioned in Act for paving, lighting, etc., parish of Holy Trinity Minories, 1771 (Tomlinson, p. 344).

Not further identified.

Kery Lane

See Carey Lane.

Ketton Street

See Cateaton Street.

Key (le)

A brewhouse in the parish of All Saints in the Ropery ("Roperia"). (Anc. Deeds, A. 1683).

Seems to have been rebuilt and called "le Key on le Hoop," 35 Hen. VI. (ib. A. 2186).

Not further identified.

Key Court

South out of Little St. Thomas Apostle, in Cordwainer Ward, east of Bow Lane (Strype, ed. 1720-Lockie, 1816).

Site now occupied by Cannon Street.

Name derived from the sign.

Kiffits' Court, St Michael's Lane

See Three Tun Court.

King and Key Coach Office

On the north side of Fleet Street at 142, in Farringdon Ward Without (Lockie, 1810-1816).

Not named in the maps.

King Edward Street

South out of Tudor Street to William Street in the precincts of Bridewell (O. and M. 1677-O.S. 1880).

Now called Kingscote Street (q.v.).

King Edward Street

North out of Newgate Street, at No. 82 to Little Britain (P.O. Directory). In Aldersgate Ward and Farringdon Ward Within. So named 1843.

Former names : "Stinking lane" or "Chicke lane" (S. 318). "Stinkendelane," 1285 (MS. D. and C. St. Paul's, Lib. L. fo. 93). "Stukande lane," 3 Ed. I. (Rot. Hund. I. 404). "Fowle lane or Chickine lann," 1546-1617 (Trans. L. and M. Arch. Soc. V. 421). "Butcher Hall Lane" (Stow, ed. 1633-Elmes, 1831).

In Horwood the northern portion into Little Britain is called "Blue Coat Buildings," and in Rocque "New Passage." In these maps and in O. and M. "Butcher Hall Lane" ends at "Bull and Mouth Street."

Called "Butcher Hall lane" as having the Butchers' Hall in it. "Stinking lane" on account of the smell of the slain carcasses.

Excavations made for building in 1842 revealed that the site had at one time been used as a Roman burial place and must at that period have been outside the City walls.

Named after King Edward VI. in commemoration of his interest in Christ's Hospital.

King Henry Yard

West out of Nightingale lane. In East Smithfield (Rocque, 1746-Lockie, 1810).

Former name : "King Harry's Yard" (Hatton, 1708-P.C. 1732). "King Harries Yard" (Strype, ed. 1720).

Removed for the formation of St. Katherine's Docks, 1827.

King Street

South-west out of West Smithfield, at No. 1 to No.10 Snow Hill (P.O. Directory).

First mention : Lockie. 1810.

Former name : "Cow Lane" (q.v.).

It seems to be known by both names in Lockie, 1810, and Elmes, 1831.

Called "King Street" in O.S. 1848-51.

King Street

South from St. Bartholomew's Hospital to Long Walk (Strype, ed. 1720-Boyle, 1799).

The site is now covered by the Hospital buildings.

King Street

East out of Church Entry, Blackfriars (Lockie, 1816).

Not named in the maps.