Little Knightrider Street - Little Moorfields

A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

'Little Knightrider Street - Little Moorfields', in A Dictionary of London, (London, 1918) pp. . British History Online [accessed 13 April 2024]

In this section

Little Knightrider Street

West out of Old Change to Bennet's Hill, in Castle Baynard Ward (Hatton, 1708-O.S. 1880).

Now called Knightrider Street (q.v.).

Little Lane

"Venella parva," 1310-11 (Ct. H.W. I. 217).

"A little lane opposite the Flete prison," 1340 (ib. 439).

See Fleet Lane and Smale Lane.

Little Lombard Street

West out of Three Crane Lane to New Queen Street. In Vintry Ward (Rocque, 1746).

Shown, but not named, in the other maps.

Site rebuilt in the early part of the 19th century.

Little London

Tenement of Robert Cok with houses and gardens in the parish of All Hallows "atte walle" called "littellondon," situate near a tenement belonging to the work of London Bridge, extending from the highway near London Wall north as far as the ditch of Walbrok south, 1388 and 1434 (Ct. H.W. II. p. 268 and 472).

No later reference.

Little Love Lane

East out of Wood Street at No. 37 (P.O. Directory). In Cripplegate Ward Within, with a passage south into Love Lane, on the north and east sides of St. Alban's Wood Street.

First mention : W. Stow, 1722.

Former name : "Passage to Wood Street" (Strype, ed. 1720, map).

Named after Love Lane.

Little Manor Row

East out of Manor Row, Little Tower Hill (Lockie, 1810).

Removed for the formation of St. Katherine's Docks and the adjacent warehouses, 1827.

Little Minories

See Church Street, Minories.

The bounds of Little Minories are set out in Letters Patent of James II. as follows : At the south-west corner near Heydon Yard Gate at the house of John Rushden northward to the street side 16 poles to the house of Dodson, this is the front of Little Minories west, thence east to a brick wall 9 poles, thence north through the house of Wm. Callie close up to the wall, 13 poles, thence eastward along the wall, which is the north side of the parish to the easternmost bounds or wall, 18 ft., thence south to the bottom of the orchard, houses and stables, some in possession of Sir Wm. Pritchard, 28 poles. Thence east through Heydon Yard Gate to the middle of the channel in the Minories, 23 poles. Between the channel and the houses, in a space enclosed by rails and trees 23 ft. broad (Bayley, II. p. cxx.).

Little Montagu Court

North-east out of Little Britain at No. 19, in Aldersgate Ward Without (P.O. Directory).

First mention : P.C. 1732.

Little Moor Gate

See Blomfield Street.

Little Moorfields

See Blomfield Street and Moorfields.