London Bridge Wharf - London Prentice yard

A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


In this section

London Bridge Wharf

On the east side of London Bridge and the south side of Lower Thames Street (P.O. Directory). In Bridge Ward Within.

Earliest mention : O.S. 1848-51.

It occupies the site of the Waterworks of Old London Bridge.

London Central Markets

On the north side of West Smithfield. In Farringdon Ward Without.

Erected on part of the site of the old Smithfield Cattle Market.

Metropolitan meat and poultry market opened 1867.

New provision market opened 1870-75.

Central Fish Market opened 1883, reopened 1889 as a poultry and provision market.

Fruit and vegetable market opened 1892.

See Smithfield Market.

London Coffee House

On the north side of Ludgate Hill at No. 42, west of St. Martin, Ludgate, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.O. Directory).

First mention : Horwood, 1799.

In 1806 some Roman remains were discovered at the back of the Coffee House, including an hexagonal altar or pedestal erected to Claudina Martina by her husband (Treloar, Ludgate Hill, p. 128).

London Commercial Sale Rooms

On the west side of Mark Lane at No. 20 (P.O. Directory). In Tower Ward (O.S.) extending to Mincing Lane.

Erected 1811 for the public sale of Colonial produce. Designed by J. Woods (Elmes, 1831). Recently rebuilt (Povah, 297).

London Corn Exchange

See Corn Exchange.

London County and Westminster Bank

On the south side of Lombard Street at No.21 (P.O. Directory).

First mention : O.S. 1875.

London County and Westminster Bank (Head Office)

On the north side of Lothbury at No. 41 (P.O. Directory).

First mention : O.S. 1875.

Occupies part of the site of Whalebone Court, Throgmorton Street (q.v.) of earlier times.

London Court

In London Street (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

London Fen, Lundene Fen

Mentioned in Edgar's Charter to Westminster, 951 (Kemble), as forming a portion of the natural boundaries between London and Westminster

London House

On the west side of Aldersgate Street, adjoining Bartholomew Close west, in Aldersgate Without and Farringdon Without Wards (Elmes, 1831).

Mentioned 1676 (L. and P. Chas. II., XVIII. 328).

So called as being, after the Restoration, for some time the residence of the Bishops of London, in place of their Palace in St. Paul's Churchyard.

Former names : "Dorchester House," as occupied by the marquess of Dorchester. "Petre House," as occupied by Lord Petre, but destroyed in the Fire of 1666 (Strype, ed. 1720).

Again destroyed by fire 1768, and afterwards rebuilt and occupied as a cabinet maker's manufactory, etc. (Elmes).

There is some account of the house with plans in Trans. L. and M. Arch. Soc. N.S. I (2), 53.

London House Yard

North out of St. Paul's Churchyard, at Nos. 74 and 79, to Paternoster Row (P.O. Directory). In Castle Baynard Ward.

First mention : O. and M. 1677.

The site was formerly occupied by the Bishop of London's Palace (q.v.).

Converted into tenements in Strype's time and called the Bishop of London's Yard.

London House Yard

On the west side of Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without (Lond. Guide, 1758-Elmes, 1831).

So called, as containing London House (q.v.), at one time the town house of the Bishops of London.

London Houses

Roman tiles used in the walls of houses were 17 in. long, 11 in. wide and 11/2 in. thick. The draining tiles made to fit into each other were 12 in. to 25 in. long, 4 in. to 8 in. in diameter.

The tiles were stamped with the names of Roman legions and cohorts in particular localities (R. Smith, Illus. of Roman London, pp. 114 and 116).

Houses were distinguished by signs in early times, as shown in views of the City, and the houses began to be numbered only about 1764, New Burlington Street being the first street so distinguished and Lincoln's Inn Fields the second. All the houses in the principal streets in the City were numbered when Horwood's map was published in 1799.

London Institution

On the north side of Finsbury Circus at No. 11 (P.O. Directory). In Coleman Street Ward.

Founded 1805 and meetings held first in a house in Old Jewry, then in King's Arms Yard, Coleman Street.

Present building erected 1819. Architect, Wm. Brooks.

London Insurance Office

On the south side of Cornhill in Ball Court and Birchin Lane (Rocque, 1746-Strype, 1755, I. p. 474).

Incorporated 1720 (Elmes, 1831).

London Joint Stock Bank

On the west side of Princes Street at No. 5 (Head Office) (P.O. Directory). In Broad Street Ward.

First mention : O.S. 1875.

On part of the site of Scalding Alley (q.v.).

London Joint Stock Bank

On the north side of Lothbury, between Founder's Court west and St. Margaret's Church east (P.O. Directory). In Coleman Street Ward.

Former name : "Imperial Bank" (O.S. 1875).

London Lying-in Hospital

In Shaftesbury House, Aldersgate Street.

Instituted 1750. Removed 1771 to City Road.

London Markets

See Cheapside, Cheap (west), Honey Lane Market, Fleet Market, Farringdon Market, Eastcheap, Billingsgate Market, Leadenhall Market, Newgate Market, London Central Markets, Smithfield Market, Old Fish Market, Stocks Market, Woolchurch Market.

These markets have not all been in existence at the same period, nor for the same purposes, and some are merely the successors of the older ones.

In addition to these permanent markets, fairs were held at specified times in specified places, as Bartholomew Fair, etc.

There is an interesting account of the amounts payable out of the annual rents of the markets in 1691-2 in H. MSS. Com. 13th Rep. V. 304-5.


London Prentice yard

East out of the Minories. In Portsoken Ward (Boyle, 1799).

Former name : "Ship Yard" (O. and M. 1677).

First called "London Prentice Yard" in Rocque, 1746.

When the "Old Fountain" Inn was pulled down in 1793, Fountain Court seems to Have been rebuilt and enlarged, so that it also covered the site of "London Prentice Yard."

See Fountain Court.